3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: your thought  (Read 411 times)

Offline illwhttail

• Trad Bowhunter
your thought
« on: December 29, 2010, 11:15:00 PM »
I have my bowtech for trade on a recurve on another site and a guy wants to trade me a morrison 15in cocobola Ilf riser with tradtech blackmax carbon limbs it's 60"   36#@28".  My bow is worth about $300-350 could I get some oppinions on value of his bow. Also im a newbee on recurves so i'm looking for a starter.
Thanks.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: your thought
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 11:26:00 PM »
Sounds like a good deal,the Morrison ILF riser was probably around $480+ and TT Blackmax Carbon limbs run around $220,these are new prices.But I would say a good price on the Morrison setup would be around $500+,and that would be a very nice starter.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 11:27:00 PM »
Sounds good!
David M. Conroy

Offline Ron+dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 11:27:00 PM »
im no expert so as to value i cant help you but i do know that trad is awesome and i gave away a compound to make more room for recurves morrison makes a nice bow so i think you should ask your self does it seem like a fair trade to you also you will get lots of great advice on here so welcome to trad and the gang theres no going back from here !
>>>--------> <--------<<<
" the happiness that is found sleeping under tents is unbelievable. one night in tents is worth three in town" -bruce chatwin in far journeys

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 11:29:00 PM »
That's probably not a bad deal.  Morrison makes an excellent product that holds its value well.  Just the Morrison riser new would be quite a bit more than that.  36 lb limbs may seem to be light, but would actually be great for learning your form and you could keep an eye open for some heavier limbs.  The ILF system is very versatile.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline illwhttail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 11:32:00 PM »
Thanks for the help guys.  Sounds like this might be the one.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 12:03:00 AM »
It is my belief that no matter the values, if both parties are happy with the trade, it's a good trade.

But that's just the way I think.

I know that over time things have a way of evening out. I mean I may trade down, up or sideways.

The important thing is that you're happy with whatever you end up with.

A lot of times the important thing for me is just the trading. My dad always said I'd rather trade than eat when I'm hungry and that there are days that I'd trade for a brush pile if someone would provide the matches to burn it with..lol

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 01:19:00 AM »
First off, I know very little about bow values whatsoever, and usually try to follow the advice Mudd gave above.  That said, I'm pretty sure that with each year a used compound would lose value (there are tons of compound guys who trade in each year for the new model).  Meanwhile, I don't think that is necessarily true for good stickbows; I'd suspect they would retain a fair amount of their value unless twisted limbs or something.
"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Offline carpenter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 04:49:00 AM »
I would trade.
Howard Hill Wesley Special  HH Halfbreed

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 11:35:00 AM »
I'd make that trade all day! Better do it fore he changes his mind! HA! Jason

Offline Archer Fanatic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2010, 01:29:00 PM »
Well said Mudd.

Offline greyghost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2010, 01:34:00 PM »
Yes sir, what Mudd said. No matter what the value as long as both party's are happy and satisfied.

Earl

Offline illwhttail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2010, 01:41:00 PM »
I agree with you mudd.  It's not about getting over on someone, it's about me not knowing anything about recurves.  Sure don't want to get snooker'd.

Offline camoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2010, 01:52:00 PM »
I would do it. Trying to get rid of my compound now too. It also seems compounds are like computers and cars, they don't hold their value for very long.
US Army Staff Sergeant
1984-1990
2004-Present
Kosovo - 2005
Iraq - 2008
Afghanistan - Soon

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2010, 05:37:00 PM »
I would do it too.................the fact that it is on another site check to see that the 'trader' is for a for real regular poster. Never hurts to be sure; 'trades' are the most vulnerable deal out there.

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2010, 06:22:00 PM »
that sounds like a good trade to me. few years back i traded a high end compound for a cheap recurve, cheap longbow and hunting knife.  never could shoot the recurve at all, loved the longbow but got rid of it (dont ask), and still have that knife, the finest little hunting knife ive ever owned!

think i did pretty well there.
is it September yet??

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2010, 08:23:00 PM »
As Bjorn sez,  be wary.  Aside from that, I would agree that Bob Morrison builds excellent bows.

I have been out of circulation for a few years so I don't know anything about the ILF system.  I agree that 36# may be a bit too light but it is always better to start light when learning to shoot traditionally.

Keep in mind that you will not be able to legally hunt with that set-up due to the low poundage so  you're looking at another investment down the line for new limbs but, for the value of the trade, if you think you will be happy with it, go for it!

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2010, 08:31:00 PM »
I second what Bjorn has advised. I've made two trades and one sale with Trad Gangers in December (my first ever here).  All three times I did a search on the fellows to see that they were regulars here.  My theory being if you work with a regular poster they will treat you right. 100% so far!

YOur deal sounds very good, especially if you are happy with it.

Offline illwhttail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2010, 04:43:00 PM »
Well the guy backed out he wanted a lighter pound bow.  I sure appreciate all the replies from everyone.   Thanks scott.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2010, 10:01:00 PM »
I would do the trade in a hot second and get a set of Dryad limbs in a good hunting weight for it; Or a set of Morrisons.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©