3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Getting old  (Read 1330 times)

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
Getting old
« on: December 30, 2010, 06:40:00 AM »
Every athlete has there  day in the sun when they are at the top of their game. I have noticed in the last five years that my shooting has gotten worse. I had to drop weight from 60 pound bows down to 45 and 50 pound bows but still can't shoot like I did ten years ago. It gets frustrating not to be able to make the shots you used to, guess I will have to move up and shoot them close.lol.

Any other older fells notice a decline in shooting as you get older.

Offline Irish Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Getting old
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 07:00:00 AM »
Birthdays! But, I hope that I keep having them. Amen Brother.

Offline fivebears

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 07:19:00 AM »
Just remember,the alternative really sucks!

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 07:39:00 AM »
Wooly,man I sure know what you are talking about. I turned 61 a few months ago and took some time to reflect and came up with this; I love this sport so much that I don't care if I have to shoot a 20# bow from 5' i'm going to keep on keepin on! Yeah I know I can't shoot like in the past but dammit I can still shoot.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 07:42:00 AM »
I'll be 57 in two months.  I thought I was doing ok until knee swelling the last of Sept. After the typical Doc visits, MRI, more Doc visits he asked what kind of things I do.  I told him. He advised that I should act my age!  I asked him my minds age or my knee's age?  I'm not about to start acting like 57 whenI've acted like a kid all my life!

Offline Tater 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 07:46:00 AM »
Don't dwell on what you can't do anymore or where you used to be.

Look at it from what you can do and how fortunate you are to to still be able to do the things you love!

Positive attitude..!!
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
PBS Associate
Colorado Bowhunters Association

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 08:21:00 AM »
This getting older isn't for the faint of heart..lol

When I had to go down in draw weight it gave me a better opportunity to watch the beautiful arc of my arrow longer...lol

Hang in there!! Keep shooting as long as you want to and try to enjoy it as much as possible.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 08:27:00 AM »
Im down in draw weight, but I shoot better than ever. Sometimes we get in a rut as we age and "think" we have this stuff down pat. Try a shooting clinic. Maybe we will find out that we can shoot even better than ever and actually, by doing things differently, pick up an extra pound or two in draw weight at the same time. I'm 56 and have hunted every night this week, something I wouldn't have done 20 years ago.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 08:36:00 AM »
54 and went from 63 to 51,but they still die if it is put in the right spot
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 08:43:00 AM »
I'm happy shooting 55-60 pounds as opposed to 70 pounds in my younger years, but stuff still seems to die with lesser poundages. At 63, i hope to be pulling bows for a long time to come.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline penrosefred

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2010, 09:00:00 AM »
I know exactly how you feel, I am down, want to shoot 50 but 45 feels so much better, I will be 70 in feb. and I sure ain't complaning, glad I can shoot anything.
I have been blessed, beyond measure.

Offline penrosefred

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2010, 09:02:00 AM »
I ment 69 in Feb. Can't even keep track of my own age.

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2010, 09:05:00 AM »
My medicare kicks in the first of the year...65  :scared:  But I'm having more fun and more hunts than ever.  When that rocking chair finally grabs me, I want as many memories as possible.  Oh yea, I'm still practicing medicine.  Seems I've been able to convince my young associates I still know something...smoke and mirrors  :)  

Gotta keep going doing the things you love!  I hope the 65th year is as good as 64th...Doc

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2010, 09:08:00 AM »
I went through some health issues recently and went from 6'3" 205 lbs to 6'2" 155 lbs in six months.  I'm not what I was with my 55#@28" hunting bow (I draw 30").  Working on it, but I have blown the dust off my 43 to 50 pound bows lately (and just picked up another).

Sucks to get old.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2010, 09:13:00 AM »
I'll be 59 in June, ,Can't do things like I used to but I still do everything I always did. The important thing is to stay active....I see folks at the gym every day that are older than me but very active and you can see the difference compared to folks that are not active. Toby Keith said it well in song , Not as good as I once was, but as good once as I ever was.......drop down in weight, get closer, do what ever it takes to enjoy what you like to do. Now where did I leave my keys ???
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Mike Most

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2010, 09:36:00 AM »
Yeppers, I think my bride of 40 years wants me in the rocking chair at 61.(we are both 61). It is not my intent to spend my days there, as I would rather go out rolling off the roof so to speak. That being said, I find great enjoyment in sharing our passion with the younger crowd..

Pass the bottle of glucosamine.....  :coffee:  

Mike
"It Shall be Life" (Ten Bears to Josie Wales)
------------------                Michael Most-Adkins Texas

Offline bad arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2010, 09:39:00 AM »
My dad always liked to quote Steve McQueen- "Growin' old ain't for sissies!"....Phil

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2010, 09:44:00 AM »
I am 64.  Have not really changed dra weight but....  I am staying between 45-50 or so lbs.

My bigest problem is health related.  Since my open heart stuff 7 years ago I have done well untin this year.  Had a stent put in.  I now find myself running out of air mor quickly.. COPD from what my Dr. tells me.

I am not going to quit but I have modified my methods.....
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline bear1336

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2010, 09:44:00 AM »
I an 64 years ago and my effective range has dropped from 25 to 30 yds down to 15 to 20 yards and my current hunting bow weight is a set of Bear T/D limbs 44# at my draw length. Yep things have changed a lot have to hunt closer to the roads and the back yard now days.
But I am still going to hunt somehow.

Dave
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, with bible in hand and loudly proclaim...WOW...What a Ride!!!

Offline penrosefred

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2010, 09:45:00 AM »
I must be senile, I was still wrong about my age, I was born 2-14-1932 what ever that is.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©