3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: eye dominence  (Read 697 times)

Offline redpepper49

• Trad Bowhunter
eye dominence
« on: December 27, 2010, 11:55:00 AM »
i have a right handed left eye dominate grandson what bow should he shoot.

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: eye dominence
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 12:13:00 PM »
I had a good friend of mine I use to shoot with that was left handed right eye dominate. He shot left handed! I must say he was the best shot I've ever been around. My advice would be to let him shoot which ever hand he feels comfortable with. JMHO! I'm sure some others will chime in. Lot's of good advice on here! Jason

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 12:13:00 PM »
Same as my son. Many posts on this and lots of arguments. My finding for my son was to switch him to a lefty bow. Best thing I ever did.
David M. Conroy

Offline BernieH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 12:14:00 PM »
Left handed bow for him.

He could shoot a right handed one just not as well as a left handed one. Some people will say that it doesn't matter but it made a huge difference for me.
I am right handed and left eyed and I switched as an adult. Within a month of the switch I was shooting better left handed than I ever did right handed and its only gotten better over time. I shot okay right handed but not so well past twenty yards.
Bernie

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 01:12:00 PM »
He should shoot a left handed bow.  I suffered all sorts of misery and frustration for years trying to shoot right handed with a left eye dominance.  It was not until a friend convinced me to try a left handed bow that the picture all came together beautifully.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 01:25:00 PM »
I am right handed and left eye dominant. I have shot both sides and much prefer left.
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 01:51:00 PM »
The usual advice to to follow the eye, but sometimes the hand seems to win over.  If one eye is just mildly dominant it may not matter as much.  See if you can find one of those fiberglass bows that are shelved on both sides and let him figure out which works best for him.

I am left handed but strongly right eye dominant.  Eye coord things have always been done RH, altho I can do OK at some LH.  Shooting is always RH.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Gerardo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 02:55:00 PM »
I am left eye dominant and right handed , I learned to shoot lh , get him a lh bow it will feel more natural eventually and he will shoot with both eyes open
Gerardo Rodriguez

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 02:59:00 PM »
I think I would get him a LH bow,he's young and it will get easier for him.

Offline $bowhunter$

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 03:26:00 PM »
im right handed and left eye domanant. i shoot right handed but im older and im used to shooting that way so its more natural to me. get let him try both and decide what he likes best.
"SHOOT STRAIT" - something im still working twards

Offline OP-archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 03:35:00 PM »
What Gerardo said.  As a boy I was a natural "lefty."  But, for some reason my parents though that being left-handed was unacceptable.  So, all my aiming sports I do left handed.  Everything else is right handed.
IMO SGT. Bradley S. Crose,
USA, 1/75  
Lest we Forget.

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2010, 03:42:00 PM »
I'm right handed and shoot left because I'm left eye domanant. start him out left handed. It's hard to change later
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline redpepper49

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2010, 05:25:00 PM »
thanks for all the info it helps alot

Offline CG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2010, 05:43:00 PM »
All that's been said above is good stuff, but here's another angle on the matter--my son is RH and very left eye dominant.  Once I figured that out, I started "gently" suggesting that he start shooting LH, thinking that I was doing him a big favor in the long run.  At the time, he already had a RH bow that he really liked.  Furthermore, since he had already been shooting for a while, doing everything RH was comfortable to him.

My gentle but consistent hints about LH shooting didn't resonate with him, and he really hasn't shot his bow much at all since then.

In hindsight, I should have left it alone and let him decide for himself (although I still would have pointed out to him that it might be easier for him LH, but let it go after that).  Although my intentions were good, from the point of view of a youngster I took the fun out of it for him--he didn't embrace the change and it took the fun out of it for him.

Although I wouldn't consider myself to be too "over the top" on these kinds of things, I still managed to forget that it should be fun first and foremost.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2010, 06:28:00 PM »
I shot right handed/left eye dominant for over 30 years.  I did not make the switch until I was about 50.  No problem--it went faster than I ever thought it could.  We're never too old to learn a new trick or two.  Best thing absolutely that I ever could have done for my shooting.  But I sure wish somebody would have taught me to shoot lefty when I was a kid getting started--would have saved me a lot of frustration.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2010, 06:49:00 PM »
I started out shooting traditional bows and then went to compound ,And when I came back to shooting traditional bows only ! I found I dragged my old habits from the compound right into it . For a long time I was shooting with one eye closed ,Could not figure why my arrows were going left all the time ,Consistent group but left . Then I read a thread on here some years back about leaving both eyes open ,It changed the whole world of shooting . If he's right handed and left eye dominant ,What was the difference if he shoots with both eyes open

or

What would make the difference if he's leaving both eyes open and shoots left handed ?

But I think the guys are right on here ,let your grandson choose .

Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2010, 07:05:00 PM »
I'm right-handed and left-eye dominant. I shot 28 years right handed with the left eye closed.  I've  been shooting left-handed with both eyes open since 1996.

I highly recommend getting him comfortable shooting left-handed. I hope one of my grandsons is left-eye dominant or my wife is going to sell a bunch of LH bows someday.

The industry sells 1 lefty for every rightie. Based on eye dominance, the number of LH bows should be 2.5-3 times higher. I wish this were true because then maybe our friend Felix could find that LH Bear Custom Kodiak TD!

Offline capt eddie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2010, 07:34:00 PM »
I am right handed and was right handed until an eccident left me blind in my right eye.  For two years I Did not shot a gun of bow because I was scared of being a terrible shot. My new kids talked me in to shooting with them.  I shot right handed with LD eye.  Not one problem yet.  If anything I am more acurate because I take my time now.  I do shot instinctive not gap or point on.  When I tried looking at the arrow to gap shot it goes everywhere. If you want the boy to shot like he throws a ball then let the hand dictate.
capt eddie

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2010, 07:35:00 PM »
I am RH but LE dominant like others. Changing to LH shooting 2 years ago was the best thing I ever did.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2010, 07:42:00 PM »
Get him a LH bow and never look back. If you don't he will suffer in many ways. Been there sold all my righty custom bows.

Jack
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©