3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Does anyone else not like how to videos?  (Read 620 times)

Offline BHTGdogs

• Trad Bowhunter
Does anyone else not like how to videos?
« on: December 24, 2010, 09:17:00 PM »
Like how to shooting videos. My train of thought is I came from compounds to stick bows for the simplicity of shooting more natural and less to think about for me anyway. And I dont like watching these how to videos as it makes me want to think. And not concentrate on just the shot. Does anyone else feel this way?

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Does anyone else not like how to videos?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 09:20:00 PM »
I like them, This is why.. I learn from them, I too came from wheels to Stick and I want to better Myself to Show More Honor for the Game I Hunt..

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 09:47:00 PM »
When I shot and didn't know anything, I shot well all the time. When I started to read about form and proper stance, watched some videos and learned from the experts my shooting went to "H # L L" and hasn't come back yet. What I got from the experts was a case of target panic that I have been fighting for 7 or 8 years. But I still try to do it the right way........
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 09:53:00 PM »
I like 'How to" flint knapping videos.

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 09:53:00 PM »
IF your shooting great then dont bother, on the other hand if your suffering with accuracy then by all means watch, with a open mind, and then practice till YOUR method comes to you.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline Jeff Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 09:55:00 PM »
Everyone has an opinion. The main point all of them make is to hold your form till the arrow hits spot.
Living and hunting with a traditional mindset.

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2010, 10:27:00 PM »
How-to shooting videos... nope.
There was one that had everyone at the range look like they were trying to sit on the toilet as they shot.

How-to knapping, arrow building, string making, bow making, etc... enjoy the hell out of those and learn a lot from them.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline BHTGdogs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2010, 10:33:00 PM »
I love the other how tos like the flintknapping ones have two of those and doing the twist for string making i just want to keep my shooting simple if the arrow is going where I look
I couldnt care less how it got there.

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2010, 08:25:00 AM »
videos are good if you know nothing lets face it you gotta start somewere. if you start a bad habit it is hard to break. as simple as it is theres still plenty to learn.I have gained a lot of knowlege from books an video.an some of the best info you can get is if someone is videoing YOU while you shoot.I do this with my son an I can take him in the house an show him what Iam talking about or what Iam trying to explain to him.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2010, 09:06:00 AM »
Archery is a lot like golf. Anyone can swing a club. Anyone can hit a ball. But to make it go where you want every time? That's where the details come in, and there's nothing "simple" about it.

Anyone can pull a string and let it go. Anyone can make arrows fly "that-a-way." It's nice to see so many instructional videos out there these days dedicated to folks who want to learn to really shoot well, not just grip it and rip it.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2010, 09:06:00 AM »
Like many folks I taught myself how to shoot back when I was a teenager in the 60's and early 70's. I got along fine...actually better than fine -- I won and placed in trad tournaments and killed more deer than any of the folks I hunted with. However, it has only been since 2005 that I really knew how to shoot and how to avoid mental shooting problems that run the majority of archers out of archery. I learned these things from someone who perfected the techniques by coaching Olympians.

I won't buy a "how to" unless I know and belive in the "instructor" or the person who recommeds the video.  There are folks, one in particular, that has forgotten more than I'll ever know about how to shoot...any type of archery.  This past August his video added 10 yards to my effective range in about 3 days.

I was given another such video that a US World Team Champ and counterpart in England put together. I'll soon be looking at it.

I agree with Plumber too that a self-video can be very helpful in seeing if what you think you are doing is actually correct. The first time I did this my wife thought I was an egomaniac -- taping myself and watching on TV!

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2010, 09:39:00 AM »
I may be the only person who sees it this way but here's my take on shooting.

The "How-to" tapes/cds are there to help you learn how to reproduce your successes.

Bows are just bows and will do the exact same thing each and every time.... if the shooter does the same thing each and every time, the arrow should hit in the same spot each time.

It doesn't happen that way for me because I screw up doing the same thing each time or the wood in the next arrow has a little different grain and just doesn't fly like the one before it.

I am so glad that I can't reproduce shot after shot perfectly because if I could the challenge would be gone and I'd get as bored with shooting my stick bow as I did with the one I had with sights and wheels.

This is just my take on a cool subject.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Carbon Jack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2010, 09:41:00 AM »
Like Bowwild I learned to shoot a certain way in the 60s and 70s. Pretty standard split-finger canted bow stuff. I have no interest in learning another method. I'd much rather figure things out on my own. This is the appeal of archery to me.

Nothing is more annoying than to show up at a range and have some other well-meaning shooter try to change something you are doing. I do not listen but simply smile. Then I try to get away from them. I like to do things my own way whether it works or not.

Jack

Offline traditional beagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2010, 09:42:00 AM »
Not into all that much either. If you can practice enough and satisfy yourself then I don't care what the experts say is the best. You can end up chasing your tail if not careful. You have to realize that the guys that are exceptional at shooting a bow are most likely very gifted to start with. Face it, everyone will not be able to be a crack shot no matter how much they practice or read or train.

Offline Carbon Jack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2010, 09:45:00 AM »
Originally posted by traditional beagle:
Not into all that much either. If you can practice enough and satisfy yourself then I don't care what the experts say is the best. You can end up chasing your tail if not careful. You have to realize that the guys that are exceptional at shooting a bow are most likely very gifted to start with. Face it, everyone will not be able to be a crack shot no matter how much they practice or read or train.
Beagle, you got that right. No kid ever played more baseball than I did. Still, I stunk. Talent goes a long way if you have it. And you can't teach talent.

Jack

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2010, 09:45:00 AM »
I'm working on a how-to video:

"How To Convince People My Way Is Correct".

;)

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2010, 10:36:00 AM »
Let's face it, how to shoot videos are a money making proposition for the producer hopefully.  I'm sure they do want to help people but ultimately they want to sell DVDs.

Just like golf instruction DVDs.  It's almost impossible to teach anything that will stick that way and I've found it's impossible to duplicate another's golf swing or shooting form from a video. A few sessions in front of a pro will correct flaws or at least identify them.

The best way to learn is from having someone who either is good shot or an instructor watch you shoot and correct your flaws then and there. If you have the bucks and time go to one of the well known teaching coaches. In lieu of that find someone you know who can really shoot and enlist them.  I have a friend who has been a deadly shot for the last 40+ years I have known him and although I can't duplicate his form he would be able to offer help in detecting shooting problems in others I'm sure.

When I started in archery there were no DVDs, videos, instructers but there were good shooters who helped out when asked.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Brute killer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2010, 06:18:00 PM »
Y'all do what you want.
I shoot better after watching Larry Yien on "Masters of the Barebow".
Martin
"The first deer that gets close enough and I'm goin Womack on his ass!! " Charlie Lamb

Offline Blackstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2010, 07:38:00 PM »
I have the entire “Masters” series and enjoy seeing all the different techniques being used. What I have learned is that there is no wrong way to shoot a bow, so long as you shoot it repeatable the same way every time.

Offline Northwoods

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2010, 01:17:00 PM »
I think that there is always an opportunity to improve.  In the absence of a mentor to personally teach a skill, both how-to videos and books provide a good source of information.  Often this may only be a subtle change but might result in a considerable improvement in that particular skill. I like them, watch them with an open mind then try out bits and pieces of advice to see what works for me but avoid just copying the experts because it works for them.  

Anyone or anything can be a teacher if you listen with an open mind.

Just my opinion.

Ted
Be strong and of good courage, do not be afraid or be dismayed for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go - Joshua 1:9

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©