3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best Aluminum Hang On Stand ?  (Read 512 times)

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Best Aluminum Hang On Stand ?
« on: December 24, 2010, 10:52:00 AM »
Who makes the lightest hang on aluminum stand out there and what are you guys using ? Thinking about buying a few for very remote areas. I know all about the Lone Wolf stands but simply cannot afford those. Thanks for the help !
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best Aluminum Hang On Stand ?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 11:11:00 AM »
Jimmy, I love my Gorilla hang-on.  It is light and well made.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Fritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 11:27:00 AM »
I'll second the Gorilla's. I have 6 or 7. Lightweight, well built, and economical.
God is good, all the time!!!

Online Littlejake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 11:54:00 AM »
3rd on the gorilla's for the price I don't think you can beat them...
Try and be the person your dog thinks you are...
PBS Regular Member

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 12:07:00 PM »
I've got a Summit RS Hawk very nice stand for the money and locs on with a bracket. Has some adjustment for leveling and hangs real easy. I hang brackets and simply carry stand in with me in the morning.  Joe
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline Bob Macioch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 12:29:00 PM »
You can also look for some used LW's......they are great stands.

Best
Bob
Hunt for you! Dont worry what others will say,if your happy with what you shoot who really cares what anyone else thinks.You will be happier in the long run and hunting will remain the fun way to get meat for your entire life.Enjoy the journey

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2010, 12:44:00 PM »
Just ask "ole Dad" here.  Check out LocOn (the brand name).  The spirit is the bomb.  I have 3.  They are light and sturdy when mounted...  I'll get ya a pic later.  I am cooking right now....
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2010, 01:17:00 PM »
I love this site and all the great folks on here...... !

Yep, Gregg looking at the Silverback HX looks pretty good. I have used their biggest steel hang ons and LOVE them ! Seats are the bomb. Stayed on stand for 12-13hrs during rut in total comfort.

JoeM, yep we love our climbing Vipers by Summit. I have looked at the Hawk series and yes they look good, love the leveling feature and waterproof seat feature. However, not going to consider them for this application due to the slatted tubular platform..... sounds like a 5 piece band going thru the brushy clearcut areas we hunt when limbs, stick, and brush slap it. That is the ONLY thing we do not like about Summit stands, everything else about them is totally awesome.

Maybe I can find a used LW cheap one day, I know they go fast and are good stands. Solid cast platform makes no noise. I have heard the LW Assault is an assault on your backside.... seat is very uncomfortable. Again, just what I have heard.

Bruce, will check into LocOn, I had forgot about them ? Are they still in biz ? Another thing I am considering is cost. We leave some of these stands out for a few weeks on public land and even though we use a cable lock don't want to chance losing too much $$$ if they get gone. I bought a el cheapo stand from Dick's for $29 and have been pleasantly surprised ! Solid, comfy, and decent weight even though it is steel. Sleeping good at night not worrying about a $150 stand getting stolen.
TGMM  Family of the Bow

Offline Bent Rig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2010, 01:27:00 PM »
Loggy Bayou Lite - padded seat and it has a foot rest - just 7lbs. !  :thumbsup:
Paul

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2010, 01:33:00 PM »
Jimmy:

Check your email in a couple of minutes

Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2010, 08:47:00 PM »
ttt, keep it coming fellas.....
TGMM  Family of the Bow

Offline buckracks7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2010, 08:53:00 PM »
Staghorn if you can find a used one.
If it's in your way, move it.

Offline carbonflyr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2010, 09:07:00 PM »
for light weight you can't beat an original loc-on windwalker, only 5 3/4 lbs. the problem is finding one.
i think the loc-on limit will give you better service,slightly larger platform and higher seat.
price ain't that bad at $115 good luck in your search

Offline arrowflipper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2010, 09:41:00 PM »
I agree with some above the LOC-ON is light weight an easy to carry.I have two old Loc-on spirit's that have served me well for years.Merry Christmas to all!

Offline swampmaster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2010, 09:46:00 PM »
ameristep

Offline J.Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2010, 11:26:00 PM »
I still have 2 LOC-ON Limits that I've had for at least 20 yrs.Very light but the platforms are small.

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2010, 08:42:00 AM »
gorilla.
"Us vs Them"

Offline chad graham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2010, 10:18:00 AM »
i have a loggy bayou hang on lite,its lite,simple,and secure.i dont know if they still make them?i bought mine 22 years ago when i was 18!

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2010, 10:43:00 AM »
chad, me too ! I bought the Loggy Bayou climbers when they first came out 20+ years ago. Used them for years then finally bought some great rain gear and bout killt myself !!! I had never hunted in the rain before and climbed a wet poplar that fateful morning.... Luckily I was only up about 8 feet when the climbing band slipped and I fell over backwards and hung upside down like a bat for a few seconds ! My feet were the only thing that saved me. I gathered my wits about me and was able to flip myself up enough to grab the hand climber and right myself. Sold it the next season and bought a Summit Viper. No regrets !

I will look at the LB and most importantly, how it secures to the tree. If the platform is like the old climbers and uses tubular slats then it will make to much noise going thru our grown over clearcuts.

swampmaster, I had forgot to look at Ameristep, thanks bud ! One thing I am learning now that we ALWAYS use a harness is that we can get by with a much smaller platform. In my young and dumb days I just used a large platform and no harness. Yes, very dumb indeed, but in my defense harness design sucked or was almost non existent back then. We can shoot better off the smaller platform by leaning out with the harness to keep our upper body in the correct, " T " shape and not shoot high. We rig our harness very high in our tree and slide our prussic knot to where it is snug when sitting. When standing and leaning out for a shot the harness is snug. The el cheapo Dick's stand I am hunting now is 20" X 24" and seems to have plenty of room. I do like the looks of the Gorilla Silverback HX cause it is 21" X 27". The length seems to be the most important for comfort as long as the width is at least 18". JMHO
TGMM  Family of the Bow

Offline Missouri Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2010, 10:53:00 AM »
Loc om Limit is my favorite. About 7 lbs. and so easy to pu up.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©