3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Second shot?  (Read 942 times)

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Second shot?
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2010, 12:28:00 PM »
I share Chuck's opinion on this one. Of course spine shots should be followed up quickly. But when I double-lung a deer, only to have it trot a few yards and stop, I don't see any value in lengthening the recovery.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2010, 12:36:00 PM »
The only deer I have ever lost with trad equipment could have taken another arrow. My shot was high, and on further thought only got one lung. After the shot the big buck stood at 30 yards for about 30 seconds. I regret not sending another one through him because I found him 2 weeks later, a mile away. Now if they are gonna stand still for a second arrow, they are getting one.
Mike Davenport

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2010, 12:37:00 PM »
Made a good shot on a buck and didn't follow up with a second shot. Ended up the first shot was too far back and didn't find the buck till the next day and the meat was bad. Should of taken the second shot even though he was 35 yards out, nothing to lose if you miss.

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2010, 02:14:00 PM »
when in doubt quiver out!

I ALWAYS put another shot into an animal if given the chance and I keep shooting until it is actually dead. Around here with such small properties and so many coyotes a bad hit can turn into a nightmare quick. I can't leave a wounded deer overnight or for any length of time or the dogs will get to it. If I push a deer it can cross many property lines. This year I shot a doe 5 times through the lungs. may sound like overkill but I wasn't taking any chances. she was still on her feet so I kept shooting. Two of the does I shot this year had no idea i passed an arrow through them so I often shoot more than once.

I have seen too many "great shots" leave a very long blood trail or lead to a lost animal.

As for second shots after a miss... I have had that happen on a few occasions. Last week I missed a doe with my first shot and she had no clue, I smoked her on my second shot.

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2010, 02:17:00 PM »
After the first arrow is in the animal there is no such thing as an unethical shot or shot angle.   Follow up until the deer is dead.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2010, 02:19:00 PM »
Why do some of you feel a second shot will lead to a longer recovery??

chris <><

Offline chanumpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2010, 02:24:00 PM »
A second shot is a must if the oportunity is there.It is our responsibility as hunters to take the animal down as quickly as possible,I believe.

Offline PASQUINELL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2010, 02:35:00 PM »
I am sooo glad to see this post and must share A hunt like no other I have ever had. The area I hunt was put in a buck only status by the Wisconsin DNR and the last couple of years have been a bit tough in the area I hunt seeing deer.
I gave my season a ten day limit with cutting conifers for the Christmas holiday mixed in with the hunts.
First day I sat, I had a little six come in with a doe and ended up seeing how far I could bury my Woodsman in a sapling. No big deal, that wasnt the first time I did that!
I sat again in another area and had a fork horn walk 15 yards from me and stand broadside. I drew back, let er fly and went about a foot over his back. He jumped and walked about ten feet and stopped again. I was able to get an arrow reknocked and let it go... again over its back!
I couldnt believe it. I sat there and the little buck twitched his tail and started walking closer to me! I knocked again and shot under him. Three misses on one deer?? I got out of the tree in disgust, went back to camp and climbed a tree stand we practice from and buried four arrows where they should have gone. I never did go back out because of fear in wounding one. The guys at camp were laughing at the story but I never had three chances before.
"I can skin a GRIZZ as fast as you can catch um"...HA! stay right there pilgrim I'll be back!
JOHN 3:16

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2010, 02:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by Onions:

chris <><
Perfect example:

Earlier this season I shot a buck through both lungs at 11 yards. He trotted 25 yards and stopped slightly quartering away. Decision time: sit tight and watch him drop right there in a few seconds, or shoot him again and run him off. It wasn't the first time that scenario has played out for me, and every time I've just waited a few seconds and watched the deer tip over on the spot.

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2010, 03:10:00 PM »
If I am 100% it is a double lung shot then no. Now I have to be 100% sure if not and theres a window for a second or third arrow I put it to them.

I also hunt some small properties where I want to make sure there down and out before crossing a property line.

