3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hog Calls  (Read 293 times)

Offline Problem Child

• Trad Bowhunter
Hog Calls
« on: December 24, 2010, 07:40:00 AM »
The public land area that I hunt has two creeks that are about 1/2 mile apart with an access road that runs about three miles right in the middle.

Along both creeks the hogs have the ground tore up but the hogs seem to be always on the move.We haven't seen a hog since deer season started but everywhere we go it looks like the hogs had just left.

I'm sure the best method would be to slowly stalk into the wind by the creeks but I don't want to disturb the other hunters.

So my question is,would a hog call bring the hogs in or are they just gimmicks??
"Right Wing Extremists"....has a nice ring to it don't it?

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hog Calls
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 07:44:00 AM »
I've never hunted hogs so my advice on calls is uneducated.  I don't see why it wouldn't work.  They seem to be social creatures.  If they "hear" one maybe they would come looking.  I give you credit for not wanting to mess up another hunters hunt.  However, I feel if it's public land and open to the public, go hunt.  Be considerate.  If you stumble upon a hunter sitting.  quietly back out.  Otherwise I say go have fun!

-Jeremy  :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 08:56:00 AM »
When you get that hog cll you are going to find that it looks and sounds suspicously like your deer call.   :saywhat:  

I can't say that I have randomly called hogs, but I have called hogs that I have seen with a deer grunt and/or my own vocalizations.   Practice some short grunts with your deer call.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 09:30:00 AM »
Coolest hog call idea I ever saw (& I saw it here) was to lay down in the middle of the road & make corn noises. Point being, hog calls are suspect at best. Don't remember ever calling in a hog & I've tried calling a bunch experimenting w/different techniques & tools.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 09:47:00 AM »
Originally posted by gregg dudley:
When you get that hog cll you are going to find that it looks and sounds suspicously like your deer call.    :saywhat:  

I can't say that I have randomly called hogs, but I have called hogs that I have seen with a deer grunt and/or my own vocalizations.   Practice some short grunts with your deer call.
Years ago when hog hunting with smoke pole I just used a deer grunt call..

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 10:32:00 AM »
Tried a hog call a couple of years ago (yes it does sound like a deer grunt call) I had shot a hog from a tree stand and the others were spooked but still close by when I grunted on the call they took off. May work if they aint spooked though.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline Cowboy Al

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2010, 10:54:00 AM »
Would a predator type distress call not work? I've seen shows where javalenia (sp?) are called that way.... I don't see why it wouldn't work with pigs.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2010, 11:15:00 AM »
Javies are way different. Much more curious & always ready for an easy meal.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Neon Quiver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2010, 11:33:00 AM »
There will be thousands of people Hog Callin' in the Sugar Bowl on Jan 4th.....

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2010, 11:36:00 AM »
LOL Neon!!!

Outdoor Success makes a grunt that has a setting for hogs. It's called the Call Zall and works great!!
 Watch the video for a demonstration.    :thumbsup:    http://www.outdoorsuccess.net/catalog.html
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2010, 12:12:00 PM »
Just like Turkeys Hogs will respond different depending on pressure. Some public Turkey hunting land I hunt for example is tuff. You do more than a couple of soft yelps and your sure not to kill one.Meaning unpressured pigs will do a lot of stuff for the camera.

I have used a "squeal" sounding call when near a big thicket and the sows would woof and grunt but not come out.Lets me know where they are and where to look for them at feed time.
  I`ve had pigs I was staking come to me while I shuffled my feet sounding like a feeding pig. Works better than trying to injun up on one in knee high dry leaves.RC

Offline Jim now in Kentucky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2010, 01:14:00 PM »
Couldn'tja just stand there and holler "Sooooooey! Soooooey! Soooey! Pig,pig,pig! that's how farmers used to do it before hog factories were invented.   :bigsmyl:
"Reparrows save arrows!"

"But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he that cometh to God must believe that he is and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him." Hebrews 11:6

Offline charlie phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2010, 02:32:00 PM »
I have the same problem.Never see any hogs but there sign everywhere. they move at night.

TXCP

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2010, 04:28:00 PM »
The one I use the most is: "Hey, come over here you little cutie"...PR
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©