3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Buffalo question  (Read 1169 times)

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
Buffalo question
« on: December 21, 2010, 05:33:00 PM »
I have been asked to shoot a buffalo for a friend. They are planning to butcher it and in the past they have had trouble with the police for shooting a gun to put them down. The pens are at the edge of the city limits so they wanted to know if I would use my bow to kill it. I know this isn't a hunt but before accepting their offer I want to be sure I can make a clean kill. I'd be using 28 1/2" carbons with a 200 gr internal footing and a 150 gr magnus 1 with a 100 gr steel insert. This gives me a FOC of over 30% and an arrow weight of 675gr. I'd be shooting that out of my 55# longbow. So do you think that is an acceptable setup. Mods if this is unacceptable for this site please remove it with my apologies.
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Buffalo question
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 06:02:00 PM »
A buff is a buff, a big tough animal. Some diehards on here will freak out if you don't call it a bison but whatever.  I took mine with a Grizzly Stik and STOS head at a total of about 1000 grains out of a 76# silvertip.
However, my friend took one a year layer with an Olympic setup, shooting Carbon Express with Magnus heads. Still heavy draw, I think it was about 80#'s. The arrows weren't nearly as heavy though. He got a complete pass through mid way up the body just about eight inches behind the front leg. It looked beautiful, but two hours later there was a very angry bison still on his feet ready to take out anything that moved. Very dangerous.  Quartering away is very important if you can. Stay about a quarter of the way up from the belly right behind that leg and you'll get into the boiler room. I can't tell you that your setup will work as I've nevcr shot one with a lighter setup, but if you put a super sharp two blade broadhead in that spot your chances are increased dramatically. Do not shoot a three blade head no matter what anyone argues. You need as little resistance as possible going into that giant animal with a light bow like that..
As far as the pen thing, the buff is going to get shot no matter what by you or the other guys for meat. You might as well get the experience of taking it with a bow as far as I look at it.
I don't believe the native americans shot 1000 grain arrows out of 80# plus bows, so maybe you'll do fine?  But I am assuming here.
David M. Conroy

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 06:02:00 PM »
If that Magnus is good and sharp that should do nicely. A friend of mine killed one a few years back shooting 60# but a lighter arrow, around 550 grns with a three blade 125 thunderhead.
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline RUSTY1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 06:08:00 PM »
Man, I swear someone on here was in this same situation about a year ago or so!!!
R.J. Fens Jr.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 06:09:00 PM »
We use to sell about 100 a year at a state auction in Kansas.  I hope the pen is very strong. I saw a 3.5 year old bull go right through a 2x12 treated lumber fence wall as if it were paper because we separated him from the other animals. Being a herd animal they don't much cotton to being put in solitary -- your bison might already be used to this separation though.  

I can't imagine what a confined bison would do when mortally hit?  It would be best if the Bison were shot in way that it didn't know from wence the shot came from. Then, a razor sharp broadhead in the boiler room might not alarm him terribly. I wouldn't want a Bison be motivated to run a particular direction -- towards or away from me.  

By the way, unless it is illegal I'd have a back-up firearm handy in case the beast is about to get out. I'd rather have a loaded firearm than a loaded bison on the loose.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 06:50:00 PM »
Doug Campbell has killed a bunch with a bow....made a great shot with a 53# or 57#(I can't remember) selfbow with a wood arrow and a flint head that died in 7 seconds.

Here's a couple of threads that might be helpful.

thread 1  

thread 2
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 06:56:00 PM »
Thanks Terry! If this isn't appropriate for PowWow please feel free to pull it. I just have to take this choice seriously I don't want to turn anyone against bowhunting and I don't want to not do the animal justice.
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 06:59:00 PM »
Terry Didn't you shoot a Bison a few years back.. I can still see that avatar now thinking about it... What did You Use and how far did it run?

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 07:01:00 PM »
"Clean" kill?  At some point that buffalo may realize it's life blood is ebbing away and may decide the pen is a bad place.  Could get exciting.  I've helped do cow with a .22 MAG pistol and it is lightning fast on a steer's forehead and not very loud.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 07:05:00 PM »
Here ya go Mystic....

A Montana Longbow Adventure
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 07:09:00 PM »
what stump said...

Offline Leland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 08:13:00 PM »
Your set-up is fine,how the bison is going to react is the problem.As far as shooting them in the head with a pistol,their a whole lot thicker then a cow.
Leland

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 08:24:00 PM »
Before anyone else suggests using a 22 the reason they asked me is they had trouble with the police using bigger guns so last year they used a 22 thinking they wouldn't cause problems with them and the first shot between the eyes ricocheted off. It took them 24 shots to put it down. They didn't want to go through that again. The location and situation of this is the biggest problem for them. Everything is legit but the location causes problems.

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2010, 09:06:00 PM »
Benbow,
Your setup is fine.  The most important thing is to put the arrow where it needs to go:  Study the buffalo/bison’s anatomy, it is different then a deer, elk or hog.  Doug Campbell knows more about killing these critters then anybody I know send him a PM and ask him for some advice on where to aim and any anything else he might recommend.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2010, 09:28:00 PM »
Best of luck and let us know how you make out.

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2010, 09:43:00 PM »
Doug got to be friends with them before making them dinner!!!     :biglaugh:
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Offline Carbon Jack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2010, 06:35:00 AM »
I have to think if the Plains Indians killed buffalo with their primitive 40 pound bows and stone tips, you should be OK with your setup.

Or you could make up a huge spear like a Zulu warrior carries and have a go at the buffalo with that. Now that would be sporting. lol  I've always wanted to kill a whitetail from a tree stand with a steel-bladed spear. A buffalo in a pen with a spear. Now that would be interesting. And very quiet except for your screams as he turns on you after the first "probe".

Hey, it's just an idea.

Jack

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2010, 07:15:00 AM »
I took a yearling bull a couple years back with a 50 # curve and 750 grain carbon and a grizzley 160 head.  Complete pass through.

My advise in this situation is keep shooting.  No reason to shoot once and watch for an hour in a pen.  Get two or three arrows in the heart lungs quickly and make it a fast death.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2010, 07:28:00 AM »
PLEASE!!!

Keep us posted.

I want to hear how everything works out for you and the buffalo/bison.

Can I ask if you'd consider wearing a heart monitor during the event. It could tell us if your are 2 or 4 cycle driven...lol

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2010, 09:01:00 AM »
your answer was here in several threads.  

YES  your set up will work,

YES study their anatomy. .  even 5 minutes of your time will tell you where to aim and where not to aim,  and

YES, try to shoot it several times.  It is caged and will not likely run away.  Get er done.

ChuckC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©