3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Green Horn question  (Read 241 times)

Offline Going4BnC

• Trad Bowhunter
Green Horn question
« on: December 25, 2010, 03:51:00 PM »
I know very little about stick bows. So this could be a dumb question. Is there a formula to figure out how much a the bow will load as the draw length grows? Ive notice some bows show a poundage at a certain draw length some just show a poundage. Im looking to buy a cheaper ventage bow to learn on/ see if im worth a hoot with. I like the bears, but the problem is I have a draw length of 31 inches. So when I see a bow thats 66 inches at 45#. I dont know if its going to load up to heavy at my length or not. Is there a way to tell other than shooting it? Or was there even a vintage bear made to suit a 31 inch draw? Thanks for your help in advance.

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Green Horn question
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 04:06:00 PM »
Stickbows typically gain / loss 3lbs per inch either past or shorter than the 28" standard. So.... your 45# @ 28" becomes roughly 55lbs. However, most start stacking pretty hard past 30" of draw. I bet your draw is actually 30" with a stickbow. Most folks draw around a inch shorter versus compound draw length. Since you are just getting started try to find a bow that is closer to 40lbs since you have a long draw. Nothing worse when getting started than to overbow yourself and pick up bad form and habits. JMHO
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Fischman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2010, 04:06:00 PM »
Going, the typical trad bows draw weight is measured at 28 inches and usually gain somewhere between 2-3 lbs per inch of draw beyond that to a certain point then stack considerably depending on the style and length and weight of bow.Usually longer bows are recommended for longer draw lengths. Usually if your new to traditional archery and have been shooting a compound then drop down aprox. 10 lbs or more from that weight, If your considering 66" bow 45# at 28" and you draw it a full 31" it will probably be around 7-9 lbs heavier at 31". So about 52-54lbs. If you can comfortably handle that weight then go to it, learn and have fun!Jerry
YOU HAVE TO STAND FOR SOMETHING OR YOU'LL FALL FOR ANYTHING !!!

Offline PA-Spot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2010, 04:14:00 PM »
My guess would be to start out with a bow that draws 45-50# at your draw length. The 3 lbs per in. + or - I find to work also. I also think that once you get started. You will find your draw lenght will be shorter with trad gear. Good luck!!

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2010, 06:31:00 PM »
aaron, click on the 'new to trad archery?' link in my sig line ....
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2010, 07:53:00 PM »
Good info on Rob's link above BnC.
  Definitely have your draw length with the stickbow checked by another trad archer to be sure. I know guys  6'4 to 6'8 that dont draw 31". Unless shooting "point of aim" method using arrow as a sight in secondary vision.
I've got a good stash, I'll see if I can find a cheapo that will handle a long draw like that to practice on.
David M. Conroy

Offline Going4BnC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2010, 12:07:00 AM »
Thanks for all the help guys. I'm 6'5-6'6ish. I have a 78 inch wing span. I know using modern equipment you multiplied your wing spand times 2.5. That comes out to 31.2. So if I lose an inch like im reading. I should be in the 30 inch draw range. Ok I now have a little better starting point in my search for a stick bow. GREATLY APPRECIATED EVERYONE!!!!

Offline BCWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2010, 07:18:00 AM »
Aaron,

Looks like you are a big ole boy! The only way you will know your draw length is to actually measure it with the bow you're shooting. Some folks shoot with a straight bow arm and some with a slight bend so that and other things come into play when you talk draw length.

Different shooting styles effect your draw. For this reason, my draw is 1/2 inch shorter on most long bows than it is on my recurves.

Ask all the questions you want and someone here will try to help. This is a great site to learn from.

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2010, 08:43:00 AM »
Your 31" draw is with a compound. Get checked with a recurve. As you step back from compound to recurve to longbow then to selfbow your draw leanth will shorten with each step backard. Because your stance will close up some your draw leanth will shorten and inch or even two with some people. I shot 28 1/2 when I shot a compound now with a selfbow it's shorten to 25 1/2. I've built selfbows for 20 plus years and come a cross this all the time.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2010, 09:02:00 AM »
aaron, heed what roy has just posted.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Going4BnC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2010, 02:27:00 PM »
Wow, guys thats cool. I would have never thought about how your bow stance could change your draw length. Thanks for your help everyone. I have ALOT of learning to do, and Id say this is a great place to do that.

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2010, 02:57:00 PM »
I would definitley look for a longer bow as already mentioned.  I'd say minimum of 62", 64-66" even better.  I think if you pick up an older Bear that is 60" or 58" your going to hit a wall. The older shorter Bears stacked pretty good once you went much over 29"
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©