3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anybody do this?  (Read 325 times)

Offline sam barrett

• Trad Bowhunter
Anybody do this?
« on: December 25, 2010, 09:45:00 PM »
I've been thinking about trying to shoot without a glove or tab, one less thing to lose or forget.  A couple ideas I've had would be to "serve" or "wrap" the string where my fingers would be with wool yarn or maybe put some shrink tubing there?  Has anybody tried this, If so how does it work?  Thanks, Sam

Offline stiknstringer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anybody do this?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 09:58:00 PM »
A product called "no glove" are rubber sleeves for your string which slide on. Check it out at Three Rivers.   :thumbsup:

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline sam barrett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2010, 10:24:00 PM »
I've seen the no glove, but havn't heard anything good about them?  I was thinking that the shrink tubing or the wool yarn would be less obtrusive on the string?  Thanks for the suggestion.   Sam

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2010, 10:37:00 PM »
I think the no-glove will give you more effective padding at a smaller diameter than wool roving or yarn.
Shrink tubing will only increase the diameter of the string a small amount and will give you pretty much no padding or cushion.

You may only be able to tell what will/won't work for you by trying it out.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2010, 10:59:00 PM »
A heavier/double serving works well for bare fingered shooting.  Doesn't work as well at heavier draw weights, say 55# and up unless you have very tough fingers.

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2010, 11:06:00 PM »
In 'Masters of the Bare Bow Vol 1' Roger Rothhaar discusses how he serves his string since he shoots bare handed.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2010, 11:39:00 PM »
Sam,
I normally shoot with a glove. But also practice shooting without one, and have a 102# longbow which I draw whenever without a glove.
I don't do anything special to the strings, they are set up just as if I were using a glove. However, I don't shoot long sessions with bare fingers. I will generally shoot 5 to 10 arrows without the glove. The reason I do this is like you stated, one less thing worry about. Also it tends to get extremely humid in Florida and my leather glove will get wet from sweat and sometimes fall off the fingers. At other times I will remove it from my fingers just to keep it from getting wet. By practicing with bare fingers I don't have to be concerned with getting the glove on if I need to make a quick shot on a critter that manages to surprise me. (Also is nice to know if you happen to forget or lose the glove that it won't ruin your hunt.)
I shoot split finger and Flemish (two finger split). Shoot both styles bare finger with bows up to 80# with no problem, but never more than 10 shots a practice. But I do draw the 102# bow probably 20-30 times a day bare finger.
(Don't think I would like to shoot that one without a glove.)

Offline gobblegrunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2010, 09:13:00 AM »
Originally posted by sam barrett:
I've seen the no glove, but havn't heard anything good about them?  I was thinking that the shrink tubing or the wool yarn would be less obtrusive on the string?  Thanks for the suggestion.   Sam
I'm curious about the no-glove as well...but as posted above, havent heard a lot of good things about them. I wonder though, can they REALLY have THAT profound of an effect on the bow string? Enough for a 3D shooter/hunter to notice? They WOULD be very convenient in hunting scenerios, I would think....  :dunno:
"It's not about inches or antlers..."     ~Bill Langer

Offline longarrow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2010, 09:27:00 AM »
Keep in mind ANYTHING you add to the bow (string) will affect how the bow shoots, where the bow shoots, and what arrow/point combo you will need to use. I often practic with bare fingers (not alot) just so I know how it feels, how the bow and myself will react. Just in case I ever forget my glove!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Live a Good Life! And in the end, it's not the number of years in your life...it's the LIFE in your years!!!

Offline mickeys4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2010, 09:51:00 AM »
As far as losing a glove or tab I think anyone should be able to get off a shot or two bare finger. I wear plain brown cotton gloves.I cut three fingers half off to accommodate my glove.This thwarts the mosquitoes in warm weather and works well in mild cold weather. If it gets really cold I wear a thin polypropylene glove inside a brown cotton glove with no tab or glove.I may forget my glove.I carry an extra tab in my possibles bag,but I won't forget my gloves.I still get a good release with the cotton glove.I know some shoot bare finger,whatever works for you.
"The longbow is the reason we don't speak French today,"

Offline traditional beagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2010, 11:47:00 AM »
Wow. If you can shoot regular with out some kind of glove or tab then you got fingers tougher than wood pecker lips. Wish I could but no way. I really need the leather with my terrible release.

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2010, 12:23:00 PM »
I put a 3" piece of peep sight tubing below my nock point. (I shoot 3 under) Works for me and I don't notice any loss in speed, performance, etc. I started with a No-Glove, then a Saunders version. All thicker rubber. The tubing gives just enough cushion and doesn't move much. BTW you won't have to worry about a glove or tab which is the main reason I do it this way as I'm getting old and forgetful.  :(
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Offline NY Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Wooden Bows, Wooden Arrows and 2-Blade Broadheads
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2010, 12:58:00 PM »
Can you say "I've got a pinched nerve in my finger that hurts like hell when I draw"? They make gloves and tabs for a reason.
"Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"
Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Offline bro-n-arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2010, 01:34:00 PM »
Boy! Some people have tough fingers. NOT ME
Psalm 71:18 Now also when I am old and gray-headed,O God, do not forsake me,Until I declare your strength to this generation.

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2010, 02:37:00 PM »
I shot with out a glove (bare string) for almost 20 years and loved it. Unfortunately a fillet knife and a crappie ended up causing me to damage the nerve in the tip of my index finger. Now I have to shoot a glove!
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline BamaBarebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2010, 02:43:00 PM »
I never shot a glove till a few weeks ago. The only reason I started using one is because I moved up in weight.
Bama Bows Hunter 53lbs @ 28”
Genesis 27:3

Offline BamaBarebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2010, 04:33:00 PM »
I would sometimes shoot with a thin Underarmor glove. I still shot really well and felt like I had clean releases.
Bama Bows Hunter 53lbs @ 28”
Genesis 27:3

Offline swamper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2010, 05:06:00 PM »
been using the no gloves as long as I can remember,over 20 years,never a problem even shooting with gloves in cold weather

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2010, 05:19:00 PM »
i shoot barefinger... shot upwards of 200 shots one day with no hurting.

granted its only 46# bow, but my string is artificial sinew with artificial sinew serving. very very light.

-hov
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©