3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New Binos Need Advice  (Read 1123 times)

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New Binos Need Advice
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2010, 11:46:00 PM »
I too suggest the Yosimite's 6x30's... However, I will add that they work very well in the "West".. At least where I hunt Roosvelt Elk on the coast of WA state...  lots of dark timber, rain and not always much sun... they gather light very well.

Since getting mine a couple years ago [for $65 to my door thru the classifieds here on TG], my 8x42 Gold Rings Leuplods are spending alot more time in the truck or camp trailer.. The optics are very clear and they are light weight.. In speaking with Leupold [ located out here about 35 miles from where I live ] about new raincovers for my 8x42's, I was told during our conversation, that the Yosimites are also "Lifetime Warranteed" to the origional owner.   :readit:    :wavey:
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2010, 12:01:00 AM »
You can't go wrong with Nikon Monarchs.

Just my $0.02
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2010, 07:48:00 AM »
There is a site called "Optics4Birding" which you can google- it gives a very easily understood review of every pair of glasses out there- obviously not geared to 'bowhunting per se', but birders need most of the same things we do, including waterproof optics, which interestingly aren't even mentioned in this review of the Leupold Yosemite which I mentioned earlier.

If you're looking at all the great optics mentioned above, you can probably find a good review of them on this site to compare all the features.

Leupold Yosemite Binoculars

Review Highlights

Designed for kids but great first binocular for any age, including seniors
BaK-4 glass prisms, fully multi-coated for increased light transmission and brighter images
Waterproof, compact, very light weight and available in 6x or 8x models

Full Review

Yosemite binoculars are made by Leupold, a well-known American manufacturer that has made excellent and innovative scopes and binoculars for decades. The Yosemites were designed by a Leupold engineer who is a devoted birder, and wanted something suitable for use by his young daughter. As such, they are somewhat unique in the optics market today because they were designed first and foremost for kids. Yosemite binoculars are optimized for kids by being compact and lightweight, having a large focus knob that is easy to manipulate and being specifically made to fit smaller faces, though they will accommodate most adults as well. Additionally, Yosemites are very affordable at about $96 and $112 for the solid color 6x and 8x models respectively. Let us tell you more about why we really like these.

Size, Weight and Design

click image to enlarge
You might assume that such a binocular would be of cheaper quality but in that you would be much mistaken! Yosemite binoculars are made with high-quality BaK-4 glass prisms and are fully multi-coated for increased light transmission and brighter images. The binoculars are a porro prism design, and they are wider than they are long, measuring just 4.5 inches from front-to-back and 6¼ inches wide when fully extended. They fold down to just over 5 inches wide. This means they have a very broad interpupillary range (think of this as the distance between your eyes), and in particular, it is unusually small on the narrow end meaning it will easily fit smaller faces. The Yosemite 6x30 and 8x30 models weigh in on our postal scale at a feather-light weight of 17.0 and 18.5 ounces respectively.

Magnification and View

The 6x30 and 8x30 numbers provide important information about the binoculars. The 6x or 8x is the magnification or “power” provided by the binocular. The 30 refers to the diameter of the objective (big) lenses as measured in millimeters, which gives a rough estimate of how much light they will admit. The lower the magnification, the wider the field of view (the area encompassed within the circle one sees through the binocular). The 8x model offers a 393-foot field of view at 1000 yards, while the 6x version comes in at 420 feet. These properties have several important consequences especially for someone inexperienced with binoculars trying to aim them at something. First, if you can see more of the world around you at a glance, the chances are better that what you were looking for specifically is in view when you lift the binocular. Second, little hands may not hold a binocular as steadily, and a lower magnification reduces how much the image shakes, making it easier for children to see things clearly. The small 30-mm objective tubes or “barrels” are also easier for a child to hold steady.Lastly, the very low weight of these binoculars also helps make them easy to hold steady.
Focusing

The focusing knob is particularly large, and its rubber coating has raised ridges to provide additional purchase, making it easier for small fingers to use. The focus mechanism is pitched quite steeply: these binoculars go from minimum close focus to infinity in about 0.7 turns of the knob. Having less distance to travel to achieve reasonable focus is an advantage in a child’s hands. We measured the Yosemites as having a minimum close focus (the shortest distance at which an object can be sharply seen) of 13 feet. While this is not very close focus by modern binocular standards, the Yosemites have excellent depth of field which may be more important to the young Nature Watcher. Interestingly, the two models have rather different eye relief shown in the table below. The longer eye relief of the 6x Yosemite may be better for user who wear glasses.

