3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dad or grandad's knife?????  (Read 832 times)

Online two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
Dad or grandad's knife?????
« on: December 27, 2010, 04:26:00 PM »
So who besides me still hunts regularly with dad or grandad's knife?

Here is a pic of my grandad's knife I got from my dad.  I believe it is a k-bar but all the lettering long since wore off.  

Post your pics!

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dad or grandad's knife?????
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 04:28:00 PM »
I still carry my granpa's pocket knife.
I was with a good buddy a few weeks back, when he shot a doe. He used his granpa's hunting knife to take care of his animal. My good friend is 78yrs. old! That knife is from the late 1800's!

chris <><

Offline portugeejn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 06:16:00 PM »
I used my grandpa's knife for a number of years, but it was time to pass it on, so I gave it to my nephew when he got married.

RonP

Offline traditional beagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 06:34:00 PM »
That is strange. I have my grandpa's knife. It is exactly like yours. If I didn't know it was in my gun cabinet I would have sworn you stole mine. The leather wrap handle is the same. Mine says Western,made in Boulder Co., Maybe K-bar and Western were tied in some how.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 06:35:00 PM »
I'm back after looking at your knife again. Dude ,the brass and the silver are exactly the same. Wish I could post a picture to show you.

Offline Craig Schoneberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 06:48:00 PM »
My dad passed away in October.  I put his old Buck and put it in the pocket of my quiver.  Field dressed my daughter's deer as well as my deer.  Kind of a good feeling just knowing it's there.
Craig
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member
Nebraska Bowhunters Association Life Member
Nebraska Traditional Archers Life Member
Traditional Archers of Nevada Founding Member
Colorado Traditional Archers Society

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 07:11:00 PM »
My dad collected Case knives. I have one of his prizes in it's glass box where he intended it be kept.  I only look at it.  I wish I had his everyday knife to use but I don't know where it ended up in 1996.

I do know where Dad ended up and I will join him and bask in that same light someday.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 07:31:00 PM »
I have very few items from my grand fathers, but I do happen to have one knife from each.  One is kind of a large, hand made by him, sort of hunting knife, but not what I would use as a hunting knife. It also has an ugly handle as far as my taste goes.  The other is a small bone handle two blade folder.  It has one small pen blade and a carving blade.  I keep it in a safe place.  I have lost a couple small pocket knives over the years so I can't carry it around.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 07:40:00 PM »
i beleive your knife, two4hooking, is a western knife. made in boulder colorado. my knife looks very similar only difference is the shape of the butt cover
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline Outwest

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 08:05:00 PM »
I have the same knife. It is a western.
Bought it 42 years ago.

John

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 08:09:00 PM »
outwest , wow your knife is older than i am, im 40. kinda makes me wonder hold my knife actually is. the way i understand it from a tg member on the knife makers forum is , western went out of business some 15 yrs ago. i never heard of them until my daughter bought me this knife in a second hand store for my birthday. ruddy
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2010, 09:13:00 PM »
Yep Broketooth, that is identical to the one my grandpa bought. The sheath is also the same with the artwork also. Don't know when he bought it but he passed away in 1970. Seem to be pretty good knifes. I've cleaned plenty of deer with it.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2010, 09:22:00 PM »
I use my father-in-laws that looks very similar to Broketooth's knife.

Offline CoilSpring

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2010, 10:42:00 PM »
Thanks for the memory...to my 2 brothers and sister's husband (last Christmas)...let's all pass one down...

Dear brother,

Our Granddaddy, J.E. Balch, used to carry several pocket knives.  They were all made in the USA and were hand-crafted by skilled craftsmen, not unlike himself.  

I remember two knives, specifically…favorites he usually carried.  One was a 3-blade BUCK Stockman, liked because of its extra-hardened steel (he proved it to me by cutting into a nail) and because it had that third extra blade that was always sharp.  

