3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Which deer do you shoot????  (Read 1314 times)

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
Which deer do you shoot????
« on: December 21, 2010, 08:33:00 AM »
Here is a scenario..it's late Dec. two deer come within range. I adult doe with a yearling/fawn. Which one should you shoot?
I have always been taught to shoot the adult doe (probably b/c there is more meat to be had).
But, I have been rethinking this...and now I am thinking it might be better to shoot the yearling b/c the adult doe is probably bred. Plus, the fawn's has a less chance of surviving the winter.
I would love to hear what TG's opinion is on this

chris <><

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Which deer do you shoot????
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 08:37:00 AM »
I would probably shoot the mature doe.  I am out for meat and she would give me more.  One study i read said that the fawns of does that were killed had a higher long term survival rate.  However if it is a hard winter the fawn would be more likely to perish than the mature doe.  I guess it would come down to which one gave me the first best shot.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 08:41:00 AM »
I would shoot the adult doe....I say this because where I am at, we need to shoot more does (have a lot of them) and she would give me much more meat.  Down here the fawn will survive unless another hunter takes it (man or animal).  The best shot would factor in too.  And the size of the fawn.  I have killed fawns this time of year that were 90 lbs.  Plenty big enough for a fawn.
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive Council Member.

James V. Bailey II

Offline No-sage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 08:42:00 AM »
Depends on your deer herd.  

If the population is too high, shoot the doe.  

If the population is good, shoot the fawn.

If the population is low, shoot neither

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 08:43:00 AM »
honestly, this time of year, it would be whichever deer presented a good shot first...

"In range" doesn't necessarily mean that they've given you a good shot opportunity...

There's different biological arguments for taking one or the other, but by now I'm going to be looking for the first shot...

Can you tell I've not killed a deer yet this year?  :rolleyes:
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline bad arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 08:43:00 AM »
In a predators eyes, wouldn't the fawn be dinner? I would have no qualms going for the fawn. Tender meat, and would make a pretty throw rug or quiver....Phil

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 08:43:00 AM »
I would let the adult walk. Here in NH deer densities are not high so the actual number of deer is important. Whether or not I took either one would depend on how successful I had been up to that point. If you shoot the mature doe and she is carrying twins, and the fawn succumbs to winter you have actually killed four deer.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 08:47:00 AM »
I've also read that fawns can be bred during the second rut resulting in inferior genetics in the herd. True or not ? I don't know. I guess for me it would boil down to shot opportunity. Little ones are some good meat. For me it always boils down to last minuet decision of instinct.

Keeping the Faith!
Magnus
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 09:06:00 AM »
I agree with no-sage, and that's what I do.

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 09:09:00 AM »
Depends of where you hunt.Doe/buck ratio etc.
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Offline BamaBarebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 09:10:00 AM »
I would shoot both. I havent killed one this year yet.

Just kidding.
Bama Bows Hunter 53lbs @ 28”
Genesis 27:3

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 09:13:00 AM »
Where I am I will shoot the adult doe. We don't have a winter kill and we have way to many does.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 09:20:00 AM »
Where I hunt in PA we have very high numbers, however in the past few years a few guys in our group have been consistently killing "many" mature does and passing on the yearlings. This year we saw a considerable decrease in the number of deer on the property.  If you continue to take the mature does from the herd you will eventually feel the effects.

The yearlings are the easiest to replace. The mature does know the best hiding spots, the best areas to winter and the location of the food sources when winter gets bad. A happy balance seems to always work well.

Offline elknutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2010, 09:50:00 AM »
I'm thinking like Tim.  We have seen a marked decrease in deer numbers on the few private properties I am able to hunt.  I'm sure its for a variety of reasons, but we have stopped shooting does this year.  The landowners want them killed but my agenda is slightly different than theirs.
"There is no excellence in archery without great labor" - Maurice Thompson
"I avoid anything that make my dogs gag" - Dusty Nethery

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2010, 09:53:00 AM »
Ditto what Bill said.  Here in NY where I hunt the herd numbers are low.  I would let the adult doe walk, and maybe take the fawn if I needed meat and the shot was right.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2010, 09:55:00 AM »
Most likely neither. Definitely not the fawn.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2010, 10:04:00 AM »
If they were equally good shots, I would take the biggest one.  Unless I had to drag a long way, then the pocket meat gets it.  After you shoot hte adult, it is sometimes very easy to bleat the fawn back into range especially if the doe dies closeby.  We have lots and lots of deer though.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline trick00

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2010, 10:12:00 AM »
Here in south ark, winter kill is not even a factor(unless the 1/8" annual snowfall takes some out) and deer density is high so i would probably try for the adult first but i wouldnt hesitate to take the fawn if it looked like that was going to be my only opportunity

Offline Dusty Nethery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2010, 10:18:00 AM »
Originally posted by magnus:
I've also read that fawns can be bred during the second rut resulting in inferior genetics in the herd. True or not ? I don't know. I guess for me it would boil down to shot opportunity. Little ones are some good meat. For me it always boils down to last minuet decision of instinct.

Keeping the Faith!
Magnus
Not true. Genetics do not change with age.

Dusty

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2010, 10:20:00 AM »
Around here its a management issue. I would definitely shoot the doe first and then hope the yearling stood there long enough for me to get an arrow in it as long as it wasn't a button buck.

If it were a buck yearling I have heard (but am not sure) that if its mother is taken out it will tend to stay in the area for years to come.

The correct answer for you is all dependent on your local herd.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©