3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Question about Coyote hunting? Well advice please  (Read 473 times)

Offline Tatorbones

• Trad Bowhunter
Question about Coyote hunting? Well advice please
« on: December 30, 2010, 03:12:00 AM »
A friend of mine has this coyote that keeps killing chickens and ducks of his. I am wanting really bad to go over there and shoot it. Everything he tells me about them and when I read about them it is going to be a hard hunt. I've never hunted a yote but hear they are very smart and I know what area he comes from and his path he takes but he slowed down now that it is winter.

Can anybody give me calling tips, and just plan hunting tips, how would you go about this hunt?
If it is easy where is the fun. That is why I use a stick and string. The only sight I need is with my eyes.

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Question about Coyote hunting? Well advice please
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 04:53:00 AM »
if you know what area he is coming from, you should set up a natural blind on the ground within 15 yrds of his entrance route. i would also set up a tree stand  somewhere in the area to give no more than15 yrds from his route in. i also wouldnt do a bunch of calling, he is coming to your friends place for dinner! i think this would spook him quiet ambush i think is the way to go camo up head to toe and hope ya dont stink he will wind ya. good luck  with this coyote. i hope to see some pics of him. you should also set up a trail cam if ya got one this way you can pattern him. ruddy
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 05:04:00 AM »
someone here at tg has mentiond that jan-march is there breeding season, you might want to look into getting a yote call. something that mimics a yote howling the yips and barks, make him think he is being challenged for breeding in his territory he' look for you. i would not use a raspy coaxer wounded rabbit call, he already knows where to come for dinner. get his hackles up and challenge him for his territory. ruddy

Offline iaduckhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 07:13:00 AM »
Broketooth has some good points. I'd add KEEP the wind in your favor, use a good blind & a decoy will keep it's attention focused away from your drawing movments. A fake chicken for a coop hunt or a coyote decoy for a breeding challange. Good luck to ya!!!
Life in the fast lane is no place for a tricycle

Offline GreenJeans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 07:35:00 AM »
All the above advice is good. However, after hunting and trapping predators both on and off the job for 20 some years I have found out one thing, there comes a time for "killing" instead of "hunting". You have a known problem animal that is targeting your buddy's animals. That is a dog that needs "killing". I can only assume that he has seen the coyote with a chicken or duck. If he hasn't seen the coyote hauling one off, what kind of evidence is left on site? I'm all about the challenge of trad gear but there comes a time when you need something with a little more "reach".
Remember--Some People are alive simply because it is illegal to shoot them.

Some people can paint the Sistine chapel, some people can finger-paint, and some people just eat the Crayons....

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 11:40:00 AM »
I was about to say the same thing as GreenJeans on the subject.  This dog is a killer and flipping an arrow at it is not the solution.  Coyotes have better noses than deer and see everybit as good if not better, too.  They educate faster than deer, as well.  Once you shoot over or under it, if you can play the wind well enough for it not to detect you, then it will come back at night to eat.  
Best is to just grab a gun and shoot it the first time you see it.  Then go bowhunting those that are not stock killers.  I needed to put the local pack on their best behavior two weeks ago due to their getting too bold around the barn yard.  
To learn a bunch go to Predatormastersforums.com.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 04:53:00 PM »
Tip #1:  Get a gun.

Offline Tatorbones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 05:30:00 PM »
That is true but where we are at i would have to use a shotgun. He has enough land where we can shoot a shotgun but still a few acres shy of a rifle. I might just have to put the bow away for this one and hammer down with a shotgun. thank you all for your help i always come up with questions about stuff and yall are a big help always.
If it is easy where is the fun. That is why I use a stick and string. The only sight I need is with my eyes.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 06:30:00 PM »
I would find how its getting there and out of there. look for tracks.
Any kind of a blind it will notice ,it most likely knows what the place should look like. I would get down wind from its path and just wait for it.If its comming at night your going to get cold.Calling only going to work if its in the area and you might get the wrong one.  Get a trapper to set some snares out. Are you sure its a coyote and not a fox or racoons ect.Go get them.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline fredhill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 06:46:00 PM »
i've shot a few yotes with a bow over the years and missed a few too. i have taken hair off a coyote too many times, there is not much lee way up and down and because of their fur they look bigger than they are. my friends and i do alot of deer driving in the late season. i can tell you that coyotes are the first animal out of the woodlot or brush patch being pushed. if there is a coyote in the drive they come out almost immediately after the start. the second they get a whiff of human they sneak away. the deer are always 5-10 minutes behind them. i vote for the shotgun.

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2010, 07:20:00 PM »
Ditto on the Gun. Just kill the dirty rotten fawn eatin #@*"&'s
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2010, 08:10:00 PM »
If you really want to get him with a bow, you certainly can, but you're going to have to create the setup to do it.

You're basically going to have to get him coming to a bait and use a blind and you're probably going to have to do it at night.

First, you'll want to identify his travel route and the time of day he uses it.  I've found them to be fairly habitual unless shot at.  I assume he's coming around human scent regularly, so that's a bonus for you.  If you have a trail camera, set it up along his travel route.  Take a small bit of dog food, douse it with bacon grease and put it in a spot in front of your camera. If you can, refresh the dog food/bacon grease every day.  Don't leave a lot of it, you don't want to feed every hound in the neighborhood. It will only take a couple of nights for him to start seeking it out.

