3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Second shot?  (Read 943 times)

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Second shot?
« on: December 22, 2010, 08:21:00 AM »
I've had a number of occasions when I've hit an animal and had it move a short distance or even stand still. I always try to get a second arrow in if possible. After all two wounds are better than one.

An observation I have made is that this is not the case with most bowhunters. They are influenced by the TV guys and one arrow kill mentality.

What is your experience with second shot opportunities and do you take them?

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Second shot?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 08:28:00 AM »
I've missed a couple deer with the first shot and had a second. I also spined a doe years ago (my 2nd trad deer in 1974) and followed with a lung shot.  I also shot a bear more than once in Ontario.  I can't recall a time when I've had the time to shoot any other deer a second time. Most have bolted immediately at the first shot, at least 10-15 yards and out-of-range for a second shot.

However, if I shot a deer and it stayed in bow  range I would put another arrow in it IF I could do so with alerting the deer to my presence.  I believe hit deer are motivated to run further from the spot they were shot if they know where the problem came from (where I am).

Personally, I'm not influenced in any positive ways by what I see on all but one of these outdoor TV shows.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 08:29:00 AM »
Mike.  there are several views that can be taken on this topic.  I see your point, and often agree, but to me it depends on where the first arrow hit.  If the deer is not too spooked... and I have had them kick, look around, and go back to feeding... then I won't move and chance spooking them into a run.  Let them drop right there.

If the first hit was bad, or not great, then yes, I would sure try for two, or three, or whatever it took.
ChuckC

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 08:30:00 AM »
One of my turkeys this fall got a second arrow. it took two arrows for an elk several years back. Other than those, I don't remember any big game that took a second shot, but I wouldn't hesitate to load up and fire again if the opportunity was there.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 08:37:00 AM »
Mike

Good post!

Early on I was taught that if he's still breathing and you get a chance you shoot him again.  An extra arrow is cheap insurance.

Of course with higher strung animals, like whitetails or elk, you don't often get a chance.  I've only shot a deer twice a couple of times - one on a spine hit and one on tracking a poorly hit deer and finishing him off.

Other less flighty animals have garnered a follow up shot or two when I was presented the chance.

Ryan

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 08:39:00 AM »
If it's within reasonable range and it's still on it's feet keep shooting
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 08:40:00 AM »
I always try to hit with the second shot.......cause I put the first one right over the back!!!!!!!! .....Even if I do get a good hit with the first shot I try to ease another arrow on the string just in case, but rarely get the second shot.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 08:52:00 AM »
I moved too quickly getting my second arrow this year on a buck. Wish I had a "do over" on that one and had moved slower. He definitely would have given me a second shot. Unfortunately he took off running as soon as I moved quickly to get the second arrow.

So.... yes I would/will always use a 2nd arrow if given the chance and it will help.

I had to shoot a Raccoon 3 times before he expired with broadheads! First arrow went through the lungs broadside and he stood there growling at me. The second arrow scewered from shoulder to tail and he started rolling around growling. The third arrow went to his head and he finally layed still. Never saw a tougher animal. Ever.   :dunno:

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 08:57:00 AM »
Gun or bow, I keep shooting until I have no more shots or the animal is down.  I have only had a couple times when a deer let me get a second arrow into it.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 08:57:00 AM »
In order to insure a recovery I would definately shoot again.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 08:58:00 AM »
I have used a second arrow in short order a couple of times. Once on an elk I hit a piece of brush causing my first arrow to hit a little to far back. Got the second one on the string and on the way as soon as he stopped.

If given the chance its often the best choice. There was one case where I turned down the second arrow though when I felt it was best to stay hidden.

So if the situation allows yes.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 09:04:00 AM »
Though I've seldom been afforded the opportunity, I'll always take a second shot if the deer is still within range and I can get it off without spooking it.

So many times, we don't hit the critter where we think we did on the first shot, and quite often, that first shot is not as good as we think it is.     :archer2:

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 09:04:00 AM »
If you ever get a chance to put a second arrow in an animal you had better do it!

I've done this several times and a couple of those instances......I was very glad I did.
One of those times was just another well placed shot, but it only costs the price of an arrow and a broadhead, so why wouldn't you?

It's not very often you get another chance to make sure the animal will bleed out.

I knocked an 8pt. completely down once with the first shot and to my amazement he stood back up!
When he got back up the second arrow was already on it's way and double lunged him. He ran head first into a brush pile dead on his feet a mere 30 yards away. It turned out that the first shot was high and clipped the spine. He may have died with the first shot, but then again he may not?
The second arrow through the lungs made sure that he didn't get away.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Mick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 09:07:00 AM »
The first buck I killed with a Trad bow got two arrows.  He was real close and quartering towards me - not the best angle.  First one was a kill shot, near shoulder to last opposite rib.  He took 10 steps toward me and stopped slightly quartering away when the second kill arrow got him through the good stuff again!
I will always try to keep shooting after a hit.
Like it was already said, cheap insurance.   :)

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2010, 09:19:00 AM »
I an the king of the second shot.Leatherneck says my deer look like pin cushions.They always just stand around and let me fill them up with arrows.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2010, 10:06:00 AM »
Only had a couple second shot chances, but that is why I practice regularly out to 50 yds. or so. Just for the record I would expect most of our T-Gers here to do exactly the opposite of those Jack-Wagons on TV.
Tom

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2010, 10:41:00 AM »
My worst ever hunting trip may have had a better outcome if I had taken a second shot.  I (stupid, rookie) took an almost straight-down shot from a treestend into a good-sized buck.  Hit the spine just to one side and behind the left shoulder.  He dropped like a rock.  As I lowered my bow he started kicking and before I could get myself down or the bow back up he regained his feet and bolted off.  

I spent the rest of that day and the next two of a canoe-in camping hunt looking for that deer through knee and waist deep balsam/hemlock swamp and woods . . . and never found him or any piece of my arrow.  

If I had put a second arrow in him as he lay motionless I'm sure the outcome would have improved.  As it was I gave up hunting from a treestand for a dozen years and switched broadheads.  It shook my confidence in me, my hunting technique, and likely was mostly penitence for being so stupid.

But.  If I feel the first arrow (or whatever) is in the right spot and the deer hasn't fled I have remained motionless in hopes of not spooking the deer into flight.  One advantage of a yellow or white fletch and crown.

With my flintlock it is an easy decision.    ;)
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2010, 11:07:00 AM »
Originally posted by Orion:
Though I've seldom been afforded the opportunity, I'll always take a second shot if the deer is still within range and I can get it off without spooking it.

So many times, we don't hit the critter where we think we did on the first shot, and quite often, that first shot is not as good as we think it is.      :archer2:  
This has been my experience.  BUT last year I had a chance at a second shot a didn't because I didn't want the deer spooking out of there.  It paid off this time.  However, Orion's second paragraph is full of wisdom too.

So I guess it - depends.  How's that for help?

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2010, 11:48:00 AM »
I had one deer in my compound days.
I shot it. Thought it was a great shot.
Deer fell and laid right there. Thought it was dead.
It was early morning so I let it lay in order to hunt the rest of the morn.
About 15mins later it got up and ran away.
I found it..barely..1/4 mile later.

Should've shot it twice just to be sure.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2010, 11:54:00 AM »
If I have the chance I will take a second shot.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©