3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Getting old  (Read 1333 times)

Offline Andy Cooper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Getting old
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2010, 12:05:00 PM »
Interesting thread. I had a shoulder injury several years ago that resulted in the doctor telling me not to lift weights or shoot bows over 50#. I followed his instrux as long as I could stand it, then began to exercise again. I switched to a Bowflex to lessen the chances of reinjury and I shot only 50# bows...until this month. I've been feeling so much better that I bought some 62# limbs for my Dye. After 3 shooting sessions of 12-15 arrows, no problems. Sixby is building me a 70# Eaglewing hybrid I hope to hunt bison and buffalo with.

I walk about 15 miles weekly and use the Bowflex and some light dumb bells 4 times a week. I'm beginning to wonder how much stronger I can actually get. Very much looking forward to retirement, so I can shift into an even higher gear for the remainder of my time on this rock. I'll be 55 years young in February.  I did give up playing basketball a couple of years ago...but that's the ONLY concession I'm makin' to age!

:bigsmyl:
:campfire:       TGMM Family of the Bow       :archer:      

My Father's bow rack is the sky.

Offline doowop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2010, 12:24:00 PM »
I am 61 and still do many things I used to do, just differently. Adaptation! Still shooting 52 lbs hunting and gone from a V-Twin to a Goldwing.

Offline bro-n-arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2010, 12:30:00 PM »
I'm almost 72 now,Shooting as good as ever, which isn't very good,After surviving stoke, 4 cancer surgerys,CHEMO,broken leg,I'm just loving each new day the LORD has given me!
Psalm 71:18 Now also when I am old and gray-headed,O God, do not forsake me,Until I declare your strength to this generation.

Offline camoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2010, 12:34:00 PM »
Be happy you can still shoot. My dad and I used to shoot when I was a kid and now he not only cant shoot but he cant walk around in the woods either.
US Army Staff Sergeant
1984-1990
2004-Present
Kosovo - 2005
Iraq - 2008
Afghanistan - Soon

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2010, 12:35:00 PM »
It's good to see active folks....My Dr. told me at 54 that he was proud of me for getting in shape and taking care of my self at middle age. I asked him if he really thought I was going to make it to 108.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline BCWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2010, 12:46:00 PM »
Most of you fellas have a few years on me but I feel the aches and pains a little more every day. It takes me longer to do alot of things but I still get em done. I blame it on the type of work I've done. I've always said that oil field years are like dog years!
 As far as shooting my bow, I'm shooting better than I've ever have. Shoulder issues have been a problem though. I've dropped in bow weight.
 I like to shoot 70 lbs but 60 feels so good I just go ahead a shoot 45 to 50!
  ;)

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2010, 01:17:00 PM »
Happy Birthday Lowrider !!

And..... Happy New Year!

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2010, 01:22:00 PM »
I'll be 75 in March but I ain't slowin down at all....no I'm not!....well maybe just a little bit...   :rolleyes:

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline elk nailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2010, 01:25:00 PM »
I am 62 and I still shoot pretty good.

Offline Archer Fanatic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2010, 01:25:00 PM »
I will be 64 in Febuary and have been shooting since 1968. I still shoot but not as much as I use too but it is still fun. Our son will be getting out of the Army in June and he has started to shoot again. I will shoot more then than now. One of my reasons I don't shoot as much now is cause I don't have anyone to shoot with. Plus my priorities is different.

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2010, 01:38:00 PM »
I'm 65 - beat Tippit to Medicare by a few months - have two artificial knees - better then the OEM models btw - and shoot in the mid-40#range. And like most of the rest of us apparently, I firmly believe that the point of life is not to arrive at your funeral well rested from the rocking chair, but to slide in at the last minute, beat up bow in one hand, arrows in the other, screaming "Yeehaw, What a ride!!!!"
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Andy Cooper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2010, 04:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by dragon rider:
I'm 65 - beat Tippit to Medicare by a few months - have two artificial knees - better then the OEM models btw - and shoot in the mid-40#range. And like most of the rest of us apparently, I firmly believe that the point of life is not to arrive at your funeral well rested from the rocking chair, but to slide in at the last minute, beat up bow in one hand, arrows in the other, screaming "Yeehaw, What a ride!!!!"
EXACTLY!!! I hope to die hunting, lovin' on my bride, or sleeping...my favorite three things to do...and don't ask me if they're in order!!!

:biglaugh:      :archer2:
:campfire:       TGMM Family of the Bow       :archer:      

My Father's bow rack is the sky.

Offline RonD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2010, 05:36:00 PM »
The mind is ageless and dreams are forever. It's the body that is the tattletail. Pushiing 68 and intend to keep shooting bows as long as I can. My doctor encourages me to get out and shoot and hunt. Like Mr. Wightman the statins have had their effects on me and I now down to drawing 41# to 44#. Keep on trucking guys.

Offline Blacktail101

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2010, 06:17:00 PM »
I was just talking to South Cox on our last adventure about getting older we are both 41 and i said we are half way there give or take a few years we have to start doubling up on our hunting adventures because im to damn young to feel this damn old

Offline Jmgcurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2010, 06:56:00 PM »
Yes, there are more aches and pains now, but some of "our" shooting "worse" could be more related to eyesight declinethan other physical decline. Therefore, concentration is more critical than it was in past years. Put some bifocals on and enjoy!

I think shooting is more enjoyable now than ever...
I went into the second century of life and the forth decade of this fine sport.
Life is not about surviving the storm, but learning to dance in the rain!
Blessed is the Nation whose God is the LORD,... Psalm 33:12

Offline Littlejake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2010, 07:19:00 PM »
I think the thing is to keep active that helps alot of things. And remember what the old bull said to the young bull!
Try and be the person your dog thinks you are...
PBS Regular Member

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2010, 07:19:00 PM »
i'll never die or get old.i want to live forever and fly around the moon lookin for a good campin spot.  :D    :D    :campfire:
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2010, 07:24:00 PM »
I walk a mile every other day. I shoot 20 yards, two arrows per round, 42 rounds = 84 shots and 1 mile of walking.
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline Lowrider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2010, 01:24:00 AM »
Mudd I just got back on here. Thanks for the birthday greeting.  Had knee surgery on the 22nd of Dec. and am walking around on it. Still a little sore but hope to be back in the woods soon. Happy New Year....

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: December 31, 2010, 07:29:00 AM »
Have you had your eyes tested recently?

I was suffering with some amount of decline in my shooting accuracy at anything more than ten yards

Turned out I wasn't picking a spot because I couldn't SEE a spot well beyond that distance

New glasses fixed me right up
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©