3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Late season hunting in the snow  (Read 350 times)

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Late season hunting in the snow
« on: December 29, 2010, 08:57:00 AM »
We don't get to hunt much in the snow as some of you do but I gotta tell ya, it's a great time to be out. You can see exactly where the deer are going and under which trees they are feeding. Its a great time to hunt. We are expecting rain in the next few days with temps in the mid 50's so our light snow cover will be gone soon.

Another cool thing about it is you sure can see deer or anything for that matter moving from a long way off and of course if you do happen to shoot one tracking is a breeze.

Let it SNOW!
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Late season hunting in the snow
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 09:12:00 AM »
Hey Tom......I've got a fantastic 35 acre farm about 2 minutes from my house.  Just before Christmas the place was loaded with deer.  I got up early this morning thinking the best.  Didn't see a deer??   :dunno:   Took a quick walk around the 20 acre corn field stubble and not a single deer track.  Foxes galore but no deer.  The snow hit the ground on Sunday night and although we only have a few inches on the ground it sure told the story.    "[dntthnk]"  

I'll give it a week or so and see if the deer move back in......it's always been a great late season property but things change.  Oh well   :rolleyes:

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 09:15:00 AM »
Best learning experience you can get! As Tim said, sometimes you are dumbfounded at what you find (or dont find!)
David M. Conroy

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 09:20:00 AM »
It's cool around here for the first 6 inches. it's the next 4 feet that bring ya down. Ground hunting the short pines in the snow is my favorite thing to do this time of year.

Offline PICKNGRIN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 09:21:00 AM »
I have been enjoying some late season hunts here in Iowa also. I still have an antlerless tag I can try and fill.  Right now we have about 6 inches of snow.  It is a great time to be out!  I have been seeing quite a few, just not close enough.  Our season runs thru Jan. 10.  Good luck!

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 09:23:00 AM »
Hunting in the snow IS great!!!

Details about deer movement are revealed and sometimes you find a piece of the puzzle when you are in familiar ground, that you never noticed before.

The snow somehow looses it`s joy about mid March when it is still knee deep, and what ain`t covered in snow, is covered in ICE!  :D

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 09:24:00 AM »
The Long Island bow season ends on the 31st so I will be out on New Years eve morning hoping to get a nice fat doe. We just got close to 20 inches of snow so it should be fun. It is suppose to be near 40 degrees this weekend too.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline mmisciag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 09:29:00 AM »
Was out this morning. Lots of sign in the snow. Hunting from the ground I saw three doe. They saw me as well. Never got closer the 50 yards.

This afternoon, I will be in a tree! You gotta love the snow.

Back to work...

Martin

Offline stikbowshooter

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 09:30:00 AM »
Hunting in the snow is AWESOME!  That is until you get a couple feet of it and the drifts go all the way up to your waist.  The deer around here really are working for food right now.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2010, 09:34:00 AM »
I am going to assume that if you can see stuff moving a long ways off because of the snow that the same would be true of anything that you might be hunting.

How far off can I be?...lol

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2010, 09:40:00 AM »
Mudd, I'm not moving.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Day Dreamer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2010, 09:52:00 AM »
Im with ArrowK9, lots of snow here NE OHIO. To much of anything you tend to get tired of it. Dont really mind the snow to much, it's the cold that comes with it. I wanted the hunt yesterday but the wind with 25 degree temps keep me inside.

Ernest

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2010, 10:15:00 AM »
3" on the ground here. I have an 50 acre alfalfa field in front of the house, that I'm able to hunt around.

Deer are herded up, counted over 45 last night, and they were still coming out of the woods at dark. I haven't seen this many herded since the early 90's!

Running out of time, season ends this Sunday and rain is coming to wash it all away!

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2010, 10:19:00 AM »
Let's not forget about us northern brothers! Unfortunately we don't have a late season, but luckily we get to hunt early season in the snow too! I actually prefer no snow as I don't like people to be able to track where I go, know where my stands are, and figure out what the deer are doing. I find that if I've done my homework properly, snow only helps the weekend warriors. Not to rain on the parade here, as snow does add something special to a deer hunt, but just thought I'd throw these things in. Oh yeah...snow does make for great pix!...Ryan

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2010, 11:21:00 AM »
We got a late archery season in Pa. Matter of fact going out tonight to try to fill a tag or two. We have had snow for a couple of weeks so there are more deer tracks that you can imagine. I live in town and saw deer tracks in my driveway this morning when I went out to get the paper. I know a couple of spots where there were a lot of acorns left on the ground, good place to hunt later in the second season.

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2010, 01:00:00 PM »
I don't get to hunt much in snow ether but love it. Most of our hunts are in August and September. I was stalking deer in my wool socks yesterday were a couple of weeks ago there was 24" of snow. We have had so much rain this month,up to 14" of rain in places. I had planned on hunting in snow but instead it was bare ground.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2010, 01:30:00 PM »
here is the view from my tree stand this am. We have 35 inches on the ground. Season ends Friday at sunset  
Make a life, not a living

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2010, 01:32:00 PM »
TJ, same here for us just South of ya in TN.... Snow hunting is a treat we totally enjoy.

One problem and only one I can think of..... Going in for morning hunts after the snow has been around a few days you sound like a small army on a forced march !!! Crunch, Crunch, Crunch. I hate that. Still saw deer today, just no shots.
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2010, 05:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by NoCams:
TJ, same here for us just South of ya in TN.... Snow hunting is a treat we totally enjoy.

One problem and only one I can think of..... Going in for morning hunts after the snow has been around a few days you sound like a small army on a forced march !!! Crunch, Crunch, Crunch. I hate that. Still saw deer today, just no shots.
Exactly.  Hunting in the snow is interesting and educational but I still don't know how to still-hunt in it.

Offline bofish-IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2010, 06:47:00 PM »
I like a fresh snow but a couple days of freezing and it gets so crunchy they can hear you moving a couple hundred yards away. Yes it is easier to see and read sign in the snow, but after a few days of crunching around I look forward to seeing dirt again. Plus the cold amplifies the stand creaks.
PBS  Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©