3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: wood arrows????/  (Read 191 times)

Offline 3Feathers

• Trad Bowhunter
wood arrows????/
« on: December 28, 2010, 05:34:00 PM »
Wondering if you can glue on the nock before
staining/??New at this.Stained a couple shafts with a dark leather dye and can,t tell the way the grain goes.Don,t want to put the nock on wrong.
HH Cheetah 66in. 48lb at 25in.
HH HalfBreed 66in. 57lb. at 27in.
HH Wesley Special  56lb. at 26in..
HH Big 5          64lb. at 28in.
HH Wesley Special 55lb. at 28in.
HH Redman         60lb. at 28in.
Simmmons sharks
2016 Legacys

Offline cedar

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: wood arrows????/
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 05:47:00 PM »
No reason why you couldn't nock first other than the fact that you would have to be more careful not to get stain on nock.  I like to stain the bare shaft to make sure I get it sealed good around where the base of the nock will be.  I mark the end of the shaft with magic marker where I want the nock to be located before I stain.  Then just place the nock according to my mark.

Offline bendbig

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 06:13:00 PM »
What John49 said, just use a marker. Has worked for me for a long time.
Glenn
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Associate

Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me, Gen 27:3

Offline RAU

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 06:20:00 PM »
I dont cut my nock tapers till I stain and seal, then i cut the tapers and im looking at bare wood and its real easy to see the end grain.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 10:37:00 PM »
When I make wood arrows,I'll cut a little V-notch at the point end for putting on the nock at the proper orientation.A V-notch will be there until I'm ready to cut and do the point taper.I used to mark it with a marker but that would sometimes disappear with the stain.

Offline Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 10:39:00 PM »
I mark them with my fingernail at the top of the taper (on the shaft body) before dipping.  The little groove shows up even with the thickness of the paint.  Then I just line up the nock index with the little groove.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 11:16:00 PM »
You can glue the nocks on anytime. If you can't see the grain after staining it generally will show up after the first dip. I always mark mine with a sharpie anyway.

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 08:05:00 AM »
Since going to wood a couple of months ago I buy my shafts from Hildebrand already cut to length and tapered. I install the points and nocks and simply use painters tape over them then go ahead  stain and finish.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 10:53:00 PM »
There is more than one way to skin a cat and the same goes with making arrows.  I glue the nocks on after the finish, but doing it before will work, too.  You could probably sand a spot down on the point end to find the grain or re-cut the taper just a bit to find it.

Oil base stains will bring out the rift grain in a shaft, whereas the dyes seem to color everything the same.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©