3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thinking seriously about getting into bow hunting... (Newb Thread)  (Read 507 times)

Offline amadeus76

• Trad Bowhunter
My apologies if a similar thread has been posted before...

I have been giving serious thought to getting into bow hunting. Tho I have experience rifle hunting, It's something I have no experience in. This has been something that has been on my mind for about a year or so and I've always dismissed the idea but as it keeps coming back I'm giving in. I don't know why, maybe it's the basic-ness of it all, but I've been drawn to traditional bows and hunting over compound bows. Because I am/will be just starting out I am looking to begin with a relatively inexpensive bow. For this reason I've been looking at PSE as they start around $200 for either the Sequoia or Mustang. Now my question boils down to 2 things...

1) Is PSE a good company to go with for someone just starting out?

2) For someone who is just starting out, what would be better, a longbow or a recurve?

Beyond that anyone who has experience with either the Sequoia or Mustang bows or any other advice for a newb like me, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Offline sam barrett

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thinking seriously about getting into bow hunting... (Newb Thread)
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 10:00:00 PM »
Michael, since you'll be new to the bow and arrow you'll probably want to make sure you keep the draw weight to around 45lbs.  Trad bows don't have letoff so it's harder holding at full draw than a compound.  I shoot 70lb compounds, but only 45-48lb longbows and recurves.  I can't say anything about the PSE bows because I havn't shot one.  Martin makes pretty nice bows for a good price.  Also, there are several nice used bows for sale on this site that would fit into your budget.  You'll hear this from many others on here too, but maybe try and go to a trad shoot and try some bows before you buy, if possible?  Lastly, a recurve and a hybrid longbow will be somewhat similar shooting wise and one shouldn't be that much harder to shoot than the other.  Good luck.

Offline TSHOOTER

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 10:07:00 PM »
I can't speak to the quality of PSE traditional bows.  They are imported from China if that makes a difference.  I shoot recurves and longbows equally poorly   :D  so I think that is a personal preferance.  I would order a Maddog Mutt longbow from Mike at Maddog archery or if you want a recurve you can probably pick up a nice used Bear grizzly on various sites in your price range.  I think you would be better served with either of these bows than the PSE but thats just my opinion.  I would suggest you not go over 50lb @ 28" on your first bow and work on form.  45 lb would be even better.  Good luck and have fun.  Shooting traditional is a blast.
He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son does not have life.  (1 John 5:12)

PBS
TGMM Family of the Bow
P&Y
Comptons

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 10:28:00 PM »
PSE is made in Taiwan. I have one of their low end bows KingFisher. If I was you, I would find every Archery shop around and look for Archery Shoots to try as many bows as You can.

The reason for this is, You may want a recurve but find out You'll shoot better with a long bow.

I Agree with getting a bow around 45#

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 10:47:00 PM »
First off...WELCOME!
I don't have any experience with those bows..sorry.

I'd look into Maddog bows as well.
Here's a link to his site   http://www.maddogarchery.com/
Personally I'd REALLY like to own one of his midsized longbows.
He makes midsized and "full"sized longbows and recurves. His prices are right and the bowyer Mike Mecredy is one of the good guys.

Also there are numerous good deals on good bows in the classifieds.

Picking a trad bow is a very personal choice.
Chances are you won't find THE bow the first time around...it's sorta like dating.

A longer bow is generally more forgiving whether it's a longbow or a recurve.
I also recommend the around 45# bow unless you are way more, or less,  strong than the average person.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline JAG

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 10:53:00 PM »
Maddog!
Mike is an excellent man to deal with, and honest to boot!
IBEP - Chairman Alabama
"May The Good Lord Keep Your Bow Arm Strong and Your Heart and Arrows True!"
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Regular Member
Compton Member

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 11:01:00 PM »
We all know we can kill more deer quicker & easier w/guns; but, the Hunt is where its at. The combination of adventure & skill make trad as full scale a sensory rush as it gets...for us. Hope you the same. You;re welcome here. Bunch of good folks waiting to help.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 11:08:00 PM »
I'll third Mike at Maddog, lots of bang for the buck and a great man to deal with.
The classifieds here are also a great source .......

Good Hunting!!!

:campfire:
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 11:10:00 PM »
I just ordered another Mutt from Mike, but this time for my self.

Do a search on this site for the various bows that guys mention on here.

Here are a few that I looked at for my step son before settling on the Samick Sage.

Samick Red Stag
Samick Deer Master

Lancaster Archery sells the Samick's.

