3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Another Great Year in Kansas  (Read 1042 times)

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
Another Great Year in Kansas
« on: December 20, 2010, 07:05:00 PM »
I had another amazing year in Kansas.  This year, my season really began on the evening of November 3rd.  I decided to go check out an area that I observed some great rubs breaking open while on a brief “bicycle” scout the week before.  The wind was just ripping out of the north.  I had hunted this area numerous times over the years, but like most situations, I rarely go into a spot more than once or twice a year.  This particular spot had not been hunted since 2008. I slipped in my portable fashion in the late afternoon.  I saw a couple of small bucks, then shortly before dark I could see a PY sized bruiser grunting as he walked 80-100 yards down in the bottoms.  It was getting dark but I decided to call him in.  If he came in quick enough I could get a shot before dark.  I ripped out a snort wheeze from my lungs and . . . game on!  He came in grunting like a bull.  His beams were out to his nose and he had great tine length.  Long story short- at the last minute he swung downwind and behind me at 16 yards.  As he came out from the backside of the tree I was busted just before I was ready to draw and lose the arrow!  What a great way to start the season.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Another Great Year in Kansas
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 07:10:00 PM »
What a rub?  Good grief. . .

If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 07:12:00 PM »
Over the next week I hunted a few days off and on and had a few good encounters.  No shots. . .

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 07:14:00 PM »
I then began my official annual time-off deer vigil on Saturday, November 13th.  I was really excited as it had rained and stormed all day before and the mature does should have been just shy of coming into the peak of estrous.  I could hardly sleep that night not being sure what area to hit in the morning for an all day sit.  I decided on an area I only hunted twice in the last ten years, though I have put three different friends in there over the years with two of them having encounters with PY caliber deer.

I got into the stand the back way as daylight was opening up.  The tree I was hoping to go to with the northwest wind turned out to not allow the shots I wanted without some noisy trimming of limbs.  Though the wind was not perfect, I went to the tree the other guys hunted out of over the years (usually with a southwest wind though!).  It still was not bad as deer could come from any side of that funnel.  If deer came on the bad side I still may have a shot just before they caught my scent.

Offline bad arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 08:38:00 PM »
Thats rubs scary big.....Phil

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 09:03:00 PM »
:thumbsup:

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 09:47:00 PM »
As for the rub- realize I am 6'4" 220#.  Compare the tree to my thigh!!  That is as big as an elk rub!!

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 09:49:00 PM »
As pink light increased on the overcast cold morning, almost immediately I had a small buck chasing a doe 50 yards out.  Here we go.  The Kansas rut was on!  The way I set my stand in the dark was just not real comfortable.  At 7AM I tried to re-maneuver the stand quietly but as I was farting around with it, a very nice two year old came in and busted me.  At least it was not a bruiser. I kept checking the wind with my baking powder checker as I knew the one possible direction would be a close deal.  If the deer came that way they would come off my west and to south side of me.  Hopefully I could get a shot before they caught scent on the northwest 15 mph wind.  

An hour after full sun rise I decided to rattle a bit.  I do not like “blind” calling as nine times out of ten the deer (especially mature deer) always come downwind.  But, I have had some great success with it the past few years at just the right time.  I do not just “tickle” the antlers, but use really mature horns and beat the crap out of them.  At 8AM I put on a good show for a minute or two.

Offline Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 10:28:00 PM »
Hmmm, this looks promising
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 10:48:00 PM »
It did not take ten minutes and down to my west and south I see this really good buck coming and grunting every step. He looked to be a 145+” 4 x 4 with really tall brow tines.  The thing I really noticed though was his body size.  He was just a brute.  He was all bristled up and did not appear to have a neck.  He looked like a big bear or a big barrel with short legs.

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2010, 10:53:00 PM »
This is heating up  :campfire:
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2010, 10:55:00 PM »
Within seconds he came from the west walking right up to me.  Just like I scripted, the deer was on my west and moving to the south to catch my scent at six, or seven yards.  I had been regularly checking the wind so knew I had mere steps before he nailed me.  He turned broadside slightly more as he was to pass the tree.  I knew now or never.  I quickly drew my Black Widow concentrating on a spot behind his shoulder blade as my periphery saw him look up.  Too late!  The arrow went right behind his shoulder blade but almost straight down.  The two bladed scary sharp German Kinetic buried right where I was looking.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2010, 10:56:00 PM »
The deer ran off with about 14-16 inches of my 32” arrow sticking out.  He crossed the river and proceeded up a steep ridge out about 75 yards out.  It was really thick, but it appeared that he had stopped and actually stumbled.  I thought I heard his body fall.  I was not sure.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2010, 10:57:00 PM »
The whole thing unfolded in less than 30 seconds.  I knew I had a dead deer down somewhere, but I was still a little nervous about a blood trail on a high hit and potential for just one lung.

Offline Follower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2010, 11:19:00 PM »
:thumbsup:  
I hope you can finish this up soon - its getting late but I want to see the photos@
"If any of you wants to be my follower, you must put aside your selfish ambition, shoulder your cross, and follow me...."  Jesus  (Mathew 16:24)

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2010, 11:20:00 PM »
:banghead:
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2010, 12:04:00 AM »
I waited a little over an hour before picking up the trail with a bit of apprehension.  I could see the deer’s running tracks in leaves, not surprisingly there was no blood.  I followed the trail maybe 25 yards when I found the fletched end of my GT 5575 snapped off.  I just continued following actual tracks as I made my way to where I had last saw him and the possible stumble.

At about 75 yards from the hit, there he lay.  I sat down in awe.  I am 50, but the first thing I did was call my dad!  

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2010, 12:06:00 AM »
The major thing to me was how big and heavy he was.  What a stud.  The autopsy showed that the arrow took out the top side of the closest lung while taking out the bottom of the off-side lung.  I am sure there was plenty of artery damage between the lungs.  

I could have never got him out whole without my backpack game cart.  Not surprising it took the better part of the day to get him out as he ended up weighing 218# field dressed!  The big part of his neck was 28” around!  I think I am getting older as lifting him into the back of my Explorer was all I could do!  (For those interested:  Roughly he had 23” main beams, 10.5” G2s, 9” G3s, the brows were thick and bladed at 6” and 7.75”.  Bases start at just under 6” circum. holding out to about 4” in the 4th circum.  He has a 17.5” spread).

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2010, 12:08:00 AM »
Right on!  Congrats!
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2010, 12:09:00 AM »
I am blessed man.  It is all a gift.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©