3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: looking for input on recurves  (Read 424 times)

Offline fivebears

• Trad Bowhunter
looking for input on recurves
« on: December 27, 2010, 01:13:00 PM »
I've always shot longbows and now I've come to the point that I think I need to try a recurve.Who knows,maybe I'm really a recurve guy,but I won't know till I try.My moral delimma is spending alot of money on a bow ,then realizing I don't like it.I'm sure I'm not the only one who has had this problem so I'm kinda looking for others experiences.I've seen some bowyers have a test drive program which may be a viable option.One such bowyer,that a fellow 'ganger pointed out,is Strickland Archery.Does anyone,has anyone shot "the stick",and what is your opinion of it.Thanks for any input you can give me....Ken

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: looking for input on recurves
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 01:21:00 PM »
You can take a look at our website,if you see a style you like ,i would be glad to answer any questions you may have.Also it may help if you go through the sponsers list on Tradgang and take a look at some other bowyers websites.Good luck and take your time to study whats out there.

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 01:44:00 PM »
I think a test drive program will be your best bet.

Ive done it and it's a great way to see what suits you.
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 02:03:00 PM »
I went from recurves, tried a longbow, found out I'm not a longbow guy.  

Do you have a club nearby where you can try one just to see?  There are many, many grip styles with recurves and it would be a shame if you happened into the worst for your hand shape and it soured your whole opinion.

You could find something here in the classifieds for $100 that, if you don't like, you can sell for the same.  Bears of the mid to late 60's  have a pretty conservative grip.  Ben Pearsons are currently a good value.  Pick up a good Red Wing Hunter or a Browning Explorer and you might even find you don't need a custom.     ;)    I enjoy shooting them.  Simple tastes.     :archer:  

And it's never a bad thing to have a back-up or loaner if you choose to keep it.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 03:12:00 PM »
I'm a longbow shooter,started out shooting longbows and just prefer them.I have tried many very nice recurves I traded for.I've had Dale Dye,Black Widow,Blacktail,Wes Wallace,Robertson and Silvertip.All very nice but I still keep coming back to my longbows.You just need to try them out and see if you like them.A test drive is a good way or there are many good used recurves for sale.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 07:26:00 PM »
Good luck 5 bears. You know some of my thoughts.  Personally I would not recommend the road I've taken. I've bought more than 10 bows this year- most untried before I got em.  I'm going to lose at least a few hundred $ when I stop searching IF I can part with any of my experiments--thousands if I can't. But hey, I'm having a ball!

Offline OS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 08:09:00 PM »
I have to admit I like shooting both and do depending on how the mood strikes.  One of my favorite is the St. Joe River recurves.  They remind me of the old kodiaks as in bith the recuves and longbows share the same style grip.  They are very forgiving and smooth to shoot much like my longbows.
It's not the size of the game you take that means Success!
It's the experience of pursuing game that give true Outdoor Success!!!!!

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 08:14:00 PM »
I'm primarily a recurve guy.  The only longbows I like are those that are not really longbows...but "hybrids".  Even those, I don't like as much as most recurves.  The exception to the rule for me is the habu vyperkhan.  I love this bow.  I wish I could shoot traditional longbows, but I'm just not as good with the majority of them except the habu.  My favorite recurves are the old habu recurves, and Dakotas by Rick Welch.  I also really like silvertips.  Never had a chance to shoot a morrison, but I bet I would really like them as well.  The next recurve, I want to try is the Tall Tines.  Too many people have said too many good things about them to not warrent a "try out"!

Offline fivebears

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 06:35:00 AM »
I would like to try all the popular bows, but that could end up costing alot of money.Fun for me,not so much for my wife.Great info guys.

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 06:45:00 AM »
Come up to the Kalamazoo Trad Expo in January!!! You can shoot just about every popular bow out there.    ;)    The best way to find out what you like.
 Stop by the St. Joe River booth and say hi.   :wavey:
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 06:46:00 AM »
Originally posted by OS:
I have to admit I like shooting both and do depending on how the mood strikes.  One of my favorite is the St. Joe River recurves.  They remind me of the old Kodiaks as in both the recuves and longbows share the same style grip.  They are very forgiving and smooth to shoot much like my longbows.
:thumbsup:
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline Ralphie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 12:09:00 PM »
i would recommend an archery club. Most clubs have a cross section of members who shoot both recurve and longbow. Ordering a bow, then trying in out. seems to be a long process. At least find a shop hat has a selection you can look at and try.
Good luck.
Ralphie
Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 05:23:00 PM »
I would be willing to let you try my Chek-mate.  I have been shooting my longbow hybrid(opposite of you).  Besides wit over a foot of snow and cod temps I probably won't shoot regularly until I start my archery club at school in Feb.  Pm me if you are interested.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2010, 06:07:00 PM »
black widow will do a test drive.  Try a low grip.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©