3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: climbing treestand safety advise  (Read 474 times)

Offline KHALVERSON

• Trad Bowhunter
climbing treestand safety advise
« on: December 29, 2010, 07:16:00 AM »
i havent used a climber since the baker widowmakers  in the mid eightys
anyhow i purchased a climber with x-mas money
and am looking to see how you guys and gals are rigging for safety
are you attaching to the tree with your harness and sliding up as you go or using a line  with a prussic or similar knot and going that route
im mostly looking for the pros and cons of each system
i already done a search and got some great info
 thanks
kevin

Offline greg fields

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: climbing treestand safety advise
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 07:36:00 AM »
I only attach my safety belt once I climb up the tree.  i know its not the safest method, but I look at it as its better than doing/wearing nothing...  If I change my ways, I'd attach and slide the belt up with me as I climb.

Online PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 07:39:00 AM »
Safety vest only for me, I climb up and then attach immediatley before anything else happens. Its quick and easy, and as far as Im concerned safe and responsible. I still know plenty that dont even use harnesses yet, thats just silly.

Offline StJoePTP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 07:41:00 AM »
I have a Hunters safety System that I attach when I reach my desired height. I have been using a Summit climber for 12+ years and never had one once that felt like it was going to slide down the tree. It takes too long to use a sliding style harness while climbing with a climber.

Offline michbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 07:47:00 AM »
I've got a harness with a longer lanyard and a carabiner at the end...just wrap it around the tree and hook it back to itself.  This way it is real easy to slide up the tree as I go, and if you fall it will tighten right up.  As far as I know, this is the only way to go!

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 08:07:00 AM »
Hook up at the bottom before you start to climb. It only takes a few second to fall and it only takes few seconds to move it while you climb. Be safe
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 08:32:00 AM »
I use the supplied rope that goes around the tree with a safety hook that attaches to my harness. Not sure what it`s called, but you adjust it and slide it up. Climb a stroke, and adjust it again. At no time am I NOT tethered to the tree. With practice, it can be done very quietly.

Climbing into position is something that should be done slowly and quietly anyway. As you climb, you can survey the area and find the best height for shot clearance.

I`m kind of shocked to hear of anyone waiting until they are done climbing to get hooked to the tree. It really doesn`t take anything extra to advance the rope as you go up. PLUS, it keeps you going slow and quiet.

I have always stalked my way into position, and climbed as quietly as possible. I have gotten to my desired height and had deer within sight immediately, many times through the years.  

I have a few fixed position stands that I still use. When using those, there is a rope tied above the stand that comes down to ground level that uses the same slip knot and hook system to prevent a fall to the ground if something were to happen when getting into them.

I have heard that most accidents happen while getting in or out of stands. Just a bit more effort can prevent tragedy.

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 08:42:00 AM »
Ditto hook up at the bottom-- why take any chance whatsoever--the stand can slip while you're climbing if the circumstances are right (or wrong!). I use the prussic knotted rope that came with the stand--easy to slide it up as you go. And know that there's a learning curve with climbing stands. The first couple of climbs will feel unnatural and shaky, but after a few you will scoot right up and it's ultra-solid when it's all in place.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 08:48:00 AM »
I wear my harness and attach at the ground sliding the belt up as I climb up and down.  Too risky not to.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline fivebears

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2010, 09:00:00 AM »
Seems the older I get the more safety concious I become.I used to wait until I reached my desired height before hooking up my safety harness,but this year I began to hookup at the bottom of the tree and slide the harness as I climb.Takes very little time and eliminates all the "what if" scenarios.

Offline longarrow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2010, 09:03:00 AM »
body Harness and the prussic knot,you can look forever and not come up with a better, safer, lighter, easy to carry, cost effective rig.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Live a Good Life! And in the end, it's not the number of years in your life...it's the LIFE in your years!!!

Offline BamaBarebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2010, 10:35:00 AM »
Originally posted by StJoePTP:
I have a Hunters safety System that I attach when I reach my desired height. I have been using a Summit climber for 12+ years and never had one once that felt like it was going to slide down the tree. It takes too long to use a sliding style harness while climbing with a climber.
x2..
Bama Bows Hunter 53lbs @ 28”
Genesis 27:3

Offline Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2010, 10:50:00 AM »
I have a shoulder harness and attach once in place.  As I am getting no more nimble (and the last time I climbed out of my stand this year my bare hands were clubs) I have been considering the better "understrap" harness and a ascending/descending line and clip.

But I don't use a climber stand.  Mine are fixed.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline bluegrassbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2010, 11:20:00 AM »
Safety harness with the prussic knot,sliding it up the tree as I go..I stay hooked to the tree till both my feet are touching the ground...

I've seen more people get hurt stepping the last couple of feet off the platform backwards when they are climb down.This is were you let your guard down & think your home free...stay attached to the tree till you get solid ground under your feet..
"Life,Liberty & the pursue of deer & turkeys."

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2010, 11:50:00 AM »
Bonebuster has it right. Everyone that is hooking up after climbing should reread his post. Safety cannot be over done. Two people in my area were killed this season falling from treestands. Hook up BEFORE climbing please!

I want to add that I fell while climbing in 2009. A bolt broke on my seat climber. I fell backward  and my harness caught me. Probably saved me from broken bones or worse.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2010, 01:47:00 PM »
The original poster asked specifically how to hook up on the ground and climb with a climber.  The prussic knot and a long rope would not work in that situation.  I use that rig in a ladder stand or any tree stand I leave out and up in a tree for a period of time.

The only thing I've found that works with a climber is to hook to a sliding belt or a rope looped around tree with a carabiner and keep sliding it up as you go.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2010, 01:55:00 PM »
I have only used climbers.  I attach at the ground and go through the slow sliding up as I go.  I use a Hunters Safety System vest but have used the harnesses that come with most climbers as well.  It's not too loud.  It is slow.

I know quite a few guys who only attach at the top but I have read several times that most falls occur on the way up or down.

I will take going up and down slow vs. going down much too fast.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2010, 03:26:00 PM »
Takes a lot less time to climb while attached then it does to heal, hire someone to wipe your butt for you, or have a spouse plan a funeral.

Offline Hogcoots

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2010, 03:45:00 PM »
Another that hooks up at the base of the tree with my harness and slide it up as I go. I have fallen once many years ago and am lucky enough  that I walked away with just a couple of bruises and one deep scar on my upper thigh.  There is absolutely no reason to not be connected to the tree.  You gain nothing by not hooking up at the base of the tree and risk losing everything if you don't.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2010, 03:58:00 PM »
I climb with the safety harness on & around tree, then I strap the stand to the tree for more safety.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©