3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I AM COMING OUT OF THE CLOSET..........FINALLY  (Read 1537 times)

Offline Onestringer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
I AM COMING OUT OF THE CLOSET..........FINALLY
« on: December 21, 2010, 11:49:00 AM »
They say (who are "they" anyway) the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.  Our Missouri deer season is 3/4 over.  So far I have had a tremendous year.  I have killed 2 bucks (8 pt and 10 pt) and three does.

Its probably my wife's fault, she is the one that really got me started because its her thing.  With almost a month left of deer season and me beginning over 2 weeks of vacation I should be excited about the chance at another deer or two.  

However all I can think of are those crazy Thunder Chickens (thats turkeys for those that aren't rednecks).  I can't wait until Spring turkey season and begin chasing them with my bow.  There I finally admitted it, I think I would rather bowhunt turkeys than deer.  Its been building the past couple of years and this past Saturday I think turkeys finally tipped the scale.  

Who else just loves to chase turkeys with a stick and string?

Saturday I filled my fall turkey tags and now I have to wait 4 whole months before I can go after them again.

And to top it off, this video is from another farm I hunt that is loaded with Turkeys.  Don't these guys know its a little early to be strutting their stuff.

Sincerely,

Founding member of Bowhunting Turkeys Anonymous
Sights, SIGHTS, we don't need no stinkin sights!!!!!

If Geronimo shot a Black Widow, you would be speaking Apache.

TGMM Family of the Bow

http://www.onestringer.com

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I AM COMING OUT OF THE CLOSET..........FINALLY
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 11:58:00 AM »
Im a whack-o all the same! I live for my April turkey vacations. I try hard in the fall as well, but not much luck. My biggest draw is knowing I dont have to worry about scent or wind, just hunt.

Offline bluegrassbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 12:07:00 PM »
I'm right there with ya...Never thought I'd say it but I like turkeys better than deer...I think it's mostly because of the interaction that's involved with turkeys that I don't get with deer...plus the turkeys out number the deer around here...
"Life,Liberty & the pursue of deer & turkeys."

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 12:08:00 PM »
You know I was just thinking about deer season winding down and having to wait for turkey season to open.
I am like you I love them limb chickens!
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline rice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 12:12:00 PM »

Can't say i like it better than deer hunting, but I like it just as well.It kind of destroyed my bass fishing hobby in the spring though.

Chris
We do not stop playing because we are old. We grow old because we stop playing.

Offline bluegrassbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 12:12:00 PM »
I'd love to hunt some of the other sub species...My dream hunt would be Nebraska for Spring Gobblers..These Easterns around here can see ya change your mind...are the other breeds as nervous as the Easterns...
"Life,Liberty & the pursue of deer & turkeys."

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 12:20:00 PM »
They are already strutting here in NH. This has been a weird year.
The best things in life....aren't things!

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 12:26:00 PM »
thats an already awsome season,glad you came out of the closet,....were all nuts..  :bigsmyl:

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 12:39:00 PM »
"See ya change your mind"...I like that & how true it is. Turkey w/trad is a short list for sure. Huge season onestringer! Excellent!
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 12:41:00 PM »
Looks like some gringing in the making....I LOVE IT.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 12:52:00 PM »
Yup...yer one sick sucker to be tuanting us with so many deer opportunities and so many steaks in the freezer...

...and then the sacrilige of wanting to chase a 12-16# bird around instead!  :(  Tsk, tsk  :knothead:
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Onestringer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 12:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by Doc Nock:
Yup...yer one sick sucker to be tuanting us with so many deer opportunities and so many steaks in the freezer...

...and then the sacrilige of wanting to chase a 12-16# bird around instead!   :(   Tsk, tsk   :knothead:  
I can't help it, maybe I need to see a therapist?
Sights, SIGHTS, we don't need no stinkin sights!!!!!

If Geronimo shot a Black Widow, you would be speaking Apache.

TGMM Family of the Bow

http://www.onestringer.com

Offline thewal2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 12:58:00 PM »
I will be turkey hunting for the first time this spring...I ofcourse have a turkey tag for the fall incase one walks in front of me while I am hunting deer.  I have had 3 close calls with them in 2 seasons...one I had no tag but would have had a 12 yard shot.  The other 2 just never gave me a shot even though they were within 15 yards.  Frustrating...Im looking forward to calling and stuff!

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2010, 01:02:00 PM »
I have never killed a turkey with anyweapon much less trad! that is my voodoo critter - I get em workin then something will go wrong - to even have one shot on the way to me by someone I didn't know was there.

Gonna get a blind this yr for the spring season so I will have a better chance with trad.

No fall season here or I coulda stacked em up like chordwood. Go figure ---

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2010, 01:08:00 PM »
Hey, as long as something gets your juices going that's all that matters!     FIVE DEER?!!!
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2010, 01:15:00 PM »
i heard a tom gobble today at 7 05 am. on the first day of winter!! I could not believe it!  Cant wait , love the early warmth and wonderful green colors
Make a life, not a living

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2010, 02:16:00 PM »
Note the one turkey near the middle is our Narragansett hen "Wilma".  The three jakes are wild guests.  "Fred" was having a fit in the pen just off camera to the left.  What a hussey!  

This is taken out a house window.  Takes the edge off huunting them when you raise 'em.  ;-)

But it is handy to have a judge when I sit on the deck with my slate call and practice.    :biglaugh:    ;)
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2010, 02:42:00 PM »
very good
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2010, 02:50:00 PM »
I too enjoy turkey hunting with a bow. God willing I'm headed to Nebraska with my best friend for the first time this coming spring. We are allowed 3 turkey if we buy three permits. Merriams will be the species. My contacts say NE is covered up with em. I'll be hunting with a couple of wildlife agency folks.

Offline greyghost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2010, 03:13:00 PM »
Congratulations on a great turkey hunt and your fall birds. Great job.

Scott, you are very normal. I have been asked since folks know my addiction to our fine feather friends if I had a P&Y in front of me and called in a longbearded one standing side by side which one would I take. Thats a no brainer for me, Mr. gob is going down. There is another gentlemen on here from PA that has the same problem.

Fall season is my favorite time for turkey's. Busting up the flocks and calling them back. Just the tremendous vocalization one experiences in the fall from the birds is to me more exciting then spring, although the gobble and time to hunt is almost a tie to a good fall hunt.

Oh yea, glad to hear your wife has some great priorities for hunting also.

Earl

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©