3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Pending Rotator Cuff Surgery  (Read 798 times)

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
Pending Rotator Cuff Surgery
« on: December 28, 2010, 10:42:00 PM »
Well folks, the time has come for me to get this shoulder fixed. I have spent the last month sleeping in my recliner because it is to painful to sleep in bed. When I sleep in bed, I can't help it and end up on the shoulder.....then I am awake and the shoulder hurts like a toothache for the next couple of hours and I can't get back to sleep.

I've already had an MRI, my general practitioner says that I have a supraspinatus tendon tear and has referred me to an orthopedic surgeon this coming Thursday. I have a hunch that there might be a spur or two present also......we'll see. I will know more after consulting with him, but I am sure that it will require surgery at this point. I have been fighting with this for several years and it has progressively gotten worse. Today, I got together with my shooting buddy and I couldn't shoot.......to much pain to concentrate on anything but the "hurt" and my form was all messed up. Drawing elbow was to high......and I just gave up trying.

I'm not gonna put it off, I will have the surgery just as soon as I can get it scheduled, if that is what is recommended. I can and WILL be shooting again before Comptons in June, you can bet your last dollar on that. I have plenty of time to get through the physical therapy and be able to shoot comfortably and hopefully "well" again. I don't really know "why" I felt the need to tell ya'll this, because I know several of you have already been here and done this.....perhaps I am just having a hard time "accepting" the fact that I'm gonna have to just "look" at all those purdy bows on my rack, and not be able to shoot them.   :dunno:  

In time.......this too, shall pass. I know and believe that.......I just don't know what the heck I'm gonna do to keep myself busy. Lord knows, I need all the practice that I can get.

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pending Rotator Cuff Surgery
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 10:44:00 PM »
God Bless 'Ya.  Do your physical therapy and give it enough time to heal up.

Best of luck and a good outcome!    :thumbsup:
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Kevin Winkler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 10:51:00 PM »
Don,
Good luck with the surgery. I know you will be a good boy and recover quickly. I'll be watching for you at Compton's!
PBS Associate, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Life Member, WI Traditional Archers
Life Member, WI Bowhunters Association

Offline Doug in MN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 10:56:00 PM »
Best of luck to you Don. May you heal quickly!!

Offline JAG

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 10:59:00 PM »
You'll be in my prayers.
Remember do just what the Dr. tells you to do.  No more, no less.  Do the exercises everyday.
DO WHAT THE DR. SAYS!
Have avoided surgery so far, but I had to do exactly what the Dr. said to do.  Its comming, but he said if I do what the Dr. says, I can put it off for a few years. (heck I'm almost 60, whats a litle more pain?)  I know what you mean about sleeping in a recliner, been there done that.
Do what the Dr. says.
JAG/Johnny
IBEP - Chairman Alabama
"May The Good Lord Keep Your Bow Arm Strong and Your Heart and Arrows True!"
TGMM Family of the Bow
PBS Regular Member
Compton Member

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 11:00:00 PM »
A friend that is a pro hunter and shoots trad had that surgery and he was back to shooting within a couple of months.
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 11:04:00 PM »
I feel your pain Brother, I'm shooting but a lots less weight?

You will be back with your attitude...take your time and don't force the healing  :)
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 11:12:00 PM »
I've had both of mine worked on...Right side was bad, as Deltiod detatched and had to be re-attached to post in my shoulder joint...that one took about 8 months until all was well... Left side was easier as it was just a torn rotor cuff... healed very quickly... As others have suggested, do as your Dr and therapist advise.. you'll wonder why you waited so long to have it fixed.  :wavey:
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 11:19:00 PM »
I had both done too...............do all the physio and follow advice-you will be back in (almost) no time.

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2010, 12:00:00 AM »
Wishing you successful surgery and a quick, full recovery Don.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2010, 05:21:00 AM »
I'm not looking foward to it myself. I have to get a torn bicep reatached and the cuff done. "It's over Johnny"

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2010, 06:33:00 AM »
Lay in some arrowmaking supplies, and pens and paint. You can hand-draw the targets that you will be shooting your first pain-free arrows at.

Best of luck, may all go smoothly and put you back on the course, better than ever!
Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline stringstretcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2010, 06:35:00 AM »
Good luck on your surgery.  DON'T PUSH IT. Do what the doctors say, and you will be as good as new in no time.  This will give you time to get plenty of arrows done.  Prayers sent.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2010, 07:01:00 AM »
Good luck and a speedy recovery! Better now than later sleepless nights can lead to a lot more problems. Prayers sent.

Keeping the Faith!
Magnus
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline Pops

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2010, 07:43:00 AM »
Don, Good Luck... you and I will be in great shape
for Comptons. If we can't shoot maybe we can
set up a day care for us older archers   :campfire:

Offline uglyjake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2010, 07:54:00 AM »
I wish you the best.  I have been having pain in my left elbow and shoulder too.  I am in the Air Force and we do lots of push-ups.  I went to the Dr. and they told me I can not do any more push-ups of little over 20 pounds for the next 2 months.  I hope everything goes great for you am maybe we will both be cleared to go Turkey hunting next Spring.

Offline bad arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2010, 07:59:00 AM »
Like others have said...don't push it. Docs told me no work for 6wks. Surgeons think they're soo smart, they don't know me, I felt fine. So I went back to work a week after my medical stuff. BIG mistake. What a boob I was! Good luck....Phil

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2010, 08:07:00 AM »
Don,good luck for your surgery.I'll pray for a quick recovery.Keep us posted bro.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2010, 08:37:00 AM »
Be brave...my thoughts are with you.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2010, 08:55:00 AM »
Buy an old 30# target bow and make some light arrows so when you are well into rehab you can do some shooting at least.  I started back from torn elbow tendon surgery with my grandsons' 20# Bear Little Bear bow and worked up to a 30# Browning Nomad II and then to full hunting weights.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©