Next you'll need to create a blind.  The best would be to use a pop-up type, but if you don't have one, some netting will do.  You will just have to be extra conscious of your movements. You'll want to put it on the down wind side of the trail.  Brush your blind in well and give yourself a clear shot to your bait spot.  I'd say the ideal distance will be from 12-15 yards.  If you don't have a pop up blind, make sure you use some fabric of some sort to fill in the voids in your blind.  You want your silhouette to be completely blocked.

For your seat, make sure whatever you use is comfortable and silent.  You don't want it to squeak when you move to shoot.  The best thing to do would be to dig you a pit to stand in and use the back of the pit to sit on.  Use a piece of foam to keep from freezing your butt off.  If the ground is frozen, use a block of firewood. Pic a seat height that will require a minimum of moment for you.

The kicker in all of this will be that you'll probably be shooting at night.  You'll need to rig up a light.  You can rig up a light directly above your bait by using a battery powered blind light.  They are battery powered LEDs and give out a surprising amount of light.  Get the green LED ones.  Coyotes can't see in that color spectrum, but you can. A luminock might be a good choice, too.

When the time comes, prep yourself first.  You'll want to be as scent free as possible.  If you're using a blind, you don't need to worry about camo.  If using a ground blind, camo yourself up real good.  Make sure you darken your face and your hands.  Also make sure you're not wearing anything that will snap, crackle, pop, or squeak. Wear rubber boots and use scent killer.  Make sure your bow is silent as well. No rattles.

When you get to your blind, place your bait in a little hole under your light and cover it with some dirt.  Leave a couple of tidbits on top of the dirt.  Don't touch anything with your bare hands.

As you settle into your blind, make sure everything you need is within easy reach.  Again, you don't want any extra movement.  Take some cover scent (doe urine will work) and spray it all over your blind.  Make sure you get settled well before you expect the coyote to show up.

When he comes, everything will happen pretty quickly.  He should stop and inspect the bait. Let him eat the top pieces.  You'll want to wait to shoot while he's digging.  You want to hit him through the lungs. Broadside is best. If, by chance, you miss on the first shot, don't panic.  Just don't make a sound.  He might dash off, but if you remain quiet, he'll come right back. If you end up missing him and spooking him, well, then you'll have to change tactics.

You'll definitely want to practice shooting at something at night.  Some folks have a difficult time if they can't see their arrow.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

Offline horsehairhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2010, 01:04:00 AM »
Looper-I like the dogfood/bacon bait idea.  Have you ever used an electronic motion decoy?  I have a situation similiar to Tatebones and want to be sure I get the 'yote dead before I get him educated.

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2010, 05:04:00 AM »
Yeah, I've used a motion decoy.  It works great if you're using a shotgun or a rifle, but not so much with a bow.  There are a few problems that arise when using a call/decoy and trying to shoot them with a bow.  First, they come in on high alert.  You're way more apt to get busted.  Second, they always come in from down wind.  Third, they always hang up out of bow range and zero in on the slightest movement or sound.  When they decide to go after a motion decoy, they're moving way too fast to make an accurate shot with a bow, and it only takes about .0002 seconds for them to realize it's not something they want. Then its adios.

I'd rather not intentionally set them on high alert.  They're wary enough.  I've found my bait scheme works well.  Once they start finding the food, they'll come trotting right to it. Just don't miss too many times.

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2010, 05:21:00 AM »
Scatter gun or traps take your pick. It would be nice to get him with trad gear, but like Green Jeans stated so plainly.......there comes a time for killing and not hunting.
This is a problem animal and needs to be taken out, if you try to get too close to him without getting the deed done, you may run him off for awhile until you just get frustrated and quit, then he comes back to start the killing all over again. All you've accomplished is educating a coyote, then he will be nearly impossible to kill or catch.

Set some traps then when you catch the thief.....can put an arrow in the SOB the next day with your trad bow if you want to, no guns involved that way.  :saywhat:
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2010, 06:18:00 AM »
i like it looper! i like it alot im gonna be chasin after thes yotes after deer season. im just hopin i can get some of the other tg fellas here in eastern nc to join me once in a while. chasin yotes sounds like alot of fun. ruddy

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2010, 09:57:00 AM »
Sounds to me that perhaps Looper has done this before?? I'm storing all this info myself! Not to highjack a thread but does the same apply for wolves? Thinking about setting a bait this or next week....Thanks...Ryan

Offline horsehairhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2010, 11:39:00 AM »
Looper- Thanks for the advice.  I'm going to use a rifle because this one coyote is pretty ballsy. I'll start baiting in the next few days and see if I can make it work.  I assume you bait around the same time everyday so the coyote visits around the same time?

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2010, 01:32:00 PM »
If the coyote is coming in for the chickens ,he most likely has a set route and any thing thats diferant blind ect he's going to pick up on. a decoy or calling close to the place is just going to scare it off. But siting up a half mile away from the place might work good.If you realy want it IMO trapping is your best bet.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2010, 03:49:00 PM »
Horsehairhunter, he's probably already set in his routine.  I haven't found that the time of day I set the bait matters.  I just want it to be there for his nightly excursion.  

Thumper Dunker, you're right.  He'll need to set the blind up a leave it for a couple of nights.  They will be wary of it at first, but the next night they'll be marking all around it.  I've moved a blind and sat in it the same night.  They definitely give it a wide berth the first time they see it. The next night, though, they'll reach under it and steal the bag you had your bait in and forgot to bring out with you.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©