Optical Performance

We noted fairly impressive performance in some of the other things we routinely check. Color fidelity was good with no readily discernible bias in color. The image was quite bright for a 30-mm objective, and image quality was excellent too. There was little or no color aberration in the center of the field, even on brightly lit objects. Even at the field edges, color fringing was minimal. The pin-cushioning (a tendency for straight edges to bow inward at the edge of the visual field) was very slight. This would all be pretty normal for a high-quality, expensive optic, but it’s rather impressive in one in this price bracket. Overall, optical performance of this binocular was excellent especially for a binocular of this price class.

Mag x Obj  Eye relief  Field of view  Close focus  Design  Weight  Dimensions

6x30  17 mm  420ft/1000 yds  16.4 ft  Porro  17.0 oz.  4.5" x 6.25"

8x30  14 mm  393 ft/1000 yds  16.4 ft  Porro  18.5 oz.  4.5" x 6.25"

User Adjustments

In the user-adjustable features, everything is simple and basic on the Yosemites. The diopter is adjusted with a twist ring on the right ocular. A raised ridge on the ring lines up with a white dot on the ocular tube to indicate the position for equal eyes, while plus and minus signs to either side indicate the direction of adjustment. The ring stiffly resists movement to help hold its place. The eyecups adjust between two positions with a helical counter-clockwise twist to raise them. There’s nothing fancy here, but it is all functional and practical.

Accessories and Colors

Typically, porro-prism binoculars aren’t sealed, so most are not waterproof, but Leupold claims the Yosemites are “absolutely waterproof” and warranties them as such. The rain guard is the same kind that we’ve seen again and again: a pair of soft rubber cups joined by a flexible bridge region. The strap threads through a complete bracket on the left side and a gapped one on the right, so that it can be readily detached and swung free if the user prefers that. The fit of the rainguard is tight enough that it is not readily dislodged even when inverted and shaken, but it goes on readily. In other words, it’s about perfect. The ocular lens caps are made of harder rubber and their fit isn’t as secure. These will dislodge easily and be lost in the field, so their primary function is limited to protecting the lenses when putting the binocular in its case. Had they been made out of the same rubber used in the rain guard, they might have been a bit more useful, but overall, it’s a very minor point. The strap is the usual inch-wide, padded leather and nylon cord affair. The strap fits into recessed lugs at the corners of the objective tubes where they won’t come into contact with the hands, a nice bit of design. In a binocular this light, the strap has little impact on user comfort, and if it’s an issue, there are plenty of comfortable straps and harnesses available. The rubber armoring is comfortable in the hands, providing a secure grip without adding too much weight, a nice compromise overall. Lastly, the case is a simple padded vinyl affair with enough room to easily house the optic, and a flap with a Velcro closure that adequately covers the binocular. The Yosemite 6x30 and 8x30 models are available in a broad array of colors as shown in the chart below.

Black Dark Earth Natural Mossy Oak Treestand Mossy Oak Pink Mossy Oak Blaze

Our Conclusions

Clearly Leupold made a decision to hold the cost down on minor design issues while providing better quality optics, and in this, they succeeded very well. Interestingly, while it’s clear that this binocular was designed with kids in mind, kids may not be the only users who will like it. The compact, lightweight design and the strong optical performance at this very low price give the Yosemites a broader appeal than they might otherwise have. This is a great first binocular for a beginning birder of any age. Incidentally, all the properties that make them ideal for kids or beginners also make them a great binocular for more elderly users. We wish we’d had starter binoculars this good when we first began looking at birds!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline macksdad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2010, 07:52:00 AM »
Caleb, I just got a set of nikon trailblazer ATB 10x42 for $149 from Cabelas, I love em I hunt here in southeast ohio and where the brush is pretty thick and they are great. I feel for the money they are a real good deal.
Hoyt Buffalo   #45@28,#50@28, #55 @28, #60@28
Hill Country Wildcat 52#@28
Hill Country Wildcat Static #57@31
Rick Welch Accuracy Factory

