3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow Quivers on a Howard Hill Style Longbow?  (Read 969 times)

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow Quivers on a Howard Hill Style Longbow?
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2010, 11:19:00 AM »
In a nutshell EEWWWWWWWW! that would make it look like a hermaphrodite.    :goldtooth:    JMHO

Disclaimer: no offense to any TG hermaphrodites.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Rik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2010, 09:57:00 PM »
Okay, I have to believe you guys are already seriously into the Egg Nog.

Normally, even the slightest mention of spray painting my Hill bows makes the wheel come this website almost immediately.

What's the story? Are you guys and gals all filled with the Christmas Spirit or what?

(Yeah, me too. . . I love Christmastime!)

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2010, 08:58:00 AM »
It's simple; you dont decorate the American Flag after you buy it,a Hill is kinda the same thing. Don't mess with perfection! And please slap yourself for putting the words spray paint and Hill bow in the same sentence.    :thumbsup:

And I dont drink I get loaded on Trad hunting and life.   :goldtooth:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2010, 09:52:00 AM »
Used a killer leather Selway for awhile w/o problems. Trouble started when I took it off & couldn't hit a mule's butt! Backquivers since.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Buckwheaties

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2010, 11:39:00 AM »
I can see the right bow quiver on a Hill for some people. (not me) But the thought of "spray paint" makes me gag.. on a beautiful Hill?? Now way.. Even the bow quiver is a slight insult but paint.... give me a break..
"Don't listen to what they say, watch what they do."

Offline Rik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2010, 01:38:00 PM »
If you look close, you can see the excellent, highly artistic spray-paint job on the face of this Wesley Special. It made for a nice, close 3 1/2 yard shot on the bull that, as you can see, left a bit of a trail.

And now. . . some fine and pleasant poetry for your reading pleasure this Christmas Weekend:

WITHOUT A GOOD COAT OF SPRAY PAINT,

A GOOD HUNTING BOW IT AIN'T.

IT MAY CAUSE SOME TO FAINT,

BUT A PAINTING A HILL IS THE WORK OF A TRUE SAINT.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2010, 01:59:00 PM »
Paint a Hill!!!  :eek:  Rik, you are one twisted, demented person!   :smileystooges:    :laughing:    :laughing:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2010, 02:49:00 PM »
Bow quivers , camo paint jobs ... ggggeeeessshhh Rik , next You'll be spraying that Sunset Hill ... ain't enough egg nogg in the world to explain that one away ....
Merry Christmas my far off elk hunting mate !
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline 3Under

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2010, 03:01:00 PM »
Rik, I'm too lazy to paint! I have used a bow bra (er sock) mainly for scratch/dent protection. Some braggerts say they could kill game in a white tux with a all pink bow and pink fletched arrows!I don't know about at 3.5 ft. with that kind of outfit!

Merry Christmas to all
The ole guy
PBS,KTBA,HCB,UBK

...  When thru the forest glades I wander and hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees, when I look down from lofty mountain grandeur and hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze, ...How great Thou art!

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2010, 09:36:00 PM »
notice....Rik hasn't shown any photos of his 'Sunset' with painted limbs....no need to turn that gorgeous lady into a paited hussy.  and oh....what about shooting big animals without painted limbs...huh Rik?  are we talking 40"r?

Offline Rik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2010, 11:58:00 AM »
You guys are good sports, putting up with my attempts to tease you about bow quivers and spray painting Hill bows (although I sense that Nate is a little worried about me possibly putting paint on the beautifully carmelized limbs on the Sunset Hill bow he made for me).

Don't get me wrong, I like back quivers, and use them for hunting small game all the time, but I have yet to figure out how to hunt big game with them in the kind of thick country that I hunt, while wearing a large pack (see photo below).

I always carry enough gear to be able to spend a night or two out in the bush away from camp if I have to, and it's hard to get a back quiver to ride correctly with a big pack on my back. The picture below kinda shows the problem.

Back quivers and backpacks just don't fit together well enough for quick drawing and shooting. Sure, I can put a back quiver over my pack, but it just doesn't ride where it's supposed to. Without a big backpack, no problem. WIth a big backpack, big problem.

Now, where'd I put that can of spray paint. . .

