3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting with a back quiver  (Read 737 times)

Offline Ari

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting with a back quiver
« on: December 23, 2010, 06:27:00 AM »
It seems like a lot of people leave the back quiver at home when they head for a hunt, why? And if you do use one what are your pros and cons of it?

thanks,
Ari

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting with a back quiver
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 07:03:00 AM »
Ari, i often use a back quiver when hunting and it had not impeded me in taking deer, goats, many pigs, foxes and rabbits . Its a great way to carry arrows but can take some getting use to.

I also use side stalker quivers and of late an Arrowmaster by Rod Jenkins which may be the handiest, quietest and quickest arrow loading quiver I have come across.
But don't discount the good ol' back quiver . Give it a bit of practice and you'll find its like a great way to tote arrows afield.
They have some drawbacks in that wearing a backpack is difficult and they suit wooden arrows the best as they are much quieter with woodies than alloys or carbons in my experience.....
I do most of hunting with one.
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 07:41:00 AM »
I've always used a backquiver.  Pretty much what Ben says above.
Getting my leather business going again soon, this electrical work sucks. No time to hunt!
 I have a new design on my workbench as we speak. Lot of drawings and work to get it together but the simplest thing when done.Very different. The first ptototype is almost done, but constant changes, nips and tucks as you build that first one. You guys will be the first to see it. If I can get a couple of prototypes done maybe I'll send a couple out for field trial to the hardcore backquiver hunters. I'll post lots of pics and ask opinions.
Got a broken hand so progress is not fantastic on it.
David M. Conroy

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 08:06:00 AM »
For some reason I trust it will be perfect David! Get that hand healed up and lets see some pics.

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 08:18:00 AM »
For many years I toggled between a back quiver and bow quiver.  They both have their advantages for sure.  I could never get used to the bow quiver - it always seemed to be problematic...noisy, in the way for tough shots from trees, etc.

I finally found what I consider to be the handiest if you are only going to carry arrows.  It was originally designed by OL Adcock and is a side quiver that can be easily maneuvered around stuff when you are walking/stalking.  Hangs in a tree quite easily and out of the way...quiet too.

Art Vincent made it for me about six years ago, if I remember correctly.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 08:57:00 AM »
If Art made it, it must be pretty "ugly" huh? That guy is one talented dude.
David M. Conroy

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 09:09:00 AM »
I use a back quiver and at times they can be awkward and noisy if you hit a branch. But then again you can build a low draw style that seals the arrows in and they dont bang around.I would never put a quiver on a bow I just can't shoot with it on the bow.And a hip quiver makes my thighs look big    :laughing:   JMHO
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Ari

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 09:12:00 AM »
I've been thinking about side quivers as well, but would like to use the same quiver all the time(stumping and hunting) and didn't think it would be as fast to draw arrows as my back quiver, what do you think?

Offline Horner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 09:13:00 AM »
Originally posted by Ari:
It seems like a lot of people leave the back quiver at home when they head for a hunt, why? And if you do use one what are your pros and cons of it?

thanks,
Ari
I always take mine to the woods with me.......The only draw back for me is, it is kind of hard to carry when you are taking in a climbing tree stand and a backpack.
I just loop it over one shoulder when I carry a bunch of stuff in with me.  It is worth it to me not to have the extra bulk on my bow when I am in my spot.  I just use a tree stand step to hang it off of when I am in my tree.
What would you attempt to do, if you knew you could not fail?

Never leave the one you love, for the one you like.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 09:17:00 AM »
To Me a back quiver is the only kind of quiver. I have a basket quiver that can be worn as a side quiver, But I only use it like that for 3-D.

My leather back quiver only has one CON: Arrows fall out when bending over if I don't slide it to a side. Other then that.. Back Quivers to Me are more of a Traditional feel to Trad Archery.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 09:22:00 AM »
don't like dealing with broadheads in a back quiver.  have used a bottom foam block and leather bonnets, just not for me.  prefer either a side sling quiver (safari tuff duiker, or my new jack bowers) or an efa bow quiver.  the side sling and bow quivers use foam blocks to protect the heads and keep 'em quiet, extraction is easier than with a back quiver, too.  it's good to have choices.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2010, 09:24:00 AM »
I watch the guys with back quivers at 3-D shoots and they look like contortionists drawing arrows and using both hands, one to bump up the quiver and one to fish for the correct arrow simultaneously craning their necks to find that one arrow they were looking for.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Ari

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2010, 09:27:00 AM »
I can't use a bow quiver, just feels weird. I'm kinda on the fence between a side and back quivers.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2010, 09:56:00 AM »
BQ's must be broke in & very pliable to conform to your back. If so, they'll hold arrows perfect w/o noise. Takes awhile to get used to the BQ also. Once there, you'll stay. Stiffer newer BQ's can be a PITA.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2010, 10:17:00 AM »
I use to use a back quiver until i went on a caribou hunt. That back quiver wasa pain in the butt going through brush and trying to secure to a day pack. Once i got home i put a bow quiver on my bow and haven't regretted it once.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2010, 02:56:00 PM »
 I watch the guys with back quivers at 3-D shoots and they look like contortionists drawing arrows and using both hands, one to bump up the quiver and one to fish for the correct arrow simultaneously craning their necks to find that one arrow they were looking for.  
Ummm...i can get an arrow on a string pretty quickly from my back quiver with a minimum of movement . Just because some guys can't do it well shouldn't infer that some of us don't do it well.....   :bigsmyl:
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline greyghost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2010, 03:48:00 PM »
I have used one since age 8, so never really an issue.

HH style quiver.

Pro: Easy for me to draw an arrow from the quiver by the nock and place it on my string with out taking my focus off the target and maintain one smooth steady motion.

Pro: If it is properly broke in and forms to your back it holds the arrows in place and quite, even bending over to pick up an arrow the others will not come out.

Pro: Can be adjusted from your back to under your arm if navagating through thick brush, like a lot of othere style's.

Pro: Carry a variety of arrows at once. Broadheads, blunts, judo's, name it. Use a piece of leather lace to divide if needed.

Con: for most maintaining broadhead integrity in the quiver is a problem for most. What I do and works for me is ATTACH a foam block in the bottom for my broadheads, usally 3 or 4.

Con: It takes practice (for me) to maintain my ability's of using it, just like anything else.

There are other little things like other style quivers. I got a Jack Bowers stalker that I like but need practice with drawing an arrow out of it quietly.

Again practice with anything will improve ones abilitys.

Earl

Offline Cecil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2010, 03:50:00 PM »
Getting one that fits right makes alot of differents in what you will think of it. when you bend over it should tighten up in the middle and hold your arrows.

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2010, 03:52:00 PM »
Always liked the back quiver. Wore out a Hill quiver several years ago and got one made of soft elk hide with a coyote fur around the collar. Used it for about 8 years until my granddaughter decided that she like it while shooting her new Hill youth longbow.
I just got a new soft leather back quiver from Craig at Howard Hill. Didn't use it too much during the last few weeks of the season, because I was using a bow quiver. But I now use it each time I go out to shoot. Feeling very comfortable with it now. Summer time and when the temps get into the 98 to 105 range, they can get a little warm, but that's a small price to pay to live in Texas......   :bigsmyl:
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2010, 04:14:00 PM »
I bought one of Mikes Archery Leather medium Hunter quivers and I'm finding that I like it real well. The leather is already starting to form to my back as it is not really stiff. I am leaning toward using nothing but a back quiver for the entire next year. Might also buy one of the 22" softer Howard Hill quivers to use.
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©