3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Pending Rotator Cuff Surgery  (Read 799 times)

Offline Rebel Yelp

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pending Rotator Cuff Surgery
« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2011, 06:30:00 PM »
I tore my rotator cuff in half in a skiing accident years ago. Take the therapy seriously.

What really helped me was swimming. I started swimming toward the end of my therapy. I highly recommend it. You won't aggravate your surgery and it will help your strength and range of motion tremendously. If you can, try to find a pool at a local gym or YMCA that you can join for a few months.

Hang in there bud... you're going to be better than ever!

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2011, 06:36:00 PM »
Thanks everybody !!!

Dixie Bowman,

Someone else suggested the same thing (swimming) and unfortunately I don't know how to swim a lick. Seriously, I just never did learn to swim, it most likely had something to do with having a mother that didn't know how to swim either and was scared to death of water.

I WILL, most definately take the therapy serious as I want to be back to shooting my bows as soon as possible. I have one bow that is only 30# and another that I have a 40# set of limbs for, so I won't have to start out heavy.

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline David Bartholomew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2011, 06:50:00 PM »
Don,

Prior to surgery, ask/verify how the surgeon is going to “numb” the area up.   I personally don’t care for the “blocks”.  See if he’ll give you options.

Second point... and I am being very serious:  Ask the doctor or surgery crew folks who’s responsible for manipulating your arm (and yes, the wrist is attached) while you’re under.  (Manipulating the arm will be need in order to allow you surgeon access to the damaged soft tissue and subsequent repair.)  

The reason I say that is I don’t want you to come out of surgery with a very bad wrist sprain (due to over stressed ligaments).  Yup, you don't want to wake up with more concerns than when you started.
WTCS(SW/DV)  USN Retired

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2011, 09:10:00 PM »
The other note I'd chime in would be to push the surgeon hard to clearly articulate to YOU the fine line between pain and damage post surgery.

There are things you just should NOT do for a period of time or risk ripping out their work.

After that, it hurts like blazes, when you do the range-of-motion stuff, but find out that line between discomfort (pain) and damage!

They made sure I knew and I was months ahead of what they predicted.

Was cut 8/27 and shooting hunting weight bow by Oct 20th.  It wasn't pleasant, but it was worth it!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©