3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: South Carolina Hogs  (Read 158 times)

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
South Carolina Hogs
« on: December 21, 2010, 03:25:00 PM »
I killed my first two deer with my recurve this year and have all the deer meat I need for the year so, my deer season is over and I'm all ducks and geese now....
With all that said, I don't want to wait until next deer season to hunt with my recurve again. After duck season is over I was hoping to try out my skills on some hogs. Does anyone know of some public land in SC that holds some hogs?  I have heard to the low counrty is full of hogs....  Thanks.
Blaine
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: South Carolina Hogs
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 03:48:00 PM »
Francis Marion State Forest is loaded with them. I've been hunting them up around the Jocassee Gorges in Pickens County.  I've seen a couple of real monsters up there.  The last three times I've been I've seen 20 hogs.  I wasn't able to seal the deal with my bow on one there, yet, but I'm confident I will soon. The mast crop has been so thick, the hogs aren't sticking to one spot.

There are some designated hog hunts in several different areas that will allow you to use your bow after deer season ends.  On public land, though, you're limited to using the weapons allowed for whatever season is in. So, being able to use a bow or centerfire rifle will end Jan. 1 on the WMUs.  On private land you can use whatever you want, whenever you want on hogs.

Where do you duck hunt?

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 03:59:00 PM »
I didn't know that WMA hog hunting ends on Jan. 1.  That sucks.  Are the designated hog hunts draw hunts?

I mostly hunt lake murray but, that's about to change.  I'm having a tough duck season so far.

Is "The Dark Corner" Monks Corner?
but the chase."

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 06:07:00 PM »
You can hunt hogs on the WMAs through March 1, but from Jan 1 to Mar 1, you have to use small game weapons (rimfire .22, shotgun with BB or less, not sure about handguns).  There are several special still hunts for hogs.  The special hunts are open, not draws, as far as I know.

I'm going to go down to hunt the Wee Tee area in March.  If you want to go with me, let me know. Maybe we could round up a few guys and make an event out of it.

Here's a list of the hog seasons:

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/regs/pdf/HogHunting.pdf

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 07:51:00 AM »
Count me in!  I'd like to meet a few other trad guys.
but the chase."

Offline scbowhnter

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 10:16:00 PM »
If you don't mind paying a little money you should check out Ray Hammond's Hog Heaven. Very reasonably priced and it's near Estill.

I'm sure you can find plenty of info on it here. He's a sponsor and runs a really good operation. Plenty of hogs and an all around good dude.
CJ

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©