3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who shoots wood only???  (Read 1519 times)

Offline Pepper

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who shoots wood only???
« Reply #80 on: December 23, 2010, 09:36:00 AM »
As usual Rob, you are right on target.
I have shot all of them, and prefer to shoot wood, but, I still use carbons, properly spined and weighted to hunt with.
I love to build wood arrows,and that is what keeps me shooting them, as well as they way they feel.
Archery is a family sport, enjoy it with your family.

Offline First White Falcon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: December 23, 2010, 12:05:00 PM »
Sitka Spruce!

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: December 23, 2010, 05:11:00 PM »
I like carbon, and I love to tinker, so I'm sure I'll jump back to them every once and a while. But I really have no need to. Doug fir gives me a nice do-it-all hunting and target shaft, while hickory has proven as tough as all but the toughest footed carbons. Only thing I've used as tough was a footed Grizzlystik carbon. That's saying something.
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline hvac tech

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: December 23, 2010, 06:13:00 PM »
well my one buddy started shooting aluminum from wood . he said they were cheaper and all that stuff .well if you are comparing buying like rob says yea he is right . but i have a few shafts in the reserves . i bought them really reasonable .buy the hundred 25 to 35 cents a pc so i can cull them out you know what i mean right now the feathers are costing me more than the shafts . i did switch to aluminum to hunt with and they fly perfect and all the ones from here on will no guess work like wood. but all and all  i still like wood it does have a nice warm look while hunting no hollow banging sound

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: December 23, 2010, 07:08:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Rob DiStefano:
......."so, for all you folks who poo-poo carbons or alums, y'all shooting self or backed bows?  NO???  you got glass in yer bow limbs??? or worse yet carbon or foam???  OH NO, yer 'techie' guys too!       :thumbsup:
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Northwoods

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: December 23, 2010, 08:41:00 PM »
Wood only here. I like making my own stuff, I like the way wood arrows look and they've worked well for me.  Oh, and I like the smell of broken POC shafts.

Ted
Be strong and of good courage, do not be afraid or be dismayed for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go - Joshua 1:9

Online jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: December 23, 2010, 08:51:00 PM »
Wood for me too.  Either douglas fir or ash.  I've been shooting mostly douglas fir for the past couple years, but I think I'm going back to ash with my new longbow for its weight and durability.

Don't want to offend anyone here, and you can shoot whatever works for you, but I've always had the belief that shooting carbon arrows from a longbow is kind of like using a night crawler on the end of a fly rod.  It may be effective, but something just doesn't seem right about it.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: December 23, 2010, 10:38:00 PM »
I shoot wood but was once told isn't carbon actually a natural material in it's raw form? Hence carbon dating old things. Let's face it carbon has been around a long time. I know it's not the same as carbon arrows but shoot what you want. That's the beauty of trad archery it all works if you do it right.

Keeping the Faith!
Magnus
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline Steve Van Buren

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: December 24, 2010, 01:10:00 AM »
Wood for me.  POC and Doug Fir.  Still shoot the Eastons when I dust off the compound, but I started out with wood and feathers and nothing else works as well for me shooting off the shelf with a longbow.

Offline Pepper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: December 24, 2010, 01:39:00 AM »
Lets throw a little gas on the fire.
Last I knew, wood is carbon.  :bigsmyl:    :bigsmyl:
Archery is a family sport, enjoy it with your family.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: December 24, 2010, 09:18:00 AM »
I make and shoot selfbows. I make my own wooden shafts by handplaning white pine usually. I also harvest hardwood shoots and wild rose shoots from nature. I just love working with wood. I guess I inherited that from my Dad, Lord rest him. For my bow and for my arrows the Lord does  the work.  :)  Jawge

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: December 24, 2010, 09:52:00 AM »
Nice to see you again George. Hope you hang around awhile. Good input.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: December 24, 2010, 10:03:00 AM »
I have to confess that I bought half a dozen carbons earlier this year, and they shoot great, but they don't have the mojo of wood. They are used as virtually unbreakable stump shooting arrows. Everything else is wood, and will continue to be.
BTW, I just got 2 dozen POC shafts from Rocky Mt. Specialties, and they are hand spined and weighed within 5 grains...$38/dozen. Very nice shafts.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline nkw880

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: December 24, 2010, 11:47:00 AM »
i shoot woood only because my brother will not build any other arrows for me we played with some swaged easton autumn hunters theyre beautiful but i think they are loud so they just sit around and collect dust but i do shoot ash cedar and birch shafts and love all o them
martin hunter 62" 55#
74 Kodiak Magnum 52" 45#
Tomahawk SS 64" 57#

Offline snow leopard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: December 24, 2010, 01:07:00 PM »
i went over to aluminum back in the late '70's for a short time. been cedar and sitka spruce since then. i love wood arrows---.
"the symbol is not the reality"

compton traditional bowhunters
wisconsin traditional archers

Offline NTD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: December 24, 2010, 01:33:00 PM »
I prefer shooting grass, tonkin cane that is.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©