3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: climbing treestand safety advise  (Read 475 times)

Offline Flatshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: climbing treestand safety advise
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2010, 05:22:00 PM »
Bluegrassbowhunter has it right! HSS vest with prusik rope. Hook vest into the rope, slide the knot as you climb. Once you reach your desired height you are already secured to the tree. Nearly impossible to fall!

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2010, 06:00:00 PM »
But Flatshooter, how do you use that with a climber?  How do you get your rope up in the tree to slide the knot up on as you go if you are in a climber on the ground?  Please tell us your method.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2010, 08:46:00 PM »
Someone please explain to me how you use a safety line and prusic know when using a  climber.

You can't use it with out first climbing the tree, unless I'm missing something here. Which unless you can fly it's not happening.

Jack
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2010, 08:47:00 PM »
oops Didn't read reddogge's post , he asked the same question I did.
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2010, 08:55:00 PM »
The seat O yer pants full body harness is what I use. attach before I start climbing and as I move up I move my attachment up. I spent this whole yr on the ground so no worries.

Sure it has been said but I urge all yall to be attached from the time you start to climb to the time you step back onto the ground. Your families will be thankfull. Coming from a career fire rescue dude the one thing I ALWAYS heara victim say "I thought stuff like this happened to other people" or something to that nature. If they say anything at all.
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2010, 08:58:00 PM »
You could tie a safety line to the climber!!!!!!!!!!! YEAH if the climber goes you go too! LOL - kiddin yall!
I have to do all that crazy rope riggin in training. I do use a line if I have a hang on but that is OT.

J

Friend was injured in a tree stand accident yrs ago and his whole set gave way - straight to the bottom of the tree. liken to have killed him. I would almos think that at some points the climber will stay in the tree and youll go.?
Always be stubborn.

Offline bluegrassbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2010, 09:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by reddogge:
But Flatshooter, how do you use that with a climber?  How do you get your rope up in the tree to slide the knot up on as you go if you are in a climber on the ground?  Please tell us your method.
I'll take some picts tomorrow....kinda hard to explain in words..just have to show ya...it's not the same system you use with a ladder stand or lock on..
"Life,Liberty & the pursue of deer & turkeys."

Offline bluegrassbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2010, 09:15:00 PM »
See if this works for ya....this is exactly how I do it with a prussic knot & rope around the tree....

"Life,Liberty & the pursue of deer & turkeys."

Offline primitivealltheway

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2010, 09:54:00 PM »
all above is great advice ,with a climber ,be sure you have the stand at the bottom of the tree at an angle,not straight,also be sure you have them both connected with a rope or some thick string ,my oldest brother had a new ol man some years ago and we were in the backyard and he was going up and down to get a feel for things,he put the stand at the bottom of the tree straight,he got up about 15-20 feet and set down and the bottom part slid down the tree ,he also forgot to connect the top and bottom together!i had to run and find a ladder long enough to get him down!! ..be careful..
"nothing like being in the woods with a stick and string"

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2010, 10:03:00 PM »
loop it around the tree and slid it up as You climb. Once You get to where You want to be, You just leave it there and slid the knot up and down the rope as You climb..

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2010, 10:36:00 PM »
I got ya blue grass, that is what I use as well -- works great. Totally different from what I use on my lock on.

J
Always be stubborn.

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2010, 10:59:00 PM »
Kevin, let me know when you get ready to practice with your stand. I need to check out these safety tips too.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2011, 11:34:00 AM »
Thank YOU bluegrassbowhunter.  That explains a lot and it is much simpler that my system of loostening a belt and moving it up and down the tree and retightening.  I will proceed to make me one immediately.

I had seen this sysem once but forgot about it.

One more question, how do those who use hang ons and climbing sticks attach on the ground?  Do you use the linemans' belt or the same prussic knot?
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline TC in Spfld

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2011, 06:07:00 PM »
I use the SOP system which enables me to use the short line and prussic knot as a lineman's belt  to put in screw in steps and hang a stand.  Once the stand is in place I drop a 30' line with a prussic knot to the ground.  From this point forth I'm hooked up going up and coming down.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©