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2010, 08:01:00 AM »
Don't overlook the Nikon binos , got a pair for safety award at work a few years ago and they are great. I have the travel lite model and love them for tite work hog hutning or our eastern Whitetail woods.

Jack
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline Caleb the bow breaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2010, 09:41:00 AM »
Any thoughts on the Bushnell XLT's

C
Oh squeaky treestand, how I hate thee!

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2010, 10:47:00 AM »
Do yorself a favor and look at the Leupold 6x30 Yosimites. They can probably be found for 1/2 of your budget, click on to a search engine to get some customer reviews.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2010, 11:09:00 AM »
I have Leica and Zeiss brand, but I did not like either for down in the brush bottoms, so I tried the Yosemite. I think you would be well served with Ray's choice - the Leupold Yosemite, especially for the price.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2010, 11:19:00 AM »
Alright Yosemite it is.  You guys are a tough crowd.  LOL

C

Offline huntsfairchase

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2010, 01:00:00 PM »
Before buying new, might want to keep an eye in the classifieds? Backing up the above however, I've had a pair of Leupold Wind River 8x32's for 10 plus years and have absolutely zero complaints...
"Each one must find within his heart,
a quiet place where he may go.
To find himself and for a space,
drink deeply where still waters flow."

Online GRAYBEARD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2010, 01:07:00 PM »
If you hunt open country, go with 8x and up. Farm country, woods and brush, stay with 6x of your choice. Mine are Vortex and are incredibly bright and clear.
TGMM Family of the Bow; Make every heartbeat a party, the next one is not guaranteed!

Offline jfelkins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2010, 03:35:00 PM »
I got some Nikon Monarch 8 X 42's for Christmas. I love them. I think they are in the 200's
Chekmate TD Hunter II

Love many, trust few, row your own canoe!

Offline ShadeMt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2010, 03:42:00 PM »
I have the Nikon Monarch 10x42 ATBs and feel they are a good bino for the money.  Shop around and you can find them at reasonable prices in the 200's.

Offline Wile E. Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2010, 04:17:00 PM »
You will be hard pressed to find anything better than the Zen Ray Summits which sell for about 250 but compare with glasses 3x that amount. Do a search for reviews you will see how they compare to others mentioned here. Go for the 8x42's
Wayne LaBauve

"Learn to wish that everything should come to pass exactly as it does."

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2010, 04:45:00 PM »
Well i lied I guess.  Did a little more searching and wound up buying a closeout model of Minox glasses.  8x42 and on sale for 139.00.  I really think the Yosemites are great looking glasses but the Minox caught my eye and I hope that will be pleased with my decision.

C

Offline ammoeater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2010, 04:51:00 PM »
http://www.samplelist.com/Binoculars-C5.aspx

I've gotten some great deals over the past few years on rifle scopes and binos here.  Lots of demos and refurbs for good prices.

Offline Bishop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2010, 08:08:00 PM »
If you got the BVs they are verry good glass for the money, I have a pair that stays in the truck.

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2010, 08:30:00 PM »
try and find nikon monarch atb, they are best bang for buck! plus 25 year warrenty.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2010, 12:03:00 AM »
Just bought the Minox BV 10-42.  I'll let you know.........
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2010, 09:35:00 AM »
I got the BF which is the same as the BV just an all black version.  I would say that anyone in the market for glasses right now should at least check them out.  They are new glasses but a closeout model and discounted about 150 dollars.  30 year warranty to boot and everything thing I could find about Minox seemed to be outstanding.  If anybody is interested PM me and I can get you the website.

C

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©