Good luck,

Paul
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 11:13:00 PM »
get with the program.  your life will be over as you knew it
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline TKO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 11:25:00 PM »
With bow season just about over for this year, you have plenty of time to find a bow. I would visit a local trad shoot event and chances are good you'll be able to shoot several different bow types. That will give you a good idea what feels the best for you. I will also tell you, whoever said to stick with a bow around 45# is right on the money. I'm fairly new to trad archery and I'm shooting a 70# recurve. I hadn't found this site yet and severely over bowed myself. I'm currently looking for a cheap 45-50 pounder.

I'll also tell you Mike at Maddog is the man to deal with. I've ordered my 6 year old son a Maddog pup and if I had any spare cash I wouldn't hesitate to order myself a Maddog from Mike.
7 “But ask the animals, and they will teach you, or the birds in the sky, and they will tell you;
8 or speak to the earth, and it will teach you, or let the fish in the sea inform you.
9 Which of all these does not know that the hand of the LORD has done this?
10 In his hand is the life of every creature and the breath of all mankind.
Job 12:7-10

Wild Horse Creek Kestrel #44@28

Offline huntsfairchase

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 11:53:00 PM »
You've been given some good advice here my friend. Going to some traditional shoots is a great place to start. Shoot some different bows, or you'll spend the rest of your time chasing your tail, so to speak! Shoot a few and find one that "fits" you. Best of luck, and WELCOME to the best thing that could happen to a Bowhunter!!!
"Each one must find within his heart,
a quiet place where he may go.
To find himself and for a space,
drink deeply where still waters flow."

Offline camoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 11:55:00 PM »
I had a PSE Impala Takedown Recurve I bought on a whim about 6 years ago. It wasn't an expensive or fancy bow, but it was good enough quality and shot well. They do make a good low end bow. To me the recurve handles seem to feel more natural to me over a straight handled longbow, but it is a matter of preference. One thing to keep in mind about bowhunting as opposed to rifle hunting, expect to have to practice to be proficient. You can't just pick up your bow the day before you go hunt and expect to hit anything. Practicing with a bow can be alot of fun and can be done at home. And killing something is alot more satisfying to me if done with a bow. Good luck and welcome, Bowhunter!
US Army Staff Sergeant
1984-1990
2004-Present
Kosovo - 2005
Iraq - 2008
Afghanistan - Soon

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2010, 12:30:00 AM »
Welcome to Tradgang,you can learn alot from the folks here.Tradtional archery is a wonderful sport.The personal accomplishments are huge.

Offline wildwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2010, 04:53:00 AM »
another vote for Maddog archery
delivered by grace

Offline maxplan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2010, 05:54:00 AM »
Michael: Great decision.  I bought my first compound in 1983 and within a month bought an older used Bear recurve. I've never "gotten over it" and have been shooting traditional gear since. I personally would not but a PSE trad bow. They make excellent compounds and that's their specialty. I'd go with a Martin or Bear or Maddog (per the others recoommendations) at no more than 45#. A Martin Savannah or a Bear Montana are great longbows you will love. Both companys make recurves and either bow style would work as long as you stay 45#  or less for the first 6 mos -1yr as you work oon form and skill. Next, be sure to get with an experienced friend or new friend who is seasoned and get coaching. There will be many things yoou will need to learn. Don't turn back, stick with it and your life will be enriched more than you realize. The friends here are the best and they will help you in any way possible. Go for it!
Ed G.

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2010, 06:32:00 AM »
Thinkin dont get nothing done,jump in and see just how much fun you can have
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline StJoePTP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2010, 08:04:00 AM »
I would go with a Samick Red Stag. They make a couple different bows that would fall right at or under 200 that are great shooting bows. If you realize you dont want to do it you arent out 600-800$$$

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2010, 08:07:00 AM »
Don't fight it the voices will not go away.

Welcome from Kentucky.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2010, 08:09:00 AM »
Originally posted by amadeus76:
My apologies if a similar thread has been posted before...

I have been giving serious thought to getting into bow hunting. Tho I have experience rifle hunting, It's something I have no experience in. This has been something that has been on my mind for about a year or so and I've always dismissed the idea but as it keeps coming back I'm giving in. I don't know why, maybe it's the basic-ness of it all, but I've been drawn to traditional bows and hunting over compound bows. Because I am/will be just starting out I am looking to begin with a relatively inexpensive bow. For this reason I've been looking at PSE as they start around $200 for either the Sequoia or Mustang. Now my question boils down to 2 things...

1) Is PSE a good company to go with for someone just starting out?

2) For someone who is just starting out, what would be better, a longbow or a recurve?

Beyond that anyone who has experience with either the Sequoia or Mustang bows or any other advice for a newb like me, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
welcome to trad.

click on the 'new to trad archery?' link in my signature line below.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©