3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Pending Rotator Cuff Surgery  (Read 796 times)

Offline Blueridge

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pending Rotator Cuff Surgery
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2010, 09:15:00 AM »
Had both shoulders cut on a few years ago. I had spurs and bad tears in both.  Just take your time with your therapy and don't push it. Very painful after surgery for a month or two  but you will be as good as new in 3-4 months. I was able to draw my 67# Widow about 3 months after.  
God bless
Isaiah 1:18-20 Come now let us reason together, says the Lord.

Online Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2010, 09:54:00 AM »
Don,
 Best of luck with the "new shoulder" and like others have said take it easy and slowly and maybe all those pretty bows will get a work out before you know it.
 Take care, Buddy.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2010, 09:57:00 AM »
The Saturday before last Thanksgiving (2010) I spent the night at the ER, in horrible shoulder pain that was brought on by shooting a new-to-me 72# longbow, when I usually shoot around 62#.  An MRI later told the doc that it was tendonitis and a mild deep tear somewhere (I forgot where exactly).  

I feel your pain, literally.  It was 3 weeks before I could sleep more than 3-4 hours at a time, and upon waking up, the pain gnawed away at me for at least 2 hours.  It really ruined the last week of my vacation -- I was in Alaska for 2 weeks, and I didn't get to hunt at all!  The arm still really hurts if I roll over on it while sleeping.  

Good luck, and I hope you get to feeling better soon.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2010, 10:04:00 AM »
Been there, done that.  This is definitely a good time of year to get it done, if all goes well, shooting by Compton is a real doable goal. You won't regret getting it done.  Getting rid of the constant, nagging pain is worth all the temporary pain experienced from the surgery.  I fought mine for a long time,  no sleep, and eating ibufrofin like it was candy. Good luck with your recovery.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2010, 10:17:00 AM »
Good luck Hawk - prayers for a speedy recovery. Good time of yr to get it done and get it outta the way.

Jason
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline wixwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2010, 10:17:00 AM »
Reading your story was a flash back for me. A couple of years back I went through an identical set of circumstances, left shoulder, spurs, tear. As others have said, do exactly what your doctor and therapist say. Take your time and once you get the go to pick up the bow, start light and gradually work up. My surgery was in Jan. and I was hunting that fall with a lighter bow than previous years but still hunted. I was a full year + getting to 100%. Be patient and you will have a brand new shoulder. I found that my ordeal was a blessing to my form. By starting light and working back my form is now the best it has ever been. Good luck!!          sw
Fort Collins Archery Association
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
NRA Life Member

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2010, 10:43:00 AM »
Don i've had more surgures than I can count,follow your doctors advice do you physical therapy and don't rush things youll be fine good luck Larry.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline PICKNGRIN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2010, 10:45:00 AM »
Hope all goes well for you as you get healed up!  You picked a good time of year to do this.  You should be good to go come hunting season.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2010, 11:25:00 AM »
Hate to hear it Don, but from a friends outside perspective being able to sleep with my beautiful wife would be better than shooting a beautiful bow...Hahaha couldn't pass that one up.

Seriously hope you get back on track soon as I enjoyed shooting with you at Comptons last year. Hopefully we will both be there again in 2011.

Keep me informed on your progress.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Horner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2010, 11:39:00 AM »
I hate this for you Don, it was hard for me to see yesterday.  We will build some arrows while you are down.  Ya can never have to many........

Glad you are going to get it taken care of, so you can be pain free.
What would you attempt to do, if you knew you could not fail?

Never leave the one you love, for the one you like.

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2010, 01:20:00 PM »
Thank-You.......EVERYONE for the well-wishes and prayers. I'm a stubborn old coot and ain't about to give up the one thing that I get so much enjoyment out of. I'll get there, and will report back tomorrow after talking to the Doc.

I happen to have a 30# @ 28" bow available (it's my niece's) and will do what I have to do to get myself back to "normal"......whatever that is. I know that this IS indeed the BEST time of the year, if there is one, to get this taken care of. I have a lot of time, to be able to work myself back up to my normal bow weights, which aren't that high to begin with. The one thing that I won't be able to do is miss work, but I have a very understanding boss and I will be able to do most everything within my jobs scope of practice, except compressions and intubations until I get healed up. I'm NOT helpless, but feel very limited with it right now.

