3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Pending Rotator Cuff Surgery  (Read 797 times)

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pending Rotator Cuff Surgery
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2010, 01:27:00 PM »
Don,

I had my right shoulder (I am right handed) done 5 years ago after incurring numerous sports related injuries to both shoulders over the years. I waited too long, and all the looseness in my shoulder joint caused additional damage, especially the level 3 arthritis that really cannot ever be fixed. I had a crushed A/C joint, torn labrum, torn rotator cuff, torn bicep tendon, and level 3 arthritis. Still, my surgeon was able to do all the surgery arthroscopically. Remember that the skill of the surgeon is the single biggest factor in the future of your shoulder, so pick very carefully. Joint surgery (especially to a shallow joint like the shoulder) never gets rid of all the problems, but it does make things much better and helps prevent additional damage from the injury in the joint that keeps it from functioning as it is designed to work. Get the surgery as quickly as possible and then be aggressive in the physical therapy within the limits prescribed by your doctor and your physical therapist. Don't set time limits on your recovery. You may not be ready to shoot your normal weight bows as soon as you would like, but remember that you are in this for the long haul, not just to be able to shoot at Compton's next year. Some good news for you is that one of the best things I have done to strengthen my shoulders is shooting a bow. The main thing is to shoot regularly (preferably daily) but not to excess in either draw weight or repetition. You will eventually be able to build the weight up to about where it would have been without the injuries, but that takes a long time. I always say that any significant surgery, takes at least two years to get back to as good as you I still hurt on occasions if I sleep wrong on my shoulder, but nothing like the pain I had before the surgery. Best wishes.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2010, 02:42:00 PM »
Don:

Sounds like the right decision and the right time.

Do what the PT folks say and do not push it.  They have done hundreds of these and this is your first.  My experience with PT folks is that you should let them know what your goals are and then discuss what your time frame might be.

You can do it.  I'll be thinking of you....
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2010, 03:07:00 PM »
Don, get in there, get it fixed, and get yourself mended. Looking forward to meeting you and shooting with you at Compton's. If you need to store any of those beautiful bows at my place so you don't accidentally pick one up....  :thumbsup:
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2010, 04:00:00 PM »
Don just buck up and get er done!  I went in with the same diagnosis 2 years ago, but knew better because pain started after flipping a 4 Wheeler coming out of a steep holler with a deer on it. Kept the 4 wheeler from crushing me, but tore something in my shoulder, MRI came out like yours. Went in expecting 2--4 week recover, on Mar 31, woke up with extensive tear about 6 inches, had to clean it up, put a cable throgh my arm and shoulder to hold everything togehter while it grew back. Surgeon said it was worst one he had worked on, would be off till August 20 or so. Pyhsical therapist is a buddy of mine, seemed to agree. I did exactly what they told me to, when they suggested I exercise it 2-3 times a day, I did 6, drank lots of water, took vitamins, and by mid June was back at work, and shooting #50 recurve! I had to sleep sitting up in the corner of the couch for 8 weeks, with sling/pillow on all the time. It is  hard to put up with, but the outcome is worth it. I, like you was in agony for months.
samuel koger

Offline Andy Cooper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2010, 04:58:00 PM »
Prayers for ya, Don! Remember, you still have that bowstring I sent you that needs wearing out!!
:campfire:       TGMM Family of the Bow       :archer:      

My Father's bow rack is the sky.

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2010, 08:52:00 PM »
Well..........I had my appointment with the orthopaedic Dr. this afternoon and here's the scoop.

I have a "partial tear" in my supraspinatus tendon. It isn't an elongated or the kind of tear that he thinks will get worse. He told me that typically this kind of a tear will heal on its own about 98% of the time. The tendon is really.........and he said REALLY inflamed. He asked if I had ever had a cortisone shot into the shoulder. I told him that a little over a year ago, I had one and it really seemed to help the problem........BUT.......that I had another one a little over a month ago and it didn't do a thing for the pain. He asked me "where" the Dr. had inserted the needle and I told and showed him (from the top of the shoulder down into the joint).

He said that the insertion point wasn't his choice of locations to get the steroid to the problem area and he would like to give me another one........and then for me to call them back in a week and if I couldn't do everything that I had previously done without pain and wasn't back to sleeping in my bed "pain free" that we would have to explore the surgery route. He also said at my age, and being as healthy as I was that "IF" surgery was necessary that he would recommend the arthroscopic method to fix the problem.

That was good news all the way around for me, and he told me to take it easy on the shoulder for the next 5 days and then the last two, to just do anything that I normally do in my everyday life. We'll see.......and I guess this is one of those times in your life where "time" truly will tell. He also recommended a couple exercises to help keep the joint loose and said that an orthopaedic massage wouldn't hurt anything either.......just to increase circulation and healing around the injury.

