3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who shoots wood only???  (Read 1521 times)

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who shoots wood only???
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2010, 10:40:00 PM »
I shoot wood.

At first I shot some carbons.
They didn't shoot well out of my bow.
Nothing wrong with the arrows. At the time I just didn't know anything about trad archery. They were just WWAAAAYYY off spine.

A buddy had some wood arrows. Ends up they were spined about right and shot well.

I liked the added quietness of the heavier arrow.
I also liked the natural/traditional look to them.

I've been shooting wood ever since.
More of a reluctance to change now than anything else...If it ain't broke don't fix it type deal I guess.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Brently

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2010, 01:12:00 AM »
Only wood, I enjoy making them and trying different colors and cresting and feathers.  

Wood only for me also.  I enjoy making arrows and trying different colors,cresting and feathers.  Just something about wood, if you don't use it you don't know.

w

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2010, 02:02:00 AM »
I started making and shooting arrows from birch a few weeks ago.  Totally new to the experience since all I had shot before was carbon and aluminum.

I went hunting the last 2 days and did a lot of scouting during the middle of the day.  As I walked along I wanted to see how well the wood arrows held up to stumping.  I shot the same arrow for two days and hit all kinds of stuff including richochets off tree trunks and was happy to find the shaft was fine.

Pretty stout arrows from my point of view and since i made them that's even better.  Now if I can only see a deer to try one on.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2010, 05:01:00 AM »
thank you mr taylor

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2010, 05:12:00 AM »
Originally posted by Plumber:
thank you mr taylor
Eh? I may be guilty of many things but not sure what I did here.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2010, 07:40:00 AM »
Only wood for me.  Just seems like that is what they should be made out of.  Mostly douglas fir but some laminated birch on occasion and I have some real nice cedars with a purple heart foot that I have been hunting with this fall.

Online stillhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2010, 08:50:00 AM »
POC Call me a romantic but that smell triggers alot of good memories.Make up a dozen shafts and shoot them.If one or two fly off break em and smell em! All kidding aside wood is great stuff and feels right out of a trad bow.Try some cordovan leather dye for stain with some natural barred.

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2010, 08:55:00 AM »
I didn't always shoot wood only but for the past 4 or 5 years and into the forseable future it will be wood only.  My favorite is cedar and I buy all of mine from Rose City.

Offline Drakho

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2010, 08:55:00 AM »
Only wood for me too... Ash actually... and only treated with linseed oil.

It's what works best for me (and what looks best)

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2010, 08:57:00 AM »
me
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2010, 08:58:00 AM »
Originally posted by snag:

Originally posted by Rob DiStefano:
not me, i don't shoot woods exclusively, but i do love a good wood shaft.  these dayze, getting GOOD WOOD ain't easy and you'll easily pay as much for a dozen raw woods as you will for carbons and be lucky if 6 woodies are decent.

back in the early 60's i'd buy a gross (144) 11/32" acme poc shafts and get well over a hundred that were superb in every way.  these dayze, out of a 100 shafts you might get 24 really good ones - if yer lucky,  lotta wasted dollars.

love the woods, but consistently and practically speaking, carbs are the better choice for me.
That's why you need to try douglas fir shafts Rob!     :thumbsup:  [/b]
i doubt there's a wood shaft genus around that i haven't used at one time or another.  right now, i like the surewood fir i get from tim @ braveheart, but i'm also liking the birch doweling i got from woodcrafters (kudos to maddog mike).

still, for me, carbons rule the roost when it comes to durability, consistency and accuracy.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Jason in Bama

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2010, 09:01:00 AM »
I'm with Rob.
Your sole purpose in life may be to serve as a warning to others.
The journey is the destination.

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2010, 09:16:00 AM »
Wood only. Because its Traditonal/Primitive.

I make my own from boards, because I dont have a life. Right now I am using poplar and footing about half with hardwoods, my favorite non footed shaft wood is ash. I love it when people ask me "how long does that take", I just smile and say as long as it takes.

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2010, 09:33:00 AM »
I got wood! Nothing like having some good wood to get the job done right.   :goldtooth:   Thats all I shoot and I have cedar,fir,magnolia and looking for others always. It just feels more natural to me.JMHO
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2010, 09:49:00 AM »
Rob,  I've seen a lot of arrows for sale in a lot of places but cedar shaft costing as much as carbons?  I just bought 3 dozen Laquered crested and nocked cedars from Rose city for $40.00/dz.  All I needed to do was fletch them and cut them off.  Where are you buying carbons for that price?

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2010, 09:49:00 AM »
I'm an ash man. I thoroughly enjoy crafting my arrows because it allows those of us that aren't as talented and creative as many of you on this site to at least think that we have some talents. Also I believe the shaft better carries the weight over the distance allowing for a higher percentage of pass throughs.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2010, 10:01:00 AM »
Originally posted by Rob DiStefano:
. . . still, for me, carbons rule the roost when it comes to durability, consistency and accuracy.
That's what we'd expect from the "Techie" guy.    :biglaugh:  

As John F. Kennedy said: "We choose to shoot cedar not because it is easy, but because it is hard, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept."

At least I think he was talking about cedars.  Shooting something at something else, certainly.    :dunno:
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2010, 10:07:00 AM »
I'm rethinking the subject,my zipper loves the woodies I've got so I'M thinking of making some up,but I doubt that I'll shoot them exclusively.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline bad arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2010, 10:15:00 AM »
Shooting POC that I put together. However I am Mr.Inconsistant in my grouping. Next time I need arrows I think I'm going to get a few carbons as been suggested and just to see how much is my fault and how much of it is the arrows....Phil

Offline cedar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2010, 10:30:00 AM »
Im my compound days, I shot aluminum.  With trad bows, I hunt and shoot 3D with wood and shoot paper targets with either aluminum or wood.  Not much experience with carbons.  Longbows and wood just seem to feel right to me.  I enjoy making wood arrows as much as shooting them.  Each wood shaft has its own character.  For years I used POC from Rogue River, now I buy from Wapiti Archery.  Both make excellent shafts.  My last two dozen, I dedided to try DF from Surewood Shafts.  I haven't got to shoot them yet, but if they shoot as good as they look and I certainly expect them to, I'll have two favorite wood materials to play with.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©