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2010, 08:55:00 PM »
I like and prefer back quivers over all others but I do a fair bit of fly camp hunting and i hunt in between bivvy spots so a back quiver then is just not practical ...
But , if i am not hunting with all my bivvy equipment i use a back quiver and a Bison Houndsman for my incidentals . When I hunt New Zealand in 3 months it will be with both a back quiver and a bow quiver or Bower side stalker for overniter hunts.
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Hatrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2010, 09:31:00 PM »
Rik, what make quiver is that? It looks like a Selway hood and an old Delta on the bottom. I love those Delta style arched arrow holders just never seen one on a quiver like that.

Maybe even a couple of "old school" Ribteks on those arrows??

I love a bare longbow but I always seem to shoot better with the extra weight of a quiver hanging from it.
The scent of Autumn is like food to the hunters soul.

Offline Rik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2010, 10:10:00 PM »
Photos on the way boys, photos on the way (at least, they are on the way if my digital camera works at below zero on the first morning of 2011.

My FrankenQuivers, my Hill Quivers, and my Shoshone Plains Quivers.   Stay tuned. . .

The Shoshone is my favorite, but then I WAS raised in Blackfoot, so there's no surprise there. I Just haven't figured out how to kill an elk with one.

Kinda thinkin' a New Year's Resolution regarding no bow quiver is in order, but with the wolf situation here, it might be too difficult to accomplish. I don't buy meat, so failure means vegetarianism. My Northmen ancestors would really frown on that.

Offline Rik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2010, 10:20:00 PM »
Photos on the way boys, photos on the way (at least, they are on the way if my digital camera works at below zero on the first morning of 2011.

My FrankenQuivers, my Hill Quivers, and my Shoshone Plains Quivers.   Stay tuned. . .

The Shoshone is my favorite, but then I WAS raised in Blackfoot, so there's no surprise there. I Just haven't figured out how to kill an elk with one.

Kinda thinkin' a New Year's Resolution regarding no bow quiver is in order, but with the wolf situation here, it might be too difficult to accomplish. I don't buy meat, so failure means vegetarianism. My Northmen ancestors would really frown on that.

« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2010, 11:55:00 PM »
I tried one on one of mine once, to each his own, the one i had was a Selway. I suppose if I was wearing a back pack or something I would have thought it worked.  I did not like the feel with it.
:In a nutshell EEWWWWWWWW! that would make it look like a hermaphrodite: Turns out one of the Christian School teachers we had was a hermaphrodite, the beard and bass voice was a dead give away.  I would say that a Hill with a good bow quiver is not quite the same as the bearded "lady".

Offline Rik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2011, 01:21:00 PM »
Lest you think me a total Neanderthal, here are some photos taken this morning to prove I actually have hunting quivers that do not attach to my bow. These photos should calm Nate down a bit-----the Sunset Hill is still free of spray paint and as pretty as the day she came home with me for the first time.

(, , , and yes, the camera does work when the temperature is just above zero, however, the pipes at my house are frozen solid, nary a drip of water coming through. Looks like we are starting 2011 off with some COLD weather!)

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2011, 03:34:00 PM »
Cool Pics Rik...looks like a beautiful place . I use a side quiver now and again and the more I use it the more I like it .....
I like your new Years resolution, bet Nate does too !
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2015, 08:28:00 PM »
Thought I'd bring this thread back up for the Hill fans.  

I like using a bow quiver for hunting (Great Northern strap-ons).  They're handy and work well on my hybrids.  But not on my Hills.  They're noisy on the Hills.  

Not that I haven't tried troubleshooting.  I always make sure the rubber straps are snugged up tight, just above (riser side) the fadeouts.  My woodies are spined properly, fly well, aren't hitting the shelf and shoot equally well with or without the bowquiver on.  Fletching clearance is good...they don't touch each other and arrows/fletch aren't slapping the limb at release.  Take the quivers off the bows and they shoot scary quiet.  Put them back on and 'clack' at release...on every shot.  This happens regardless of which bowquiver I use (I have two) and with all three of my Hills.  Put the same quivers on my hybrids...no problems.

So there you have it, irrefutable scientific evidence that the spirit of Howard Hill hates bowquivers.  He probably hates spray paint, too.  Best not to risk it.      :archer:

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2015, 09:10:00 PM »
You're probably letting the bow turn in your hand at the shot.  Do need to grip the bow lightly to keep the quiver from sideways torquing the bow.

I don't know.  I don't think Howard would have minded bow quivers, except for the fact that he probably couldn't get enough arrows in them.  He liked a lot of arrows in his quiver when chasing small critters.     :dunno:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©