3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Silvertips and Tall Tines  (Read 797 times)

Offline ASD

• Trad Bowhunter
Silvertips and Tall Tines
« on: December 22, 2010, 04:15:00 PM »
Hey folks, not looking for a debate about these bows but rather intial comparisons from folks who have or do shoot both.  I currently shoot a 62inch 54 lb takedown FF recurve.  I have shot this bow exclusively for 5 years and I have never really contemplated getting another bow.  I went through many before I shot my first tip, sold all of the others, and called Windauer to place the order.  Recently my uncle was hunting in Iowa takin down a hang on, dropped it and it fell and busted the tip off oh his Norm Johnson recurve.  14 hours from TN with a busted bow.  Luckily he had taken a longbow with him that he could use the rest of the trip.  This got me to thinking.  I do not have a back up bow that I would like for using to hunt big game.  Got a pile of "fishing" bows but not another custom curve that I like.  I am either considering ordering another set of limbs for my Shafer bow, another complete shafer recurve, or possibly one of these Tall Tines recurves that are seeming to gain some popularity.  My first visual impression of the TT curves was that I liked the mass in the risers, looked like they would be a very stable bow, and folks seem to like them.  I know exactly what I would be getting with another shafer bow, but I guess the wants are getting to me a little.  I spoke with Brain a little about his bows and from first impression customer service seemed like I would be be dealing with a person similar to a Windauer, which a man couldn't ask for nothing better than that.  I know both are good bows, but from you all who think Dave's recurves fit you just right and have shot one of Brian's recurves, should I set up a test drive or stick with another silvertip.  Which ever route I go I will go with a dymondwood riser, bamboo core limbs, 62 inch in the 52-56 pound range.  Plain jane woods with heavy mass for a solid dead in the hand stable feeling bow.

Thanks, Adam

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Silvertips and Tall Tines
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 04:25:00 PM »
I love the Silvertips even though mine doesn't come in until April. I'm using a loaner from a generous Trad Ganger right now. I have never even held a TT but I'm working on a trade at this very moment. I too am curious about TT but it will take a LOT to dislodge Silvertip from the top of the heap for me.

Sorry I can't answer your comparison question but I know some folks on this site can sure do it!  One in particular from Texas comes to mind!

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 04:48:00 PM »
Adam....If you do a search you'll see comparisons between the two in previous threads. That said, I have shot both bows and am very impressed with both. I own a TT and can say that's it's the smoothest and quietest bow I've owned....and very quick for it's weight. If you like a very solid riser you'll love the TT. My entire riser is phenolic making it not only solid but near indestructable....I'm doing my best to see if that's true!....Ryan

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 04:56:00 PM »
Solid phenolic riser? I would like to see a pic. of that bow!

chris <><

Online jrstegner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 06:23:00 PM »
If you like a lot of mass in the riser the TT with dymanwood is the bow. It is much beefier than my tip's riser. The phenolic is probably even heavier. I believe you will like the grip on the TT better. The grip forces consistancy.  As far as performance goes there isn't a dimes worth of of difference between the two. I get 188 fps out of my 63# 'tip and 187 out of my 61# TT. I haven't shot my Silvertip since I got my TT, other than to shoot a few through the chrony. I am not saying one is better than the other, but I think the TT promotes better shooting due to grip and the mass weight in the riser.

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 06:43:00 PM »
Here's the TT phenolic!

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 07:01:00 PM »
Looks like a hunt'n machine!

Offline billy shipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 07:30:00 PM »
Adam,

I own 2 Schafers and 2 TallTines. I got the 1st TallTines around 18 months ago, and the Schafers have hung on the rack ever since.

It all boils down to personal preference. Both are excellent bows built by very good bowyers.

The TT grip and extra mass weight in the risers suits me just a bit better than a Tip.

Don't take anyones word on a bow recommendation. Try it for yourself, then decide.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 08:59:00 PM »

www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 09:05:00 PM »
Wow! Tough choice but I agree with Billy that it's totally up to you and your own personal preference.  With that said, I love my TT and have two more coming.   :bigsmyl:   I've shot both just like the TT better.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 09:08:00 PM »
Yikes, that is a very enlightening picture TJ!  

I didn't realize there was such a striking difference in these risers.

Offline BlackDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 10:55:00 PM »
TJ, what length risers are those?? Nice bows!

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2010, 06:44:00 AM »
TJ's riser is a first generation TallTines with a 15" riser.  Brian does not make them anymore.  The TT's now have either a 16" or 18" riser.  Thses pics show 16" Phenolic and 18" Bocote.

The bottom photo shows off the grip and the limb design, both of which make the TT very unique.

Both Dave and Brian are good as gold as people and it shows thru to their bows.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2010, 07:11:00 AM »
If the side plates between the two generations is the same width, it appears the newer generation riser is a bit narrower (from face to back) than the originals?

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2010, 08:28:00 AM »
That is correct.  I would say they are much more "svelte" than the originals.

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2010, 08:40:00 AM »
Stevo,
       I see that Brian doesn't make the 15" riser any more. He now offers the 16 and 19. I am assuming the bows in the picture are yours? What is your reasoning behind choosing the different length risers? Consequently did you choose shorter limbs with the longer riser and vise versa? Have you found certain combinations to shoot better for you?
     I have a few months before mine comes up on his list and want to make some informed choices. Brian and I have talked, but I am really liking these discussions too. Lin
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2010, 08:40:00 AM »
"Svelte" is a good description of the new over the old riser.

Lin, my bow was the first 58" bow Brian made I believe and the riser is a shorter 15".
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2010, 08:45:00 AM »
Manatoba Stickflinger, I still say yours is the most beautiful recurve I have ever seen. I'd like to hear your opinion on my questions too.

Dont mean to highjack. I figured it goes along with the thread. Lin
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2010, 08:52:00 AM »
Lin,

16 and 18".  I know a lot of R&D went into it, but you better get with Brian on the particulars.

Those pics are ones Brian sent me when I was ordering my latest as all mine so far are generation 1 TTs to show the difference in the new risers.

I like the 60" bow and I am told when I get my new long riser/short limb 60" combo I am in for a treat.

And, I shot Ryan's phenolic when I was at the TT shop, it indeed is VERY sweet.  That Phenolic has great mass and just soaks up the shot.

TJ, I fixed my spelling error, thanks.

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2010, 09:29:00 AM »
Thanks,
         I will go with a 62 inch bow. Probably. I am under the impression that the longer bows are more forgiving, which I need. The question for me is whether to go with the short riser and long limbs or the long riser and medium limbs (I think) to get the 62 inches. I appreciate any input you may have on this matter.

Is the phenolic a composite ground to shape or is it injection molded? What is it's nature, if that is a good word? Lin
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©