3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Advice needed from successful hunters  (Read 741 times)

Offline bad arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
Advice needed from successful hunters
« on: December 29, 2010, 08:28:00 AM »
I've only recently started deer hunting again after a 17 yr. layoff. and is my first year traditionally. Anyway, I pretty much have these deer pinpointed in my woods. Had a doe come walking toward me and to my left. My heart starts a heavy beat when I first see her. She gets about twenty yards and is walking closer and I decide to raise my bow, "I'm gonna get a shot!" I think to myself. My hearts gotta be at 150 bpm and I seriously don't know if I can can make the shot its beating so hard. Well, since I had to backtrack finding my blind when I went in earlier, she stopped right where I had walked in, turned and walked back the way she came in, so no shot. I haven't felt that kind of exitement in a long time. Any tips you experienced guys out there could give me in controlling ones excitement when about to shoot? Deep breathe? Zen? Yoga?....Phil

Offline KHALVERSON

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Advice needed from successful hunters
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 08:33:00 AM »
thats what its about
what a rush
i try to use deep breaths and to focus on the spot i want the arrow to enter

Online Cocklebur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 08:35:00 AM »
I take a couple deep breaths and try to slow down and concentrate on a spot and making the shot.

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 08:36:00 AM »
Seems as though when you realize it's time to shoot that the adrenalin kicks in....very normal. Do nothing but focus on the spot you want to hit. I find the more I concentrate on where the arrow needs to go the better the shot even if I'm shaking like a leaf! You've just experienced the best drug in the world....welcome!

Offline bad arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 08:37:00 AM »
BTW, I've killed deer before with guns and wheels and have experienced the heartbeat thing before, but my Lord, its a bit different feeling getting ready to shoot while on the ground with a longbow and homemade arrow, huh?!

Offline bad arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 08:42:00 AM »
Come to think of it, all I was thinking is what a small target she made as a whole. I wasn't even thinking "pick a spot". I need to make myself do that....Phil

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 08:52:00 AM »
Imagine what it was like for primitive man...where what he did, meant food for his family or empty bellies.

The difference between your wheel bow, and your longbow, is the wheels tell you when you are at full draw, and the sights get you on target.

Your longbow is at full draw when YOU say it is, and when you are on target it is because YOU are doing the alignment.

When a shot opportunity arrives, you simply rely on your confidence gained through practice.

Do NOT allow any worries of a miss or a bad hit into your mind. Be confident.

A shot opportunity is when an animal is within your effective range, is at a good angle to get both lungs, and is unaware of your presence.

After a 17 year layoff, you came back with a longbow because you wanted "more" out if it right? If it`s "more" you wanted...it`s "MORE" you got!!!  :thumbsup:

Offline Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 08:57:00 AM »
The more time you spend with the deer the less that initial rush effects you.  So spend more time at it.  

I still get that rush the first deer I have in range each year.  It's s good thing.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 08:58:00 AM »
Breathing is important! I think a lot of guys start to breath real shallow or even hold their breath when the target animal is at hand.
That starts to deprive the brain of oxygen and that don't help nothin'.

Learn to focus on the spot you want the arrow to go and only that (while you are watching the animals body language, searching the cover for the best spot to shoot to, and in general having a heart attack.
   :D
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2010, 09:10:00 AM »
I not sure I get it that bad but it maybe that I learned to control it before I started hunting. The feeling kind of reminds me of speaking in public, and I deal with buck fever the same way. Like the others have said you must maintain your normal breathing pattern. This part is hard to explain and probably where familiarity with the situation comes into play. You have to will your body into acting in a deliberate manner. If you focus your body will stop shaking, your breathing will normalize, and you will move at a cautioos pace. If you have a method to beat public speaking anxiety it may help you here.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2010, 09:17:00 AM »
Phil, Enjoy the adrenaline surge. I would like to address the other issue you stated of how aiming at a deer seems like such a small target. This is something I experienced also when switching over from wheelie bow to trad. What has helped me is not always shooting at a big flat target while practicing. I have found shooting at one of the deer size and shaped targets without a spot on it has helped me tremendously. It also helps you focus on a smaller spot rather than aiming at the whole deer at the moment of truth.

If you will practice like this the adrenaline rush may subside some as you will have more confidence with the potential shot on a deer.

Good luck to you brother and enjoy it as long as you can.

TJ
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2010, 09:17:00 AM »
I always imagine that the deer is naked!   :D
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2010, 09:19:00 AM »
Hahaha oh my, that will sidetrack this thread for sure Charlie.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2010, 09:20:00 AM »
I had a HUGE black bear come in once, and I THOUGHT I was pretty calm. My heart was okay, and I was thinking clear. When I tried to stand up, my legs shook so bad that I could not stand to turn. I tried several times and failed. I was laughing at myself that I had no control over my own legs. He lumbered off, all I could do was smile.
David M. Conroy

Offline Pepper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2010, 09:21:00 AM »
When you loose that feeling, take up bowling.
Seriously, I get that way each and every time.
Can't think of many things I would trade for it.
Archery is a family sport, enjoy it with your family.

Offline Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2010, 09:23:00 AM »
I always imagine that the deer is naked  
:biglaugh:    :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:  

My Sensi taught us to clear our minds - "Miso no Kokora" or something like that.  Literally "mind of bee paste".  Imagine smoothing a piece of wax before writing on it with a stylus pen.  Or a stormy sea that calms to mirror smooth.

It truly is a mental game and you have to get your mind right.

BUT DON'T STARE AND DON'T MAKE EYE CONTACT!
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2010, 09:24:00 AM »
I always thought of those moments as the beginnings of "buck fever" and yes it can happen even with does..lol

I did something that almost anyone would call extreme( by any standards) to help me get "through it", not over it. I seriously doubt I'll ever get "over it"

I used my nephew as an excuse to go to the St. Louis zoo. I found the deer enclosure and got as close to them as was allowed and spent all of my time right there while the wife and nephew enjoyed the rest of what the zoo had to offer.

Just learning to be in close proximity to them without shaking or hyperventilating was enough to let me finally take my 1st deer with a bow that same fall.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2010, 09:27:00 AM »
Read KentuckyTJ's previous post and take it to heart.
The more lifelike the target you can practice on the better you'll shoot on the real thing.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline stikbowshooter

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2010, 09:32:00 AM »
To me it is all about picking the spot and never taking my eyes off of it.

Offline bad arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2010, 09:37:00 AM »
Good ideas ya'll. TJ, its funny because when I first saw her, my second thought was "her body makes a smaller target than the hay bale!" Time to get or make some life sized targets... without a bullseye!....Phil

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©