3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Baiting Coyote Question  (Read 759 times)

Offline bad arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
Baiting Coyote Question
« on: December 21, 2010, 04:20:00 PM »
Theres an interesting thread in the Dangerous Game forum about baiting for bears using burning honey in a pot.You let it burn until it stops smoking and they keep following it to the source for days. Got me thinking if its possible with bears why not coyote? They are omnivores. Maybe add a little bacon? And as they suggest, burn it  off the night before and then maybe whammy them with a dying rabbit call. Anyone ever tried this or thoughts on this. We don't have bears here but it might be interesting to see what shows up.....Phil

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Baiting Coyote Question
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 04:28:00 PM »
I have been known to watch a deer carcass in a field and ambush coyote - usually not with a bow, however.  

I also know a farmer who used to hang woodchuck he had shot from a fence.  He often ended up with a coyote who was visiting the spot - conveniently visible from the farmer's back porch.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 04:28:00 PM »
:campfire:    :coffee:

Offline jason1040

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 04:44:00 PM »
That is a good idea   :thumbsup:  I think that I will start taking all of my duck and goose carcasses out to the desert in some likely spots. I think that I will have to take the shotgun though.
Todd Frickey Southfork Custom 70# @ 30"

Offline $bowhunter$

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 04:50:00 PM »
idk. sounds like a good idea. ive done that with carcases of raccon after i trap them. never got 1 but always get pictures of them. might have to try it.
"SHOOT STRAIT" - something im still working twards

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 05:06:00 PM »
we save alot of the bones from our deer,, put a bunch in a sack and hang that from something so its about 4' off the ground but tied up good.

someone posted in another thread to do this but do it next to a fence or river where they cannot circle, I leave that out all night after deer season closes on 12/31 we still have til march with the coyotes.
"Us vs Them"

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 07:23:00 PM »
Around here they freeze some guts etc in a pail with some water then use it for bait.  It keeps the coyotes/wolves in the area for longer because they can't eat all your bait as fast.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 08:48:00 PM »
Put a ham bone in a bucket, pour some cheap dog food over it to fill the bucket, and about 1 1/2 gallons of water.
Let it freeze.

Put the bucket where you want it, and pour some warm water from a thermos over the bucket to release the goods.

Crows and coyotes will appreciate it...but maybe not so much if you guard it with a weapon in hand.

Offline bad arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 09:44:00 PM »
I guess theres a myriad of ways to bring the critters in. I've used a bunny call several times but really never stayed with it to get one so I'm eager to try some of these different   techniques. I'll wait of course, until after the close of deer season which ends Jan. 17th here. I'd sure like to hear some more good suggestions. Our deer numbers here arent that good and coyotes are one reason I'm sure so I'd sure like to put a little dent in'em.  To be honest, I'd be happy if I brought a possum in longbow range....Phil

Offline chanumpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 09:55:00 PM »
Fish guts drive them bonkers.Also give a hyper hot elk call a try sometime,even where there arent any elk.Just remember,he is the"trickster"

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 10:05:00 PM »
One thing I like to do is on the last cut of hay or when we mow clover food plots in the late summer is to leave a raked windrow through the winter.  The coyotes will hunt up and down them through the winter.  We usually set traps for the coyotes on them, but you could leave them towards the field edges and bring them by close to cover in bow range.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 10:14:00 PM »
I use a howler this time of year because coyotes are very territorial this late in the year. They are establishing thier breeding grounds right now with the most breeding activity occuring in February. Challenge calls like yips, barks, and a bark..bark...short howl will challenge their territory and makes em mad.
I have frozen cut up beaver carcasses before in large ice cream buckets and set them out......I call em Beaver Cicles. I don't have much success hunting over them though because coyotes feed mainly at night, especially over baited areas. It seems like they just know something ain't right? It's kinda like the old saying "Nothings for free" and they will wait till after dark to raid the bait stations. It will....however.....keep them in the area since they know there is available easy food nearby and that will make them come to some challenge calls easier.

If you ever have a barking, yipping coyote circle you from about 50 yards out when it's almost dark and your 15' up in a treestand......knowing that you still have to get down and walk the 1/4 mile back to the house in the dark.......you will never forget it! It's a thrill that cannot be duplicated unless you live in wolf country.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline BamaBarebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 10:22:00 PM »
I used a dying rabbit call to bring one in. Will be trying that again. Got my blood pumping for sure.
Bama Bows Hunter 53lbs @ 28”
Genesis 27:3

Offline BamaBarebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2010, 10:22:00 PM »
That was Friday. If it matters.
Bama Bows Hunter 53lbs @ 28”
Genesis 27:3

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2010, 09:08:00 AM »
Live cats.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2010, 09:37:00 AM »
Hahaha, An out of the closet "Cat Hater" I like it Mike.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline sswv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2010, 09:39:00 AM »
a couple live chickens (one will work). put'em in a very open area with one leg tied to about 3-4 feet of parachute cord. be sure to put out a little scratch feed and water to keep'em busy. them chickens pecking and scratching will drive EVERYTHING wild.

also works great with a trap set around that area.

Offline bad arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2010, 09:46:00 AM »
sswv- I could'nt stand the thought of sacrificing my good layers. If my little egg machines are gone, what would I eat for breakfast!? Now the cat might be a different story  :D  ....Phil

Offline sswv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2010, 11:09:00 AM »
hey bad arrow!   if you're REALLY good, the chicken WILL NOT be harmed. LOL    :biglaugh:

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2010, 11:40:00 AM »
Years ago when yote hunting on a friends family ranch. We would put out dry dog food and mix in some meat cutting from a butchers shop... Do some dieing wabbit calls and they eat it up, turn on spot light and Bang... died yotes...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©