3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: really BAD day  (Read 505 times)

Offline Carbonkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
really BAD day
« on: December 21, 2010, 11:31:00 AM »
well it could be worse but MAN!what a day. i went to check my camera this afternoon on my private property and my camera was gone!! and i had 2 scent drippers hanging in different locations, they are also gone. what kind of person does this?! i really hope they dont call themselves, hunters. this is the first time ive had something stolen and it stinks! im afraid to even put another one out. im on a tight budget and cant just go buy a camera like its nothing, especially around this time of year! sorry guys i just had to vent:) anyone else had a camera stolen and also how to rig one so its less likely to get stolen?

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: really BAD day
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 11:52:00 AM »
This is pure speculation, but it's what I have thought about if I ever fell into it and came up with enough jing for a camera:

Why not place it high in a tree and use a wooden "wedge" to tilt the camera down to the ground for photos?

You won't get a ground view broadside of a big buck rack, but it should a) give you a good view of what's in your area and b) make it double difficult those who would tresspass and then steal.

BTW, if someone is going to trespass, why not steal? Both are illegal and stealing in a sense.
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 12:42:00 PM »
I have a small mig welder in my garage and I built my own camera security box from scrap steel that I had laying around in some boxes. I always carried home scraps from my last job building rock crushers because you never know when they will come in handy. I only wish I had saved more now.

I built it so the front was open and didn't interfere with the picture taking or the flash, but it's impossible to remove the camera from it. Then I welded two very large nuts, one on each side to run a cable lock through after it was strapped to the tree. It would be impossible for anyone just wandering through to remove the camera or the lock box without cutting the entire tree down. I guess if they want it bad enough, they will come back for it? But it will keep an honest man honest, but nothing will stop a thief if they are dead set on stealing from you.

I hope you catch whoever did this and give them a thumping, or have them arrested.
Sorry for your loss, I know how bad it sucks and these days you just can't trust anybody anymore.
I've even had traps stolen in the dead of winter around the river here where I live. So I know for a fact that it was another trapper who stole them, and not just somebody passing through. That is really bad when one of your fellow trappers would steal from you, I guess I was wrong to assume that we were all a "Brotherhood" and had a certain degree of respect and honor for each other. Honor, Integrity, and Respect are three virtues that the world is short on these days.......don't wrongly assume that everybody has the same values that you do.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 12:54:00 PM »
Semo I hate to do it but I have to disagree with your statement "it will keep an honest man honest".

If a person is honest, he's honest and if he's not all the time, he never was/is in my book.

I know that that old saying has been a round for a very long time but that still doesn't make it a "truth"

No offense meant toward you in any way, just stating what I believe.

God bless,Mudd

PS: Camokiller as someone who has lost a few things to thieves, I totally understand your feeling. I'm sorry for your loss.
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Carbonkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 12:56:00 PM »
very true! i started thinking, even if i make a lock box. a thief would probably just get mad and bust the front of the camera, if they couldnt get it out.

Offline GMASIUK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 02:29:00 PM »
I feel your pain! I had a double bull blind ripped off in October, less than two days after being set up on private property. It still really ticks me off! I hope the person that took it gets what he/she has coming, ten fold!

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 02:41:00 PM »
I bought my first cameras this year. I have two. I've had them out on private land a few times and I did worry a bit about them being stolen by a tresspassor. They were left alone.  I do try to hide them a bit and they don't flash. However, I have several pictures of deer looking right at the camera so I know the red lights blinking can be seen.

It would seem to me to be a very dangerous thing, stealing another man's blind, stand, camera?  How does the thief know they aren't being watched? I'd find out how much self-control I have if I ever witnessed such a thing. Heck, I give lectures when I see people leaving their dad-burned shopping carts lose in the parking lots!  Those of you who know me, know I'm not big or mean enough to be giving lectures!

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 03:49:00 PM »
I also built a angle iron frame for one of my wildview cameras. I have very limited welding experience so it's not pretty but it is functional. Of course it is only as good as the lock or chain I have attached to it.

I bought one of those metal boxes for a bushnell camera I have. It takes the cable lock called  the python. I thought that it (lock)looked pretty sturdy. I had my climbing stand locked to my truckbed and lost my key. I had to cut it. It was surprisingly easy to cut with some 14" bolt cutters.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline stevewills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 04:01:00 PM »
nothing worse than a thief or a lier....or a tresspasser.i say kick the crap out of them and when the cops show up say he threw the first one.say i coulda proved it but he stole the camera that woulda caught it....lol
i like biscuits

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 04:07:00 PM »
Sorry about your loss. I know how you feel as I've had a couple of climbing stands stolen before.

I tell ya what, it would be great if a person could buy two trail cameras and put one down low where you want it and put the other one up high in a tree, pointing at the other camera. That way you could get a picture of the thief as he was stealing your first camera!
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Online Adirondack Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 04:16:00 PM »
How about you booby trap it with a couple of pounds of C4 .

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 05:43:00 PM »
I always though one of those big ol' beartraps with the steel teeth could be very effective........
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 05:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by hvyhitter:
I always though one of those big ol' beartraps with the steel teeth could be very effective........
Let me guess????? Right in front of your camera right? I'll bet those pictures would be priceless!!!!!    :archer:  
Frank
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2010, 05:56:00 PM »
Let me guess????? Right in front of your camera right? I'll bet those pictures would be priceless!!!!!   :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:
Frank

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2010, 06:04:00 PM »
I camo mine as much as possible
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline BrianfromTulsa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2010, 06:22:00 PM »
Just Sunday, my buddy and I hunted land we own together.  When he came to pick me up after the morning hunt we exchanged our usual "what did you see's" and he explained to me that he saw nothing because he spent the morning wandering aimlessly because someone had stolen his stand.

Already know that I've got a camera coming for Christmas, no longer care about looking at deer pictures.  I will be implementing an operation stop thief program.

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2010, 06:52:00 PM »
Try the Bear Trap, that should stop a thief!!!
Frank

Offline Dave McDaniel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2010, 07:00:00 PM »
Yea, I lost a stand and a DB blind in the same year by trespassers. It sure do BITE!

Offline Encino Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2010, 07:05:00 PM »
Well..... Unfortunately the booby trap would get you thrown in jail. And the game warden would get you for trapping without a license. They just like to ruin all of our fun.   :saywhat:
Fox Archery "Red Fox"
53# @ 28" 64" longbow
Browning "Safari II"
44# @ 28" 60" Recurve

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2010, 07:20:00 PM »
Yeah I've had one stolen. A trespasser is already a thief and I suppose after getting his photo taken, it wasn't even a question of his ethics to remove the cam. I just wish he had taken the chip and left the camera, but I suppose that is wishful thinking at the highest level.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©