3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shoulders  (Read 330 times)

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shoulders
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2011, 12:52:00 PM »
Jeff,
May be hard to do, but it is the off season right now so why not get to the bottom of what is wrong now ?

Take two full weeks off shooting or any other thing you are doing that would involve the shoulder as much as you can. Take as much Aleve as you can take according to instructions, drink plenty of water, 8-9 hrs sleep, and ICE three times a day for 30 minutes. The most important of all this is the Aleve and ICE. I was in terrible pain for a year and finally went to my PT friend. He chewed me out real good and made me promise to do EXCACTLY what I just told you or he would not help me again, only refer me to a surgeon once I finished wrecking my shoulder !

I had severe bicep tendonitis. The bicep and shoulder tendons lay side by side in the joint area and once they become inflammed it is very hard to get them to heal and get the inflammation totally out. This is what the ICE and Aleve do together. The rest keeps the inflammed tendons from feeding on themselves. The more you rub those swollen, inflammed tendons together the worse they get exponentially. The just get bigger and bigger forcing them together even more.

Long story short, after one week of ICE, Aleve and total resting of the joint I was amazed at how much better I was. Make sure you get a good large ice bag and move it around every 10 minutes or so to get all around the joint. As I got back into shooting if I felt pain again I would ICE for a few days and take an extra day off shooting to rest and recover the joint. Problem free to this day ! I know to listen to my PT and my body now and not ignore it. I also know what to do and how to avoid surgery.

If after 2-3 weeks of the above you are not 100 % feeling better, best get yourself to a doc and MRI if it is that bad. Not a muscle or tendon inflammation, maybe worse. JMHO
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline JockC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shoulders
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2011, 05:20:00 PM »
Too many archers have shoulder problems.  I'm one of them.  Several things have helped in addition to the good info above:
1) bow pullbacks on your offside
2) exercises, especially rows and inverted pushups, on both sides equally.  There have been a few good articles in TBM and one on the Instinctive Archer CD
3) shoulder stretches.  I didn't get better until I started doing deadhangs from a pullup bar using full body weight
4) a commitment to rotator cuff exercises
Jock
TGMM Family of the Bow
Hunting should be hard.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©