3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Google Earth Scouting  (Read 744 times)

Offline jfelkins

• Trad Bowhunter
Google Earth Scouting
« on: December 23, 2010, 08:06:00 PM »
I know we all use tradition archery equipment to hunt but does anyone use Google Earth to scout? Would you like to? I'm semi computer savvy and will be using Google earth to scout a new area and would love to start a discussion regarding this area. I will post a link to the area shortly.
Chekmate TD Hunter II

Love many, trust few, row your own canoe!

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Google Earth Scouting
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 08:09:00 PM »
John,

YES!  Bring it on!  I am not good with it, but I like to look.

Offline T Sunstone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 08:14:00 PM »
Love it, use it all the time.

Offline Sticks2117

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 08:17:00 PM »
Awesome tool!!!!
Big Jims Thunderchild 53# @ 26"
Zbow Z58 TD hunter 55# @ 27" (RIP)
Ferguson Patriot by Bear 55#@28
Ferguson Redhawk 66" 60# @ 28
GN Critter Gitter 60#@28
LM North American Hunting Club
Wisconsin Bowhunters Member
NRA Member

Offline Follower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 08:18:00 PM »
I use it quite a bit - primarly before ever putting foot on the ground.  I spot potential funnels and travel cooridors and then check them out on foot.
"If any of you wants to be my follower, you must put aside your selfish ambition, shoulder your cross, and follow me...."  Jesus  (Mathew 16:24)

Offline Bobhat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 08:18:00 PM »
Been using it for some time.  Nice to look at both familiar and unfamiliar grounds.  You can never have too much information.
Toelke Whip
Assenheimer Hunter Deluxe
"We don't stop playing because we are old.  We are old because we stop playing."  Ben Franklin

Offline Bobhat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 08:19:00 PM »
One thing I've found helpful is seeing adjacent properties and what is there without having to trespass.  ;-)
Toelke Whip
"We don't stop playing because we are old.  We are old because we stop playing."  Ben Franklin

Offline Ray_G

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 08:21:00 PM »
I use it to initially check on the lay of the land and roads.  We have a lot of Federally managed lands and this gives a guy a good overview before boots on the ground.

I have installed BLM overlays that can be turned on or off in Google Earth to see where the public land is.  These Layer files are free for downloading from BLM and they have detailed instructions for installing them.  Maybe other agencies have them.
Sunset Hill 64" 54# @ 26"  "Destiny"

B.H.A.

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 08:25:00 PM »
Yes use to try and figure out funnels etc... but a better mapping service is Bing maps and their "bird eye" feature check it out i thing you will agree.
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline macksdad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 08:59:00 PM »
I never used it until my wife got a smart phone ,  and I use it all the time it is awesome. Especially like it when i am talkin to others who hunt the same areas as i do. Just pull up google earth and you can pinpoint  the area you are talking about, I'm not much for technolgy but google earth is probably the next best thing to my Cell phone.
Hoyt Buffalo   #45@28,#50@28, #55 @28, #60@28
Hill Country Wildcat 52#@28
Hill Country Wildcat Static #57@31
Rick Welch Accuracy Factory

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 09:02:00 PM »
I use google earth every time I'm going somewhere new, which is just about every weekend.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline jfelkins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2010, 09:11:00 PM »
Ok, great. I'm not the only one. I'll post what I've done so far for those that might want to try it for the first time. Then we can get into how to find the deer hotspots which is what I need help with.

The first thing I did was go to:    Google Earth Download Page   and down load the latest version of Google Earth. It works for both Mac and PC. It wouldn't be a waste of time to watch some tutorials but I know reading directions isn't fun for all of us...

Next I went to my state Dept of Fish and Game (TWRA here in TN) and found a link for a file that contained the maps for all of the WMA's (Wildlife Management Areas) in electronic (GIS) format. What you need to find is a file/link that has .kml (or kmz.) as the extension. Here is it for TN:    TN WMA Maps Overlay   When you click on the link it will download and you'll have the option to open it directly in Google Earth. That's the way I do it.

The Next thing I want to know is who else (besides the state) owns nearby property. I know this WMA is on Maury County so I do a Google search for Maury County tax Maps....Well look what we got here:    Maury County Assessors Office  Down on the left is a link to Maury County Maps. Click on that and your looking at a map of who owns what.

Sidebar: There's way to much info on the internet but my theory is if someone really wants to kill me they aren't going to do it via Google.  

Now I'm not as tricky as some guys, I haven't figured out how to electronically overlay the tax map onto Google earth (because it's not a .kml) but I can go back and forth between the two maps and see who owns adjoining lands. But I have created a file of the WMA that I'm going to hunt that will open in Google Earth so you can see it. Go here:    Yanahli WMA.kmz  You'll need to click on Yanahli WMA.kmz. There might be a cleaner way to share this with you but I don't know how. If I could attach a file to this post I could do it. Once that files opens in Google your looking at the WMA I want to hunt.

Ok, who's still here? PM me if I lost you and I'll try to provide more help.  

Next up we can start talking about how to but all this whiz bang to work for us.
Chekmate TD Hunter II

Love many, trust few, row your own canoe!

Offline guspup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2010, 09:44:00 PM »
Use it all the time, even for land I've hunted for years

Offline Richie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2010, 10:19:00 PM »
I've used Google Earth many times it is a great tool.
Once a Marine always a Marine, Semper Fi

Offline Tav

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2010, 11:15:00 PM »
This is a great tool.  I use it extensively to find public lands to hunt and for general scouting.  I use it almost daily during the season when I'm not on the mountain.  Probably use it weekly during the off-season.

You can overlay USGS 1:24,000 topo maps, blm maps, and stream names/coverages.  I will look up the links I use and how I pull them into Google earth.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2010, 11:25:00 PM »
In these times of Metal risers, carbon core limbs Google is just another tool for Us to use..

Offline Bigriver

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2010, 12:04:00 AM »
If your state has gis maps for counties they are more helpful than google earth imo, check them out too. You can see property lines & find land owners names also.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2010, 12:53:00 AM »
Regular Google maps works good too, but doesn't have all the features.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2010, 06:32:00 AM »
It's been very valuable to me.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Bobhat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2010, 08:00:00 AM »
Burnsie is correct, just go to the regular Google page and hit maps, then go to your location.  Once there hit the "satellite" feature and the picture comes up.
Toelke Whip

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©