3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Advice needed from successful hunters  (Read 739 times)

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Advice needed from successful hunters
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2010, 09:49:00 AM »
What I try to do is take a couple deep breathes then focus on your spot.  Try not to look at the whole animal and pretend that you're shooting the 3-d in the backyard and concentrate on form and release.   This helps take your mind off what's going on and take s you to a comfortable and familiar place.  However in certain situations.  I have forgotten to do this myself and sent an arrow between a bucks antlers.  But, if I didn't get so excited(even with does) I wouldn't want to do it.

Offline BamaBarebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2010, 09:55:00 AM »
Originally posted by Charlie Lamb:
I always imagine that the deer is naked!     :D  
You stole my line! Lol
Bama Bows Hunter 53lbs @ 28”
Genesis 27:3

Offline Onehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2010, 09:55:00 AM »
First I begin getting into position as soon as I decide I am going for a shot. You don't need the added pressure of trying to pull that off at close range. I then only watch the deer with my peripheral vision. No starring and as the deer gets in range I only focus on the spot.

Offline TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2010, 12:23:00 PM »
I don't mind the shaking so much, but trying to keep the arrow on the shelf is hard. I feel like an epileptic off the drugs. How can a deer NOT see the arrow bouncing up and down like a bird leaving a branch. I love it. When I was younger, I had a doe trot by, I shook so hard that I had to put my bow down and hold on to a tree because I was shaking so bad. I was on the ground too, it wouldn't have been a long fall. Welcome to the sport.
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Offline bro-n-arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2010, 01:09:00 PM »
Hold your breath, pinch your cheeks together,close your eyes, count to 100, then it will be all over.
Psalm 71:18 Now also when I am old and gray-headed,O God, do not forsake me,Until I declare your strength to this generation.

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2010, 05:57:00 PM »
I stay really calm until I make the shot,then its racing heartbeat kneeshakin,fast breathing.What a wonderful feeling
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Littlejake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2010, 06:44:00 PM »
I just tell myself..it's just a deer..
Try and be the person your dog thinks you are...
PBS Regular Member

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2010, 06:56:00 PM »
X2 KentuckyTJ's. One other thing on size, pick that spot and dont think about size the center of a golf ball is the same size as the center of a basket ball
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline Benjy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2010, 07:11:00 PM »
I usually just think to myself "Now, how are you gonna mess this up" and laugh to myself.

I think I will try Charlies way the next time!  :laughing:
TGMM Family of the Bow
ZIPPER NITRO 64" LONGBOW 50#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   60" RECURVE 52#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   64" LONGBOW 71#@29"

Online Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2010, 07:20:00 PM »
X3 Kentucky TJ's.I never shoot bullseyes,I force myself to create an imaginary one.Like Pepper said if the "doe fever" goes away take up a new sport.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2010, 07:31:00 PM »
Charlie  that was funny !  

I think the closer you let them get , the harder your heart beats.  That is part of the game.

You can, and will overcome it. . .  eventually.  Enjoy it while you can.  It is awesome and tells you that you are human (really human, not a person that sends their animals elsewhere to be butchered so you can eat the meat but not feel fettered with the kill.)   It is what we are. .  that's all.
ChuckC

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2010, 07:33:00 PM »
I really focus on picking a spot burn it into your minds eye. you got to focus! you can shoot all the 3-d you want but you cant get the rush from a foam filled buck!once you learn to shoot the rest is in your head you gotta keep your self calm you only have to keep yourself together for a few moments in most cases.the more animals you get in front of you the better it will get,but hope it never goes away.good luck an no matter what never give up make it happen do it the trad way

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2010, 07:52:00 PM »
I pretend I'm in the basement on my range visuallizing perfect shots - piece of cake -- it doesn't work all the time though!

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2010, 08:02:00 PM »
I personally find the longer I watch the deer the calmer I get.I get very shaky if it comes in fast and I get a shot fast.I'd rather I had no rush whatsoever.I'd rather be a calm killer than a shaky wounder.I like well placed shots,short blood trails and hero pics...not sleepless nights and wounds.But that's just me.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline chanumpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2010, 08:05:00 PM »
A wise old archer told me to drill a hole in the animal where you are going to shoot, it and that always has helped me and I remembered that.And block out looking at the horns of course when the big guy comes in.Easier said than done,and I still can get caught on that one.The heart beating fast is a good thing.The breathing is important and will help alott.Best of luck!

Offline jfelkins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2010, 08:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by Charlie Lamb:
I always imagine that the deer is naked!    :D  
Too funny, I guess the alternative is a clothed deer? I can see deer wearing tacky sweaters during the holidays!

I always tell my son to focus on one tiny spot: aim small miss small. As for me, I freak out!
Chekmate TD Hunter II

Love many, trust few, row your own canoe!

Offline OS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2010, 09:30:00 PM »
I joined in with a outdoor video production company here in Michigan and have spent a lot of time behind the camera and I believe somthing another video producer once said is when you spend more time with deer in front of you the easier to get through to the shot.  Now after that I go to jellow!!! I enjoy the sight of watching them walk in, I've already gone through every shooting possibility in my mind waiting for them to show up in the first place.  As things start to fall into place I focus on the little spont I want that arrow to end up and focus just on that until the string slips from my fingers.  THEN my heart does mock 12 (I love that part)
It's not the size of the game you take that means Success!
It's the experience of pursuing game that give true Outdoor Success!!!!!

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2010, 09:36:00 PM »
ain't it great...

Ok after you decide to shot this animal only look at the spot you intend to slip the arrow through.. do not look at the animal as a whole just the 'spot' and keep breathing... you will have plenty of time to shake after the shot...
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline bad arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2010, 09:43:00 PM »
I'm gettin' nervous again just thinking about it.  Just breathe... pick a spot... 911! 911! Naw, I'll be alright  :cool: ....Phil

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2010, 09:43:00 PM »
I put my ex wifes face right on the vitals....makes me concentrate harder...   :eek:    :nono:
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©