3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Google Earth Scouting  (Read 742 times)

Offline sffar

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Google Earth Scouting
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2010, 08:33:00 AM »
I've been using it as a starting place to plot out an archery course at a sportsmen's club I belong to. Provides a great overview.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2010, 08:48:00 AM »
I used it for the first time this year. Great stuff, now I see how I got lost in the BIG woods.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2010, 09:03:00 AM »
Originally posted by jfelkins:

Now I'm not as tricky as some guys, I haven't figured out how to electronically overlay the tax map onto Google earth (because it's not a .kml) but I can go back and forth between the two maps and see who owns adjoining lands. But I have created a file of the WMA that I'm going to hunt that will open in Google Earth so you can see it.  

Next up we can start talking about how to but all this whiz bang to work for us.
I too am not computer savy at all, but to make things easier on myself, and you too, if you have Windows 7, you can open 2 windows side by side so you don't need to go back and forth.  Just open 2 windows, then press the circle button on the keyboard below the Z and X keys and then press either the left or right arrow depending on which side you want that window opened up on, then do the same with the next window, then press the opposite arrow.  Now you will have both pages side by side. To go back to normal, click on the maximize tab up top.  

Wow, reading back on that, I can't believe I actually am able to do this, not to mention tell others how it's done.  I guess miracles do happen on Christmas.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2010, 09:35:00 AM »
you can get topo overlays for the US at.
  http://www.gelib.com/usgs-topographic-maps-2.htm  

Will show in MY PLACES.  Check mark it to make active.

You will need to download the but program is free.
Zoom in until you see blue out line. Click on name. Will ask if you want to view. Internet speed will dictate how fast they download.
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline carbonflyr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2010, 10:54:00 AM »
south ms bowhunter...tell me more about bing maps!!

Offline rbdover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2010, 10:56:00 AM »
Love Google Earth and hard copy topos too.
Aim and release as though you have but one arrow. Repeat as necessary.

Offline Follower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2010, 10:57:00 AM »
here's a helpful trick i learned.  with Google Earth up, go to Tools, Options and then change the Elevation Exageration to 3 (3 is max).  This will help the terrain features stand out a little more.  Then instead of a straight down birdseye view, I rotate the view so you are looking across the sattelite view - kinda puts you in a perspective that you are standing atop a nearby mountain looking at the area of interest.
"If any of you wants to be my follower, you must put aside your selfish ambition, shoulder your cross, and follow me...."  Jesus  (Mathew 16:24)

Offline DRR324

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2010, 11:06:00 AM »
I like Bing maps, they provide better images for my area than google.  I do like the GPS function of google, I can pinpoint a spot to cehck out, load the coordinates into my 60cx garmin and head out.  Been using both for a number of years now.  I also open two tabs, one with topo features to compare terrain.  Good post!
Pittsley Predator Classic
53# @ 28"
Easton Axis FMJ Camo-400's w/150g RazorCaps

"Dad, know what I like most about deer hunting?  The adrenaline rush you get when you know your going to get a shot at one"- my son Tyler after his first miss..

Offline RusD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2010, 11:10:00 AM »
I agree with South MS Bowhunter; the bird's eye view in Bing is pretty sweet.  I used to use another program that is exactly the same to scout backpacking trips.  Check it out if you get a chance.  When you first start out in bird's eye the picture isn't very good, but center your location and just keep zooming in.  You can even rotate the image, but it is a little tricky when you do.  Sometimes when you rotate you have to zoom back out, rotate, then zoom back in.

Offline raideranch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2010, 11:18:00 AM »
I use it.

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2010, 11:40:00 AM »
LOVE IT!!!!

I will not step into a new are without checking it first. Saves lots of boot leather.   :bigsmyl:
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2010, 11:57:00 AM »
Bing Maps is da Bomb.!
Tom

Offline luv2bowhunt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2010, 12:32:00 PM »
Google earth is excellent. I agree with someone earlier who posted that if your county has GIS mapping it is even better. I use that all the time, the arial photo resolution is incredible and seeing property ownership and boundries is fantastic. Some will even have a terrain feature that will show shaded elevation.

I do use Google Earth quite a bit though. I like being able to download all of my GPS coordinates to the My Places and viewing them on there, and using the History option allows for changing the arials, works for me because I can switch in my area from Black/White photos taken when the foliage was gone, to color photos with the mast on the trees.

There is some really cool stuff that you can do with Google Earth. Great topic!
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God."

Fred Bear

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2010, 03:06:00 PM »
I use it however one of the areas I hunt for Sika hasn't been updated since 2007 and a neighboring outfitter has crisscrossed the area with trails through some public land.  These don't show up on a 2007 shot.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2010, 08:52:00 AM »
I use maps live but same thing really,,,, honestly its priceless for fine tuning my stand placement on some new spots I found.  I'll print the pictures and save them in my binder and then with each location I write down what wind directions are best based on how I have the stand in there (or where on the ground I'll be hiding)

awesome tool.
"Us vs Them"

Offline Bodork

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2010, 09:53:00 AM »
I've used it for a few years. I like to look at a new area before ever setting foot on the place. After I've been there in person, I find myself back on google earth looking at the places I've spotted game and trying to give myself some insight as to why it was in a particular place. Next time I go out, I have an even better understanding of what's going on in that area.

Offline azhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2010, 11:19:00 AM »
I USE IT AND IT IS FANTASTIC.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2010, 03:03:00 PM »
just started using it a little.  I have gotten maps at the county offices and on line when available in the past, but this looks like a great tool to look at a lot more areas fast.  This would also be a great way to scout homes for sale with property.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2010, 03:28:00 PM »
It's Ok I use it at work alot but much ,much prefer Terrain Navigator topos . I use the 3D feature to see how steep the terrain is in an  area, not a problem if you are in the flat land but here some places are 45 degrees .
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2010, 05:05:00 PM »
awesome tool.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©