3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Do you talk to them?  (Read 402 times)

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Do you talk to them?
« on: December 28, 2010, 02:02:00 PM »
In reading KentuckyTJ's post something occurred to me.  Am I the only person who, on walking up to the deer and preparing to field dress it, starts to talk to the deer?  First I say a prayer of thanksgiving, then, as I shed layers and lay out my field dressing and clean-up gear, I find myself talking to the deer.  Usually starting with an apology.  I guess I feel a bit guilty in with all those other emotions.

Years ago one of the older hunters in our group taught me to break off a hemlock twig and dip it in the blood.  Then a piece is slipped into the deer's mouth or just placed on the deer and the other piece is tucked in the brim of your hat.  A German hunter on a muzzleloading site told me this was called the "last bite" ( "Der letzte Biss") and still done in Europe.  

Also, anticipating the drag out, I eat a candy bar and take a swig of water.  One of the local deer and hide processers with Native American blood asked me if I ever gave anything to the deer when I did this ("Something of yours - the deer already had the trees").  That kind of struck me as odd, and aparantly it is along the same lines.  So now I shave a bit off the candy bar and offer it with a word of thanks to the deer's spirit.  Am I an Animist?  Nope.  Episcopal.  But it is true that poor deer died at my hands and, whether his spirit, The Great Spirit, God or just circumstance played a role it is a polite jesture if nothing else.

So, what say ye?  Any other kooks out there?
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Lin Rhea

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Do you talk to them?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 02:12:00 PM »
I dont have an outward visible ritual, but I seem to always apologise. As you say, a polite jesture. It bestows dignity on the animal. Lin
"We dont rent pigs." Augustus McCrae
ABS Master Bladesmith
TGMM Family of the Bow
Dwyer Dauntless longbow 50 @ 28
Ben Pearson recurve 50 @ 28
Tall Tines Recurve 47@28
McCullough Griffin longbow 43@28

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 02:13:00 PM »
I do it all the time, I also pry to them and the Great Spirit to show them the way. I also go as far to ask them to forgive Me for ending their Earthly Life.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 02:23:00 PM »
Excellent Charlie! I always say a prayer of thanks to God & the animal. Bottom line, I dig your respect for our animals.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 02:37:00 PM »
I sure talk to myself when I miss in not so nice words.Kip

Offline shortstroke 91

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 02:40:00 PM »
I don't think I've ever said an apology but I do always THANK the animal for what it's going to give me and mine.

I do always leave a bit of tobacco, something I learned many years ago.
shortstroke 91
TBOT Life Member

"BLOOD MAKES THE GRASS GROW"

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 02:51:00 PM »
It is good that you respect the life you have taken.  I always take a moment to stop and reflect on the life I took, to thank the creator for that life, and to feel the remorse that comes from killing such a beautiful creature.  True hunters know the thrill and sadness that come in their fair measure when a kill is made.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 03:02:00 PM »
I never apologize, but I say of word of thanks.

I was taught the "last bite" ritual while hunting in Namibia several years back. I have never done it to a whitetail, but it does seem appropriate.

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 03:04:00 PM »
I always say thanks and a word to whomever or whatever offered the deer that day. A pang of guilt, yes, but I'm a textbook co-dependent....
Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 03:15:00 PM »
I have been known to talk to them while they are still on the hoof.

I have had to apologize to deer(does mostly) for lying to them.

As they are approaching I am telling them they are safe because today I'm just buck hunting and will not shoot a does but at the last moment I let them know that I was not telling them the truth. Usually the arrow is already on it's way by the time that's happening.

I do thank them and God for allowing me to have such good meat to feed myself and in some cases a needy family or two.

God bless,Mudd

PS: I found that they seem to stay more relaxed if I'm not actively thinking or talking about killing them.
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 03:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mudd:
. .  . but at the last moment I let them know that I was not telling them the truth.
Treachery!  Treachery! . . . but you say it works?    :biglaugh:  

It's like a new Aesops Fable - the Mudd and the Doe.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 03:27:00 PM »
I just thank the Lord for the bounty He has provided...
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline Jim now in Kentucky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 03:31:00 PM »
I have always thanked God. If I thought the animal had a spirit that needed to be thanked, THERE'S NO WAY I'D SHOOT IT!

Really...
"Reparrows save arrows!"

"But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he that cometh to God must believe that he is and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him." Hebrews 11:6

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2010, 03:32:00 PM »
I'm not cold hearted but as man was given a soul with an eternal destination I thank God, not the deer, for allowing me to kill and enjoy the animal, which was made for God and man's enjoyment but not in the image of God with an eternal soul.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2010, 03:34:00 PM »
Mudd sounds like something out of Mark Twain to me.

My body language lies for me when deer approach. I do thank them, their Creator and the spirits that conspired, the wheels that meshed, or whatever it was that allowed me to bring home food from the woods. I am sad for a life that I have cut short, and grateful for my acceptance into the vast Web of the Universe. I have become one with it, as belonging and proper as any other creature out there, at that point.

What I do to express that is between me and God.
Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2010, 03:38:00 PM »
not me

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2010, 03:54:00 PM »
I say a prayer of thanks to the good Lord for the meat and successful hunt.  As far as the critter goes, I do recall saying a calming word or two every now and then, or maybe “there you are” or “you are going to be good eating”. I have said a few apologies now that I think of it, but only when I have had to dispatch something because it was not killed clean.  Something like “sorry I have to shoot you again, or ring your neck”.  Anything I do say is for my own benefit and me talking to myself the way I look at it.  The animal doesn’t here and if they do they don’t have a clue what I say.  I don't know if I should be more concerned that I talk to myself out loud or talk to dead animals.  :confused:
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2010, 03:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by ChristopherO:
I'm not cold hearted but as man was given a soul with an eternal destination I thank God, not the deer, for allowing me to kill and enjoy the animal, which was made for God and man's enjoyment but not in the image of God with an eternal soul.
X2
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2010, 04:06:00 PM »
I always thank them and just take a moment with my eyes closed to burn the memory in my mind. I also do something a bit different. I remove the heart and go to a soft place and bury the heart. I have done that since my great-grandfather helped me field dress my first deer 30 years ago.
Mike Davenport

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2010, 04:08:00 PM »
I also say a prayer to God to thank him for the blessed hunt and the guided shot.  I talk to the deer when they are coming in, I think I try to guide them.  Sometimes they listen, sometimes they don't.  

Not really the same, but I hold conversations with my horses.  They will tell you alot if you will watch them.

God Bless,
Nathan
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©