I put two arrows in a doe early this year from the ground. The first I thought was low. She ran about 10 yards and stopped quartering away. The second arrow was perfect and she only took two more steps before going down. After walking up to her the first shot was aslo a perfect double lung maybe an inch below center of the lungs. Even shooting her twice she ran less than 15 yards total from where she was on the first shot.
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2010, 03:15:00 PM »
particularly with these quiet  trad gear deer may not run so if they give me the chance  I'm shooting again....
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Chesapeake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2010, 03:21:00 PM »
If thier alive, I'm shooting, no matter the weapon.
I've lost animals I've only shot once, but never lost one I shot more than once. (never lost a bow kill)

Once I have wounded an animal each and every shot oportunity is taken advantage of.

I've never regretted taking a follow up shot, but I've sure regretted not taking ones that were offered and I let slip away.

If he's hit good and dead on his feet a second arrow isnt going to change that. If he's hit poorly and just getting the adrenaline flowing a second arrow could be all the difference between recovery and loss.
Rick

Offline swamper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2010, 03:27:00 PM »
always try for another shot if it's in range

Offline greyghost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2010, 03:30:00 PM »
If needed and given a chance, yes. Any time I am set up I have a 2nd arrow that I can get rather quickly and quitely with as little movement as possible.

Earl

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2010, 03:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by Onions:

chris <><
If a deer is calm after being shot it might die right there. I watched that happen on video the other day. A doe was shot and didn't know it. She started feeding again then fell over dead.

However, if that same deer sees you drawing a second time it could run a good ways. I think this is what they mean by it leaving a longer blood trail.

That being said, if I can get away with a second shot I am taking it!

Offline Mike Manassa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2010, 03:39:00 PM »
I shot a doe several years ago that I hit in the liver..She ran towards my tree and stopped.The second arrow did the trick and she died about 20 yards behind my treestand...Mike

Offline shortstroke 91

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2010, 03:44:00 PM »
I shoot until it's not standing or I can't get an arrow in there.

My brother in law sent 6 arrows at a Kansas doe this fall from 10 yards in about 4 minutes, never drew blood though.
shortstroke 91
TBOT Life Member

"BLOOD MAKES THE GRASS GROW"

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2010, 03:46:00 PM »
If it is not down and I can put another one in it, I will. I owe it a quick death.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2010, 04:04:00 PM »
I had a hunting partner a few years back that I watched stalk a doe from accross the canyon.  He got right on top of her and at the shot, she hunched up.  I knew it was a gut hit from the reaction but he thought he had a double lung and even though the deer hadn't moved didn't put a second arrow in.  She moved off leaving no trail and we never found her after looking for two days.

A second shot anywhere would have brought her down faster.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2010, 04:34:00 PM »
Wow, sometimes the timing of a thread is seems perfect to what's on my mind.  I'm a newbie to bowhunting this year (don't judge me too harshly), and last weekend keeps running through my mind.

I took a shot at a fox last weekend.  I thought I had made a good hit.  He stood jumped and then stood still for several seconds, then went about 10 yards and fell down behind a tree.  I could see his tail for a little bit.  But then he got up and walked slowly over back into range.  Well, maybe a bit beyond range.  I took another shot due to sentiments expressed by others already.  But at close to 40 yards I just wasn't good enough with the adrenaline flowing and the arrow went high.  At that point it saw me and stepped back a few more yards staring at me.  Feeling bad about a wounded animal, I took my third and last shot.  But now that he knew where I was, he dodged the arrow easily.  He was still moving slow, so I stayed put for awhile.  When I went to track him later, I found an amazing blood trail out of the little guy.  I had trouble believing that he could keep going as far as he did given what I was finding where he had stopped occasionally.  I tracked him for 1/2 mile over the course of 4 hours in the dark, wishing the whole time that I had managed to get a second arrow into him.  And no, I never did recover him.

I think I'm sold on the idea of a second or third arrow if possible.  Yeah, I guess I might risk spooking them into a longer recovery, but there's the risk not having quite the shot you thought you made and no recovery.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©