3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Short 2 Piece TD -Advantage or Disadvantage?  (Read 514 times)

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Short 2 Piece TD -Advantage or Disadvantage?
« on: December 28, 2010, 01:01:00 PM »
I am quite interested in obtaining feedback with respect to 56” and under - two piece  take-downs vs. a single piece. Additional wt for stability is a desire for me however some two piece take-downs wt increase is negligible. Please provide the advantages and disadvantages, from your point of view, with respect to a 56” and under two piece take-down vs. a single piece. Your candid responses would be both quite welcomed and appreciated. Thank you.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Short 2 Piece TD -Advantage or Disadvantage?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 07:29:00 PM »
Would sincerely appreciate some feedback.
>>----> Friend <----<<

Offline Prairie Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 08:32:00 PM »
I have several bows made by maddog. One is a 2pce takedown w/ a bow bolt. The 2 pce shoots the same as my 1 piece bows. Nice to have if you travel to hunt. I had mike make this for my Africa hunt this summer. My bows are 51" and 52".
Maddog Bows (16)
Rocky Mnt Recurves(2)
Sierra Blanca Bows (2)
Mike B.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 08:39:00 PM »
Friend,
It appears you are asking about longbows and I don't have any experience with those bows. I do have 2, 56" TD recurves though (Checkmate and Bear Supreme).  I really like the Bear.

I like the TD because it is heavier than a 1-piece of the same length and material.

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 08:48:00 PM »
Trying to decide if you want the TC in a 2pc or 1pc I'd guess?

I don't have a 2pc that short, but my Big Jim Buffalo is 60" and a 2pc. I love it, and the only thing that differentiates it from a 1pc, is that it comes apart. Jim's carbon sleeve is very lightweight and doesn't add the weight that metal sleeves do. I love the versitility of the 2pc while retaining the feel and looks of a 1pc.
If Kip (Coaster500) doesn't chime in soon, you might want to PM him about his "Twins", he has two 2pc TC's.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Online BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 09:13:00 PM »
It is always going to be a matter of opinion. Some two piece designs leave a lot to be desired and I could see where it wouldn't be as nice as the same in a one piece. If you don't travel, then where is the advantage? Well, you must travel to the blind and back. Granted, I don't take my bows down every time that I get back to the truck, but I could and would if I routinely had extra riders. There is certainly an added expense for the two piece, but it is much cheaper to get it the first time than to wish you had gotten it.
I never build a one piece bow for myself anymore. I put a lot of time and money into building an atractive bow and then when all the gear is piled up, mine can be protected in a small case or in my suit case not in the middle of the heap. Just my .02.

getting BiggerJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 09:17:00 PM »
Friend I have owned several bows from different Bowyers 52" to 56"s … "ALL" of my current bows are 2pc ... before I ordered my 56" Thunder Child Twins from Jim I found a 60" Buff 2pc....The advantages are obvious for travel and with Jims system they function as well as any bow I have owned. I currently own three of Jims bows and another in the works. I sold all my one pc bows....the 2pc versions with this system are every bit as quiet, fast and smooth as there 1pc counter parts were....

I do believe that the takedown system Big Jim, Black Widow and Cari-Bow use is my favorite hands down….. When these bow are strung you would never know they were a 2pc and when they are shot you would never know they weren’t a 1pc  … I have also shot a 2pc PL Widow and l own a 2pc Cari-Bow Peregrine the system works the same on all.

The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 09:25:00 PM »
My Cari-Bow Peregrine ..... same system but this is a 64" bow...

The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline RLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 09:34:00 PM »
For a short two piece them bows Big Jim is making look sweet to me and handy !

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 09:40:00 PM »
I could not be more pleased with all the bows I have from Jim ... so much so I've got another in the works My 60" Buff is getting lonely  :)  

Buff or TC they are Shooters all of them !!!

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 09:42:00 PM »
Ohhhhh so nice to look at  :)

Offline thump

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 09:55:00 PM »
Not more pics of jims bows.My name should be comming up any day now. And I think one of the bows should be a two piece after reading these post.

Offline Gary Sorensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 11:32:00 PM »
Most of my bows are take-downs for ease of travel.  Earlier this year I got a new 56" Shrew Classic Hunter.  It is a 2-piece take-down that uses the bow bolt system that I think is fantastic.  It assembles with a 1/4 turn and fits together so perfectly that I is difficult to see that it is a 2-piece.  I see no down sides, only the upside of convience for travel.  By the way, I just love the Shrew.  I have a 32" draw and can't believe how smooth shooting and accurate this little bow is for me.  I have a couple of other top bows, but this has become my favorite.

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2010, 06:01:00 AM »
I also have 2 Shrews with bow-bolts. Can't see any drawbacks really. I am happy with both. Then Coaster comes along and sticks these beauties right in my face. The 3 bows I really want to try the most.2 Big Jim and Caribow. Wow! Alright who is going to be at Kazoo. Is there a list somewhere?
Tom

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2010, 07:36:00 AM »
Fellow Trad Gangers, you have come to my rescue and eased my mind. Yes, it is my dream TC of which I was referring. It is amazing after all the preplanning that I started to second guess myself. Big Jim has a great plan for me and I just needed to confirm my request.

A Take–down it shall be!!!

Much thanks to all.
>>----> Friend <----<<

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2010, 08:17:00 AM »
t/d stickbows are the way to go for air travel, i would never wanna deal with a 1pc of any length.  

imo, well made 2pc bows are every bit as good as a 1pc.  

really short stickbows (56" and under) are quite special by design.  lots will also depends on yer draw length.  

can't never go wrong with a big jim t/d bow!
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2010, 02:26:00 PM »
I concur with what the others are saying about Big Jim's 2-piece.  Here is my beautiful Juniper Thunder Child, 56" 56@28".  

As stated the weight isn't hardly any different from a standard one-piece. However, by adding my Big Jim quiver, which is also the cat's meow... it really tends to stabalize the bow arm.

Man, I just noticed in my own pics that I need to wax my bow string!  :rolleyes:  

"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Offline Gerardo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2010, 03:05:00 PM »
Nice bow , barry

Does big jim bows sure are tempting

I second for 2 pc td , mine being a 54 Treadway black swamp 56@28

I hunt a lot in ground blinds and they are the way to go

Excellent and same shooting as a 1 pc I really like the little weight on the riser i think the bow balances nicely
Gerardo Rodriguez

Offline PowDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2010, 04:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by Friend:
Fellow Trad Gangers, you have come to my rescue and eased my mind. Yes, it is my dream TC of which I was referring. It is amazing after all the preplanning that I started to second guess myself. Big Jim has a great plan for me and I just needed to confirm my request.

A Take–down it shall be!!!

Much thanks to all.
Good decision!!
Romans 8:28

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2010, 07:11:00 PM »
Buckster--that's a fine looking TC. That Jumiper is sweet.

I can't miss a chance to show a pic of my Buff. I just can't get enough of looking at Jim's bows. I'm on the list for a 2pc TC myself, Black Myrtle.
2pc is the only way to go.

"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©