3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting with a back quiver  (Read 738 times)

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting with a back quiver
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2010, 04:49:00 PM »
Main reason I gravitate more toward a side quiver (I use the old Screaming Eagle velcro model modified into a side quiver at my waist--like a GFA--love its versatility) than a traditional back quiver is that I like to carry cameras and other items with me and therefore usually have a day pack on as well.

During parts of the season, I'll utilize a Cat-Quiver which really gives me a little of both worlds plus fletching protection if wet.  

But when I really want to feel as traditional as possible, I grab the old leather back quiver and stuff cameras, knives, and everything else I "need" into pockets.      :rolleyes:    I usually do this when my luck's been poor and I need some extra mojo.      ;)
"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2010, 05:15:00 PM »
I usually do this when my luck's been poor and I need some extra mojo  
Giddyup ! Ive been there mate !
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline bad arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2010, 08:49:00 PM »
I've got a side quiver and it is a pain walking in the woods with. No matter if I angle it forward or backwards the arrows always catch on something and I'm constantly reinserting them. While I'm not sure that I'd like taking a shot with it on my bow, it seems like a Bow Quiver makes sense, at least getting through the woods and briars. I always have to take my side quiver off anyway after I get set up so maybe the bow quiver is what I need....Phil

Offline bad arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2010, 09:58:00 PM »
Sorry. I know your question was about back quivers and I've never used one. But I would kinda think they'd be more apt to have limbs and such catch on the arrows like my side quiver as some have stated. For target shooting and open ground I would think it would be fine but personally I'm saving my money for a bow quiver....Phil

Offline ti-guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2010, 10:07:00 PM »
Better try to figure out.No quiver's 100% perfect,back quiver have a traditional look and tha's fun and easy to use.
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward.So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.

Offline GREASEMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2010, 10:13:00 PM »
I lOVE THE BACK QUIVER for it's traditional feel and function,but, i'm going to try a quiver attached to the side of a possibles pouch this year for hunting.

Offline greg fields

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2010, 10:14:00 PM »
I only use a back quiver while shooting out in the yard at targets.  I could not imagine trying to carry a back quiver through the woods, with laurel, blowdowns, etc.  with a treestand and all the rest of your gear on your back.

Offline greg fields

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2010, 10:15:00 PM »
I only use a back quiver while shooting out in the yard at targets.  I could not imagine trying to carry a back quiver through the woods, with laurel, blowdowns, etc.  with a tree stand and all the rest of your gear on your back.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2010, 08:57:00 AM »
I have been trying both but the back quiver feels the best, I love how light the bow feels while hunting and I shoot about the same either way.

I miss my Sitka pack though and plan on making a new quiver as soon as I can get to the leather shop. I want to add some pockets, a file holder and maybe a sheath for one of my knifes.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2010, 10:32:00 AM »
That is a great picture Tracy.
David M. Conroy

Offline DEATHMASTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2010, 12:22:00 PM »
Tracy, did you know you had a animal sit on your head for the picture?

Great photo there buddy.

Tim

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2010, 01:31:00 PM »
From the Prairies of Wyoming, Canada and here in the Northeast...

"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2010, 03:08:00 PM »
Great photos gentleman! I was hoping to see some pics of the back quiver in use. That Howard Hill 22" soft quiver is looking more and more tempting.   :thumbsup:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2010, 03:46:00 PM »
Thanks David!

Tim,  :biglaugh:  I was glad that dead critter was sitting on my head, It was 10 deg. out there and the wind was howling!!  :D  I was stalking my way into a blind I had set up and took a few quick picks.

This is a great thread and I have really been looking at the back quiver picks also trying to figure out which to build this spring.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2010, 04:02:00 PM »
Here's my M.A.L. quiver that I'll be using until further notice. It really fits me pretty good.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2010, 04:11:00 PM »
I also have this real nice one that I got about 5yrs ago. Don't remember who I got it from but, it is nice and soft and works well in warmer weather. I don't use it during the winter as it is to nice to get ruined by the Oregon rain.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2010, 04:13:00 PM »
I know I can draw an arrow and have it nocked faster with my back quiver than a side quiver.And you can get a cross strap to make it fit like a glove on your back.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2010, 04:28:00 PM »
I like a side quiver (the GFA) for every day hunting. BUT, I prefer a back quiver for rabbit hunting.

My dislikes of the back quiver re that they ar loud and don't protect the broadhead edge well.

My likes are that you can really get an arrow on the string quickly.

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2010, 04:55:00 PM »
for me,,, they are noisy with anything but wood arrows and dangerous if you fall forward you'll have a head full off broadheads.

I also found here in new england where the weather changes so much your either bundled up or not and for some reason I don'yt want to keep adjusting the back quiver.  

hunting for me is a cat quiver,side quiver or lokota, removable bow quiver.
"Us vs Them"

Offline Ari

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2010, 04:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by Roger Norris 2:
I like a side quiver (the GFA) for every day hunting. BUT, I prefer a back quiver for rabbit hunting.

My dislikes of the back quiver re that they ar loud and don't protect the broadhead edge well.

My likes are that you can really get an arrow on the string quickly.
I've been thinking about making little leather pouches for my broadheads it would be a pretty good way to protect them from banging around in my back quiver and pretty easy to make as well.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©