His other favorite knife was a 2-blade Case XX Trapper with yellow Delrin handle.  It was the full-size Trapper with clip and spey blades made from high-carbon steel.  I recall the clip blade was worn thin, much more than the spey, from his constant use and sharpening – he used it to help me skin possums my first trapping season (when I was twelve) and other critters the next few seasons.  I saw him use both knives many times;   opening feed sacks from the St. Jo’ feed crusher or cutting twine from hay bales as we fed cows in the winter.

Years later, he gave me the old yellow-handled Trapper – it was missing the “Case XX” plaque in the handle, and its blades had become rusted and loose.  I carried it for several hunting seasons, until about 10 years ago when I mailed it off to W.R. Case and Sons with a letter about Granddaddy – asking if they could repair it.  They sent it back with a new plaque, and new bolster and handle pins.  They also polished and sharpened the blades – at no cost.  That company, its craftsmen, and their product impressed me with their values, commitments to excellence, and a simple tool, but one with so much worth.  

I lost that Trapper a few years ago (and if you find it – I want it back!)…but more so, I value the memory of the great man who wore it out, while making memories for his grandsons and theirs.  

Enclosed is a 2-blade Case XX Mini-Trapper with yellow Delrin handle – at no cost – from Granddaddy Balch – it’s just like his, but scaled down for ease of use and handling.  I just wish he was still here to hand it to you.  My only request is that you CARRY this knife and USE IT… and when you do…remember him and his encouraging words...
”Now you’re come’n, son!” as you worked alongside him.  Cut, carve, slice, peel, and skin with it – you can even bring it to me dull, and I’ll sharpen it for life.  In other words, wear it out good and then some, and put it up.  Then, hand it down to one of your sons or grandsons to make memories for them, as well.

And as Granddaddy always prayed at meal time…”Pardon… Father, forgive us of our sins and accept our thanks, and save us for Christ’s sake.  Amen.”
CoilSpring

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2010, 07:39:00 PM »
I have that same knife Broketooth has. My grandpa gave it to my dad who gave it to me.

Offline ArkyBob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2010, 08:29:00 PM »
I carry my Dad's 2-blade Kabar folder that my uncle gave to him many years ago.  It was missing the side plates, (it was used but in good condition otherwise).  He made beautiful cherry plates for it and always kept it razor sharp.  He used it for many years and I can't tell you how many deer he skinned with it.  He passed away just over 2 years ago and it remains on of my most prized possessions.  I have used it on a couple of deer in the last 2 years and each time I can feel my Dad's presence.  If it's not in my pocket, it's in the safe.

BOB
"There are some that can live without wild things, and some that cannot."  -  Aldo Leopold

Offline First White Falcon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2010, 10:25:00 AM »
I'm a grandad and here is my knife!

Offline rascal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2010, 12:09:00 PM »
I still carry my grand dads Olsen fixed blade knife on every hunt.  I love the history and the connection I feel when I dress a deer with it.  I can sharpen it to a wicked sharp edge in no time compared to most of the new blades Ive handled and it keeps an edge.  I pick up those old olsen fixed blades and folders when ever I can I just love the steel.
Hunt fair, hunt hard, no regrets.

Offline Rogue Hammer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2010, 01:21:00 PM »
I carry a knife that my grandpa made some 30 odd years ago. But my dad recently gave a knife to my son that my grandpa regularly carried while hunting. So he has one from a great grandpa!
A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter has no gallery to applaud or disaprove of his conduct.    Aldo Leupold

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2010, 03:53:00 PM »

I was thinking of this thread yesterday when I dressed and butchered my first deer.  So I went upstairs first and pulled out my G-pa's old knife.  I had inherited it when he passed away a few years ago.  It was the one he taught me to gut fish with (he was more into fishing than hunting by the time I came around).  He always had it on it's belt, and the blade is a bit thinner for all the sharpening.

I'm not sure I'll use it every time, as I prefer the oldtimer he gave me as a kid for such things.  But it seemed right to use his knife on my first deer.  He was the one who took me into the woods as a kid, taught me how to fish, and taught me how to shoot.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©