3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New Binos Need Advice  (Read 1125 times)

Offline Caleb the bow breaker

• Trad Bowhunter
New Binos Need Advice
« on: December 27, 2010, 12:32:00 PM »
Hey all,

got some money for Christmas and was thinking i might spend it on some new binos.  So basically I am soliciting opinions for quality binos that are in the 200 dollar range.  Plus or minus a little and cheaper is better assuming the quality is good.  

Primarily I hunt river bottoms for whitetails so dont really need super hi power glasses.

Caleb
Oh squeaky treestand, how I hate thee!

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New Binos Need Advice
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 12:46:00 PM »
Caleb,

I have a 15 year old pair of Swarovski binos that I love and would highly recommend to anyone BUT in your price range they are not a fit.  Go on line to Eagle Optics out of Madison/Middleton, Wisconsin.  They have all brands of optics and also their own brand of binos - Vortex.  In the Vortex line there are a couple of price points and I think one of them will be in your range.  From what I have seen, Vortex are in the same catagory as optics with twice the price tag - great value for the money.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Missouri Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 12:56:00 PM »
Take a look at Minox binos, well made and in the price range.

Offline bad arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 01:01:00 PM »
Google GarrettOptical.com- a great source for binoculars. Inexpensive considering the build and lens quality, shipping fast. Ain't Swarovski but you'll get alot for $200.....Phil

Offline Moon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 01:16:00 PM »
I have had a set of Minox 8x32 for about 10 years and I highly recommend them.  My next choice would be Leupold in the price range you mentioned.

Good luck.
Moon

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 01:21:00 PM »
i agree on the Minox.  i sent you a pm where you can get demo models at a reduced price.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Zmonster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 01:29:00 PM »
Took a recommendation from another member here on a set of Burris binos and couldn't be happier. Signature Select Semi-Compact Binocular 10X32mm and in your price range. Comparable to much more expensive brands. Plus Burris has a lifetime warranty.

Casey
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying,
"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Offline Bishop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 03:01:00 PM »
Vortex and Minox are good bang for the buck. The Leupold Yosemites 6.5x32 are great for under $100.

Offline Drew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 03:09:00 PM »
www.opticsplanet.com

I'd check out the vortex brand, I'm considering them myself
Just a Coyote Soul out wandering...

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 03:18:00 PM »
I have a set of 6x30 Leupold Yosemites...they're 88 bucks all over the web.

The major determinates- good glass and the factor of the two lense numbers- 30 divided by 6- gives you the a factor of five- and that's about all the light your eye can take in ...

They won't work out west....but in a close creekbottom environment they're perfect. They meet your under 200 criteria by a wide margin- I think they're worth a look.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Desert Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 03:26:00 PM »
I would check out the Vortex Diamondback in that price range. They are a great little bino with a no fault lifetime warranty. Great company to deal with as well as they are the most customer service oriented in the business.

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2010, 03:47:00 PM »
In that price range I'd look at the Steiner Military/Marine in 8X30. Great glasses for bowhunting in thicker stuff, set them for your eyes and your set. When critters are moving thru the brush you don't always have time to focus. It's a shame they quit making the 6X30, they were the ultimate glasses for close range in dense cover.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2010, 03:57:00 PM »
I have a pair of Bushnell's Legend 8 x 26 WP binocs and am very happy with them.  They are small and, so far, waterproof and fogproof even in heavy rain.

I have better and larger, but because they are larger and heavier they stay home, it seems.

14mm eye relief - which is great for me (eyeglasses).

For the price - outstanding.  Still under $80, I believe.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline David Bartholomew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2010, 07:14:00 PM »
6x32 of your choice.  I use the Eagle Optics Ranger Platinum for heavy / close-in areas.
WTCS(SW/DV)  USN Retired

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2010, 09:41:00 PM »
good ideas here, also look at the alpen line.
is it September yet??

Offline greg fields

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2010, 09:51:00 PM »
I 2nd the Leupold's.  I know a guy who has 3 pair and when I look out of them, I am impressed.

Offline Doug in MN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2010, 09:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ray Hammond:
I have a set of 6x30 Leupold Yosemites...they're 88 bucks all over the web.

The major determinates- good glass and the factor of the two lense numbers- 30 divided by 6- gives you the a factor of five- and that's about all the light your eye can take in ...

They won't work out west....but in a close creekbottom environment they're perfect. They meet your under 200 criteria by a wide margin- I think they're worth a look.
I agree 100%. They also are the single best deal out there.

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2010, 10:06:00 PM »
I bought a pair of the 8x30 Leupold Yosemites this year and I really like them also. Good light bios.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline CoilSpring

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2010, 10:17:00 PM »
For $200 or less ($88-100) I doubt seriously you can do much better than the (mentioned several times) Leupold Yosemite bino. My brother had the same cash as you and I talked him into them.  VERY clear/bright and WIDE angle, Light-weight, too, and compact for a porro-prism bino.  I bought German glass 8x32's costing much more several years ago, but these Yosemite binos compare very close! Get the 6x30's for bowhunting- they are all you need; trust me. Then use the other $ for a good (snap-removeable) thin neoprene bino strap and some broadheads/arrows.
CoilSpring

Offline Caleb the bow breaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2010, 10:42:00 PM »
well its looking like I need to really look at the Leupolds.  For what its worth I have a 50 dollar gift card to cabelas so that would make them really cheap.

C
Oh squeaky treestand, how I hate thee!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©