3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Getting old  (Read 1342 times)

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Getting old
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2010, 09:48:00 AM »
I'm 57 but haven't dropped bow weight yet but I know that there's a chance someday I'll get old and will have to!  I'm actually in better shape now than in my 30's but I work at it.  I tried to drop bow weight to the mid 60's but I just can't do it so I'm shooting my little 80# longbow and enjoying every minute of it as long as I can.  Like somebody else said, I want as many memories as I can make before I'm in the position of not being able to go any more.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2010, 09:56:00 AM »
Originally posted by penrosefred:
I must be senile, I was still wrong about my age, I was born 2-14-1932 what ever that is.
Hard to say.  Usually they put the ones that far back in Roman numerals.  My Dad was born in MCMXII.  ;-)
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2010, 10:02:00 AM »
Thats 1912

Offline Tater 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2010, 10:05:00 AM »
I turned 57 in November, also had a little health glitch this June, contracted Phnuemonia, which turned into Plurosy, spent a week in the hospital with a tube in my back lost 20 pounds and was weak as a kitten when I was released.

Worked hard to get back in shape and was chasing Elk in the High Country 6-7 miles a day at 10,000' by the first of September. Attitude.!! You can do things if you put your mind to it!

I am also back to shooting 60 + pounds on a regular basis,I have always worked out and kept myself in better than average shape.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
PBS Associate
Colorado Bowhunters Association

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2010, 10:13:00 AM »
I am 62, I have had 4 surgeries in last 2 years, Have one more scheduled in about a month. Also need shoulder surgery, not going to do that. I have had enough of the slice and dice. I can shoot right now due to tubes in my chest. I have dropped to 35-40 pounds, shot better than ever last year. Better shooting was due to drop n bow weight and Rods Jenkins coaching. That man knows what he is talking about. As soon as I get these tubes removed and get thru the last surgery, I plan to hit as many 3Ds as possible this year. Take care of yourself!
John

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2010, 10:15:00 AM »
Few years back I started weakening due to statin reaction... went from 50# down, down, down until I was shooting 19#, but i was still shooting.   I'm back up to where my favorite 3D bow is 27# and last year I wanted to prove to myself i could hunt with my bows and did so successfully with a 42#.   Couldn't shoot it more than a couple of shots, but I practiced in two shot sessions till i could make those count.   Still doing therapy and working for 30# as a regular weight.   Point is, I'm still building and still shooting.   I"m 72.  If I had one bit of advice, it'd be to drop weight way ahead of when you think you need to.   You'll last longer.
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline Caddo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2010, 10:17:00 AM »
I'll be 57 in Feb. Still do pretty much what I've always done, jut do it a little slower now! Whats that saying, "I ain't as good as I once was, but I'm as good, once, as I ever was!"

LD
"If your gonna kick a tiger in the butt, you better have a plan for dealing with his teeth!

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2010, 10:39:00 AM »
I was 69 Christmas eve and still shoot 60 pounds. As far as health, my knees and a bout with plantar faciitis are about the extent of my infirmaries. Most of us are only as old as our minds. We have to get out and smell the roses or die in a rocking chair. I choose to stay active and exercise my mind by doing a lot of reading. Inactivity will put a person on the wrong side of the grass quicker than anything.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2010, 10:56:00 AM »
Originally posted by wollelybugger:
Thats 1912
Give that man a cigar!

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Lowrider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2010, 11:05:00 AM »
Just turned 58 this morning. Shooting about the same as I was at 48 which was lousy but I keep trying.

Offline Steertalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2010, 11:07:00 AM »
With all due respect...maybe you should re-examine the way you practice.  I am 53 and shooting better than I've ever shot in my life and I've also been increasing in draw weight over the years;  up to 82 lbs now.  My go-to bow is 72 lbs.  

Practice does not make perfect.  Perfect practice makes perfect

Brett
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold:  its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual like.  If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Joseph Stalin

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2010, 11:11:00 AM »
I remember an older gentlemen tell me "if I knew that if I was going to live this long I would of took better care of myself" I thought it was funny in my twenty's but now after 27 years of working hard and playing even hard it was some advice I should of paid better attention to.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline Lowrider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2010, 11:12:00 AM »
Thankfully I was just kidding. I actually shoot better than I ever have. I recently attended Rick Welchs school and learned more than I ever knew before. He really put me in awe watching his shooting and really helped me a lot.

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2010, 11:19:00 AM »
I’ll be 69 in March and shoot every day. I shot 60 to 80 # in the early days and had and 6oogr arrow flying around 180 feet / sec. to day I shoot 54# and have a 600gr arrow flying at 188 feet / sec.
The new material and bow design made up the difference. I can still shoot 60# but for only 1 - 5 shots accurately.  Arrow flight and a sharp Brodhead  are more important then #’s
That all said it’s a lot harder getting my fat a$$ in the woods these days. Everything  seams to hurt more.
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline Rick Perry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2010, 11:20:00 AM »
all I know is this  .......... whoever the genius was that said "Life begins at 40" was a lying SOB !!! .. 8^)

its the beginning all right  ................ the beginning of the end !!!!

LOL

keep fightin till the end !!!!! ....... 8^)
"Pick a spot"

RLP

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2010, 11:22:00 AM »
And remember: age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill.    ;)

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2010, 11:24:00 AM »
I turned 65 earlier this month and God has graced me with good genes and so far good health. I've never had a serious issue of any kind and still shoot mid fifties poundage bows and have no aches and pains but I do try to walk briskly for 45 minutes or so 3-4 times a week and can feel the difference when I don't. My wife can REALLY tell when I don't and becomes an excellent incentive for me.

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2010, 11:27:00 AM »
At 67, I've dropped bow weight from the 82# that I was shooting in 1992 down to where most of my bows are 55# - 57#. I still shoot these with ease. I did notice this year that some of my git up and go actually got up and left without me. Guess it's because of my bum knee.
However, I do know this, "I may not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was."

:thumbsup:
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2010, 11:49:00 AM »
It is interesting how we all feel about what it is we do..  Not the bow weight but the activity.

I really think "runnin" with my students keep me going.....
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline Canadabowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2010, 11:52:00 AM »
63 with an artificial hip and a cranky knee but I actually get out more now than ever before. I just seem to be at my best out in the woods even if I move slower and hunt closer to the trail. I never was a great shot or shot heavy bows but at 20 yards and under my 48# and sharp arrows get the job done. I am going to build myself a new bow this year and move up to 50-52# if I can.Keep on truckin!! Bob
"non illegitimus carborundum est"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©