I'm very pleased that he even "thinks" that there might be a chance of returning to my normal routine without any surgery. Most Docs in todays day and age need to make that next Lexus payment and are all to eager to get out the knife and cut away. He is the same surgeon that done my knee in 1995 and then again in 2005 and I haven't had any trouble with it at all.

I'll keep ya'll posted on how the next week goes and hopefully (keep your fingers crossed and say a prayer or two) there will be some arrows flying downrange soon.

Thank-YOU all again.........for the well wishes and prayers. They are very much appreciated.

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline Cookus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2010, 09:13:00 PM »
Good luck!
West Virginia Bowhunters Association
PBS Associate Member

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2010, 09:14:00 PM »
Sounds like good news Don.Hopefully the shot and some messauge takes care of it.Best of luck to you!
Bill

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2010, 09:21:00 PM »
I am so very happy with the outcome of your visit.

Yours is an answer to prayers and for that I give thanks!

Congratulations!!

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Geo S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2010, 09:50:00 PM »
That sounds like good news. Good luck.

Offline landman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2010, 09:53:00 PM »
Don,

I took a headfirst fall down two long flights of stairs about 4 years ago and my right shoulder was ripped and torn pretty badly.   I was in intense pain most of the time and went through a series of cortisone injections, deep into the joints and muscles.   My doc grew tired of that and recommended a treatment or procedure for repairing the torn spurs, tendons and muscle that is called PRP.  

PRP is a a relative new, non-surgical approach that sports med docs use to repair athletes and it cured me completely.   Simply stated, it involves taking approximately 60 cc of your blood, spinning it down in a centrifuge to separate the stem cells and re-injecting your own stem cells back into the affected area with the assistance of a computer generated and managed sonogram.

My treatment required 3 separate procedures, all done on an out patient basis and I was awake, just lying on my good side while I  watched the entire show on the computer.    There is a bit of discomfort but it's no worse than the cortisone injections.   There was some swelling from the injections and the reintroduction of the stem cells, but all of that is short lived and minimal.   Take a couple of Advil and you'll hardly know it.

Here's the good part:   I didn't have to go through PT and there was really no pain, just discomfort from the injections.   Not a big deal really and it's over quickly.    I didn't take time away from work and grew stronger and more pain free each day.  

Before the procedure I couldn't raise my right arm, much less draw any kind of bow and now I can climb tree stands, shoot 55+ lb bows with no problem, cast my fly rod and paddle my kayaks, too.

The down side:   My insurance didn't cover it and total cost was around $5-6,000.00 total.    My first two treatments occurred about 3 months apart, I grew pain free and stronger between each and the final treatment was done to take care of a couple of little hot spots that were missed during the first two procedures.

You might want to think about PRP and discuss it with your doc.   There is a lot of info on the WWW about it and if you need a reference to a doc, you can PM me and I'll get you hooked up.  

Regardless of what you do, get a second or third opinion.   Anything you can do to avoid surgery...and it sounds like you might be a great candidate for PRP...is worth it.    Good luck.

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2011, 03:14:00 PM »
Well.......time for an update. I have given everything except the PRP a try on this shoulder. The physical therapy, the massage therapy......and the cortisone shots. It is as good as it's gonna be without surgery, I'm not going to be able to avoid the surgery and it is scheduled for day after tomorrow (Feb. 17th). It will be outpatient surgery and I will be back home the same day.

The Dr. told me that he really wouldn't know exactly what had to be done until he "gets in there", which is understandable. The x-rays and MRI's won't show everything that is going on. Hopefully it won't be anything "to bad" and I'll be back to bending the limbs before you know it. I will follow the Dr's instructions and do all the physical therapy.......so wish me luck and if you happen to think about it, please include me in your prayers.

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline daniel boon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2011, 03:31:00 PM »
good luck and speedy recovery

Offline Pops

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2011, 03:34:00 PM »
Don, Good Luck you will be in my prayers
   :pray:

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2011, 03:44:00 PM »
Prayers sent for a speedy recovery! Best of luck.

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2011, 03:53:00 PM »
All the best to you Don!

See ya at Compton and hopefully you will be recovered and ready to shoot some of my bows and I can shoot a few of yours.

You'll be back and better than ever I am confident.Good luck with the rehab.

Shoot straight!

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2011, 04:01:00 PM »
Don,really good luck,you'll be on my prayers.
I am sure to see you back to your Blacktails
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline GO Rogers

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2011, 04:56:00 PM »
Well pray a Rosary for you♥
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. TGMM ♥

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2011, 05:29:00 PM »
Good Luck Don and I will pray for you a speedy recovery.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline Cookus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2011, 06:02:00 PM »
Good luck Don.   You're in my prayers!   T-a-k-e your time and listen to the therapist... You'll be back in plenty of time to practice before our season starts in October!
West Virginia Bowhunters Association
PBS Associate Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©