3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: adding a stove heater to a tent  (Read 353 times)

Offline Sticks2117

• Trad Bowhunter
adding a stove heater to a tent
« on: December 23, 2010, 05:40:00 AM »
I have a canvas tent that I would to add a stove to. I'm wondering if its possible to do it safely. I realize its not a archery question but it is my hunting tent.
Big Jims Thunderchild 53# @ 26"
Zbow Z58 TD hunter 55# @ 27" (RIP)
Ferguson Patriot by Bear 55#@28
Ferguson Redhawk 66" 60# @ 28
GN Critter Gitter 60#@28
LM North American Hunting Club
Wisconsin Bowhunters Member
NRA Member

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: adding a stove heater to a tent
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 05:56:00 AM »
Many canvas wall tents have stove jacks installed, so I would have to say yes, you could add one to yours.  I'd find a wall tent manufacturer and see if they would retro-fit yours.  One issue is that your tent may not be treated for fire resistance.

Offline Firstarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 06:01:00 AM »
Yeah. You can get the insert from Montana Canvas and have an apolstery(sp) shop cut the hole and install it for you. Heck Montana Canvas may even do it for you they sell stoves also.

Best of luck!
there are a ton of options out there.
Being first, making a mark and being part of
something great!
Rich

May you keep the wind to your nose, have the patience of Job, and have your Firstarrow fly true.

Offline Buffalo Two Fletch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 07:15:00 AM »
You can install one on your own. It is not hard to do. Stove Jacks can be found at Panther Primitives for around 40 bucks

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 07:23:00 AM »
As said, it can be easily done.  The stove jacks are available, and if you don't want to tackle installing it yourself look for a place near you that does custom canvas work.  They do things like boat covers, awnings, etc.  They should be able to easily install a stove jack and you won't have to ship your whole tent off through the mail.

Adding a stove to a canvas tent really adds to its function.  Nothing like sitting around inside in your shirt sleeves when its nasty outside.  :thumbsup:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline chanumpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 11:51:00 AM »
I have a smallConfederat A frame canvas tent thats only 10x10.I was given a cylinder stove,so I got a stove jack,cut a square out ,sewed the deal in and set it up.Sure is nice to have wood heat in there and cook on it etc.A fellow tradganger recently posted a really cool thread on a stove that he made that was really cool.It was way lighter and he showed how he put it together in pictures.I thought my set up would be kind of dangerous at first,but it really has passed the test with no problems yet other than cooking yourself right out.Good luck.

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 12:49:00 PM »
whats that ol saying, "once you've had a woodstove in your tent you"ll never go back" or something like that. Easy to add like all the above have said. Heck I have installed one in a homemade tarp tent!
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline chanumpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 12:52:00 PM »
Checkout page three of the powow her at the thread thatwv tradbow did.Pretty cool,or warm I should say.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 01:56:00 PM »
LC why dont ya do a Build along that would be cool show us how its done. and what material ya used.  :thumbsup:    :campfire:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Bryan Bondurant

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 12:19:00 AM »
This is an old thread but the answer one can add a stove to a canvas tent is correct. The bigger and more important question is what kind of canvas tent is it? If its a wall tent with no floor and it happened to be the odd tent that did not come with a stove jack its a no brainer to have one added. However if its a old 8x10 Coleman or similar with a floor that seals up pretty tight, adding a stove inside may be a good way to die in your sleep. Unfortunately two guys did this out by my old place in Alaska, the strange thing is the dog knew to get low and breath so it lived, the two guys woke up dead.

Offline gobblegrunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 05:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bryan Bondurant:
 the two guys woke up dead.
From fire/smoke inhalation or carbon monoxide poisoning? (I'm assuming it was due to carbon monoxide)

I don't know anything about heating a tent, but my first, and biggest fear would be the CO2 poisoning!
"It's not about inches or antlers..."     ~Bill Langer

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©