3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Planning For Next Year  (Read 390 times)

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Planning For Next Year
« on: December 25, 2010, 08:42:00 PM »
How many of you are like me, where the current season isn't even quite over, yet I am already dreaming of next year?  

I've already started the process of looking at different states websites, tag draw odds, preference point totals, etc. etc.  And then trying to gauge how much time away from home I can get away with and still have my key work in the door when I return.   :saywhat:  

It's never to early to start planning ahead   ;)      :bigsmyl:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Planning For Next Year
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 09:08:00 PM »
Our deer season ended here in NY on Tuesday.  I was just telling my better half that there are only 280 days left until the 2011 early archery opener and I really need to start focusing on that.  It didn't go real well LOL!  I do have a new hunting location locally that I need to scout.  And I will take a walk through my other local spot tomorrow, with snowshoes.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2010, 09:57:00 PM »
My hunting partner and I are already thinking 2011.  For sure shed antlers/turkeys this spring; more of both!  Then maybe a bear hunt with my brother in Manitoba/Alberta ('11 or '12).  Then committed to a MT antelope hunt.  And then deer, deer, deer...
"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2010, 10:01:00 PM »
I'm planing on going home to oklahoma and hunting with my brother,it's long overdue.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline bowmaster12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2010, 10:03:00 PM »
started planning my first out of state hunting trip, plan on chasin bears in idaho, thinking of trying to plan a hunt at my cabin in northern wisconsin

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2010, 10:05:00 PM »
I hear you Joe and have already been making some plans too.

Spring bear and turkeys then fall Elk, Muledeer, Whitetails and some more turkeys.     :bigsmyl:    

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2010, 10:09:00 PM »
Hoping to get back to Texas beginning of next Dec.2011, Gonna try and get into bivy camping and hunting before I can't do it anymore. Lost 1400+ acres in NJ to hunt on so now I have to look for property to hunt on, yes I'm thinking about it hard !
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2010, 10:49:00 PM »
I hear ya Whip ! Mason and I, God willing want to return to Illinois next year if we can ? Been a few years since we have been and longed to go back ever since. We did not know how bad we had it here in TN till that first morning in Illinois ! I sure envy you guys that live in the Midwest ! Simply awesome hunting.
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline bro-n-arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2010, 11:56:00 PM »
The planning helps me get thru the winter.
Psalm 71:18 Now also when I am old and gray-headed,O God, do not forsake me,Until I declare your strength to this generation.

Offline Ybuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2010, 12:03:00 AM »
I just signed off on 3 and a half weeks in Nov. for Iowa deer.
Also MN. deer and turkeys.
Steve.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2010, 12:43:00 AM »
Yep. My next blind or stand will be closer to where I've seen deer from my current blind/stand. If nothing else I've learned to pattern the deer movement on the small tract I hunt. So yes, I've already started planning for next year and have begun mental plans on a ground blind. Also on another tree stand with improvements over my current one. Unfortunately the tract isn't large enough for stalking.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2010, 01:08:00 AM »
I'm already planning deer hunts in 5 states. Potentially a Bison hunt. And 2 outfitter hog hunts with my oldest Grandson, maybe a combo deer/hog if timing is right.
Would like to set up a bear hunt, but need to keep the wife happy also, (perhaps goats in Puerto Rico, or maybe Hawaiian Islands?). That should render her speechless.

Offline pow-bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2010, 02:47:00 AM »
Draw hunt entries for Alaska closes on Dec. 31 so planning ahead is a must.  Basically put in for the same long shots year after year and hope for the best.  Haven't drawn yet.
Nothing ruins a good hunt like pulling the trigger

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2010, 03:16:00 AM »
I'm already planning to many hunts. Waiting periods are off and my elk and antelope which makes for a hard chioce. I'm at max pionts on cow moose and the hope of drawing a Mt.goat tag is getting better but my main focus has be on really getting after the deer,elk and turkeys close to home. I'm starting a two year plan on doing my frist whitetail hunt.

Offline RRock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2010, 06:44:00 AM »
Moose. This year was my first time with them, close but no cigar. Going to do it again next year and hope I've learned from my mistakes of this year. Moose, wish I had started chasing those pesky critters 30 years ago.

Offline Earl Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2010, 08:08:00 AM »
Spring turkey hunt in Kansas, and then to Maine in September for bear.

Offline jtwalsh62

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2010, 08:24:00 AM »
WELL Plan to go down to Tx to hunt with a friend in March then back here for Turkey , Blackbear in Manitoba end of May  then out west after those Elk again then back here for Whitetail .Lets hpoe all works out
jt walsh
 be still and listen

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2010, 10:04:00 AM »
With classes, "teacher" type stuff and school schedule, my "plans" are pretty loose right now.

Need to do some stand work and of course there is the mowing etc on my land...

Hope to have a new LB to work with.  Perhaps a trip to an adjacent state for a little different look...

Right now thats about it.
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2010, 11:08:00 AM »
Tule Elk   :pray:  I have all the points I need I thought I would of drew that tag this year but  :dunno:  and NV Mule Deer tag, Elk or Antelope anywere I can get a tag.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2010, 11:18:00 AM »
Going to really make an effort to secure permission to hunt some more private land. It's tough around here, but you never know until you ask.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©