TJ, I agree with YOU whole-heartedly !!!! It STINKS having to sleep in a dang chair.

I knew that a lot of ya'll had already been through this and am very thankful for the support. DANG......I turned 50 and started falling apart, but I have to admit.......the alternative is worse.

You know.......in all seriousness, the thing that I am gonna miss the MOST during my recovery is NOT being able to shoot with you Bryan. We've solved a lot of "world problems" in our weekly shooting sessions over the past year or so.

Don't worry folks......I'll be "Back in the Saddle" before ya know it. I'm to stubborn, not to be.

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline Andy Cooper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2010, 01:39:00 PM »
Good luck, Don! I got over mine sans surgery, but wasn't s'posed to shoot any bows over 50#. I didn't for several years, but shot a dozen arrows out of a 62# Dye recurve yesterday, and everything feels fine. Hope it stays that way, since Sixby is building me a 70#'er!

I've decided to get stronger as I get older. After all, I'm only a 1956 model! Hang in there, you'll be fine!!
:campfire:       TGMM Family of the Bow       :archer:      

My Father's bow rack is the sky.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2010, 05:46:00 PM »
Winterhawk,
It sounds like you've considered all the alternatives and this is the one for you.  I'm glad to read of so many people here who have gone through similar with good results!

Two years ago, almost exactlly I was trying to convert from compounds to recurve. I hurt my shoulder, I'm pretty sure carrying lumber for a DIY home project not shooting recurves. The doc said a tendon in the drawing shoulder was 50% severed--just the point where surgery or rehab are equal choices. I went with the rehab (self at home).  After 7 months of not shooting and doing band exercises to strengthen muscles that support the rotator cuff the pain simply disappeared around August 1, 2009. I hunted that year with my compound. I started over with the recurves in December 2009.

It sounds like your issues are more serious because my shoulder merely hurt without interrupting my sleep much.

The best to you.

Offline Lamey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2010, 05:53:00 PM »
Don, wishing you a fast and strong recovery!!

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2010, 06:27:00 PM »
Don I will be praying for a quick and complete recovery!

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline guspup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2010, 08:04:00 PM »
Welcome to our exclusive club.
Had mine repaired on the last day of ski season, and was ready for the 1st day of bow season this year. Takes a bit of recovery. Pain wasn't bad, but it takes a bunch of PT to get your full motion back. Shooting only 45# this fall, but it got the job done :-).
You'll be glad you had it done. Best of luck!

Online David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2010, 08:16:00 PM »
It's a long road back with a shoulder, but well worth the trip.
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2010, 12:46:00 PM »
Hang in there Don.  I am doing some recovery myself this winter. Sounds like you are ready to tackle this.    Use the time to catch up on other stuff.  You will be in better shape come nice weather, and you should be good to go by fall.  That's my plan.  Prayer and well wishes on the way!
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Downwind Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2010, 01:02:00 PM »
Don, I pitched baseball until my late 20's and messed my shoulder up pretty good - torn labrum, torn rotator cuff, spurs and a few other goodies.

I've had two surgeries to correct - and my advice is
1) Follow your doctor's advice  
2) Listen to your PT (he/she will be your best friend for awhile!!!)
3) BE PATIENT....you'll get there but don't forget to use common sense and
4) Stay positive - it'll be tough but it'll serve you well. It definitely becomes a mental battle.

I'm back and stronger than ever - at least as far as shooting goes. My throwing is limited to tossing the ball with my Goldens!!!!

I will say I don't miss HAVING to sleep in the recliner one bit....

Best of luck to you. You'll be happy you did it when it's over.

Offline horsehairhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2010, 01:06:00 PM »
Winterhawk-  Have you looked into a good sport massage therapist to add to your (hopefully) fast recovery?  I had rotator cuff problems 2 years ago, did the P.T. thing and still had pain.  Started seing a massage therapist and am totally pain free.  For me it was the best thing I have done for the shoulder....

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©