3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: NC hog hunting  (Read 254 times)

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
NC hog hunting
« on: December 22, 2010, 03:13:00 PM »
Just read an article and it is telling of wild hogs in the neuse river basin. Escapees from some of the hurricanes but some say they have been there longer. They show an area south of Smithfield and 70 all the way back to Goldsboro. Does not tell of any Game lands in there though a community college that runs some hunts.

I checked out the Community college and they say BOWS need be left at home they are only a secondary weapon. Really states to "forget what you see on TV and leave the bows and pistols at home". Well I am not reciting what I seen on TV just what I have done personally, and I do not care to pick up a rifle for pigs?? Only killed 5 with a bow but that is enough to know what a bow can do to em.

Anyone from TG hunting these hogs??

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: NC hog hunting
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 03:21:00 PM »
Those hogs or just hogs in general. Ive been sticking hogs with arrows for 30 years and have never had a problem, ive only failed to recover 3 in that time. You would think that being close to a collage they would prefer bows.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 03:49:00 PM »
a lot of things can be fixed but, stupid aint one.
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline nc recurveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 03:58:00 PM »
people get weird ideas, there are some tv educated bear hunters around here that will positively swear you cant kill a bear with a bow or a shotgun for that matter. Anything less then close tac. air would be dangerous lol
"You can't make chicken salad outta chicken sh.........Poo"

Offline the longbowkid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 05:13:00 PM »
there are hogs in the neuse river basin. but also in pockets all over Nc, for instance there is a small population i am planning to scout located in outer greenville.
Anneewakee Addiction longbow 56" 50@28

"too many people live under the misguided impression that death is the worst possible of natural events"
  -John G. Mitchell, "The Hunt"

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 05:45:00 PM »
SUpposed to be some near here, I have spent many hours trompin that are and seen no sign. Just went and looked for GL near Smithfield and there is none. So these will have to spread a bit more.

These are good lookin feral pigs - I thought the same and is why I never messed with em. Friends from Johnston county been tellin me about these things and I figured they were the pink variety!! LOL just outta a farmers pen.

J
Always be stubborn.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 05:46:00 PM »
Yeah not sure why a huntign place would doubt a bow?? blows my mind.

J
Always be stubborn.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 10:20:00 AM »
OK latest research -

Brunswick, and Pender county seem to have a hog problem. Did google searches and found many articles. I have put in a call to the NCWRC to try and get some points (Holly Shelter Depot, Pender county) to see if they might have some better up to date info.

Brunswick seems to be worst hit county so I know they are in the Green Swamp GLs, I am hoping to find them closer which would be the Holly Shelter area. My Fire Chief who lives in Hubert NC on 15 acres said he saw a small black pig crossing the road near his house last yr but has not seen one since. He was a hunter in his youth but has not hunted in yrs. He keeps animals and I trust his word. BUT he has not seen anything as of late.

More word I get, and research I do, I will keep posting - maybe we can get some close to home hog hunts for the eastern NC crew??

J

P.S.

I was n Brunswick county for a yr but never spent much time in the green swamp except to assist a body recovery?? Anyone more familiar with it?
Always be stubborn.

Offline Longbowwally

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 02:39:00 PM »
I killed a 175 lb'er with my recurve on one of the community college hunts you are talking about a few years ago. The gun toting guys who helped me get it out of the woods seemed a little shocked the boar only ran about 25 yards and was down....

I've been on two or three more of those community college hunts since and don't think the hunts are as good as they once were...
LONG LIVE THE LONGBOW!

Wally Holmes

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©