3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Getting old  (Read 1334 times)

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Getting old
« Reply #60 on: December 31, 2010, 08:23:00 AM »
Originally posted by Ray Hammond:
Have you had your eyes tested recently?

I was suffering with some amount of decline in my shooting accuracy at anything more than ten yards

Turned out I wasn't picking a spot because I couldn't SEE a spot well beyond that distance

New glasses fixed me right up
I'm junior to most all posters here at 45 but my physical health isn't declining, yet. It's my eyes. I need to get my eyes checked again and have my perscription changed. Seeing fuzzy targets is hard to pick a spot and release. Left eye is dominant and the weakest eye. Gotta do something....

Currently shooting a recurve at about 52#. At that weight I can hold the draw for a while if necessary.

Keep on truckin' all...
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: December 31, 2010, 10:39:00 AM »
Turned 67 this season. KIlled a bear, a buck and a turkey after dropping down to 55#. I had a mile to haul my deer out and the same with Laura's, except with hers the river was high enough to use the canoe. Hit the gym 4X a week (except during the hunting season). When I was  kid I remember reading a quote that went something like, "If I knew I'de live this long I would have taken better care of myself". I actually like the working out so it's not a chore for me. Ron W is right, I think. Keeping active and working out can go a long way keeping you active and healthy and in the woods.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: December 31, 2010, 12:23:00 PM »
The bad news is I've had to drop bow weight to 45#; the good news is at 62 I'm a lot more patient and able to sit still longer for closer shots.

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward

Adjust the sails!
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: December 31, 2010, 12:50:00 PM »
My right shoulder was so messed up by my early 50's that I could barely shoot a bow. While waiting a few months to get surgery on my shoulder when I was 53, I shattered my left collar bone and substantially damaged my left shoulder. I had the surgery on my right shoulder and was healing up when I was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer just after I turned 54. At that point I didn't think I would have to worry about getting old any more or ever shooting a bow again (because I thought death was imminent). But a year and a half later I was cancer free and back to shooting my bows. I am now 58. For the last year I have had bad elbow problems that have kept me from shooting as much, and I just had knee surgery two weeks ago from a hunting injury in September. I never thought I would have problems like these, but I do. I'm glad to still be alive and able to do physical things, including shooting my bows. We all need to be thankful for our blessings, because all too soon we will lose more of our abilities. Some of you guys who are much older than I am and still in the race are my heroes!

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: December 31, 2010, 01:22:00 PM »
oh yeah my shooting has slowed down some but hey i keep going even though the body is cracking up.  :biglaugh:  some days i feel old as dirt.
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: December 31, 2010, 02:58:00 PM »
About to turn 55. Working construction all my life, playing ball til 50, hunting hard ecery chance I had, has taken a toll on my body that has just started to show. Bad elbow, shoulder starins, bad knees, I'm still shooting 57# for the most part. One guy told me, you only get one body, you have to take care of it. My response was " when I'm done there won't be any good parts left to recycle". Live good, hunt hard, no regrets.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline swamper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: December 31, 2010, 05:16:00 PM »
comming up on 55,hunt hard as long as I can

Offline bobman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: December 31, 2010, 05:17:00 PM »
58 exercise regularly have aches I didn't used to have but still shoot my 70lb bows with ease

use it or lose it...you have to figure out an exercise program and stick to it or getting old sucks almost as bad as not getting old

Offline greyghost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: January 02, 2011, 02:42:00 PM »
Built my shoulders, elbow and hand back up over the last few years to get back to bow hunting. I went from 10 lbs bow to 50# and found out the other day I can shoot a 61/62# with ease.

Working out, eating right and staying active is the key (easy to say). Of course I have been a poor exaple of that.

Earl

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: January 02, 2011, 02:53:00 PM »
I just do everything slower with a rest here and there. I'll be 61 in May and have no problem with 55#

Offline KPaul

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: January 02, 2011, 02:53:00 PM »
At 59 I thought my hunting days were behind me with a bad hip and back.After hip replacement and dropping 40# I've taken 3 deer this year.Feel 10 yrs younger.Not going quietly or gently into that good night.I give this advice:take those extra pounds off and keep moving!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Men occasionally stumble over the truth,but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: January 02, 2011, 03:01:00 PM »
Well brothers of gray, keep the faith, as I had bypass a couple of years ago now I am realizing while it is an uphill battle, you CAN get there, just don't give up.

I turned 61 in Nov. and in Dec. this is what I got as a belated birthday present.

It only took 54 years to do, first ever, and doing some of my best shooting.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: January 02, 2011, 03:18:00 PM »
Had 2 ankle surgeries before I was 20. Left knee at 35 and the right knee at 47. Right foot redone at 40 and the left foot a 48. Shoot, I am almost completely rebuilt! I had some nerve damage issues in my lower neck and right shoulder at 52 and was told to quit shooting my bows. After a long heart to heart with the doc, we compromised at staying below 55#.
Took some serious work to get back to 54# but I'm quite comfortable with it now. Shooting 585-605 grains and feel good out to 25 yards....a touch more on a good day.
Started working out again to prepare for an elk hunt this fall and just to live better/longer. I've been in construction for 36 years now and will retire at age 60 in 58 months.
Contrary to what a lot of folks believe, you can workout after the age of 50 and still make significant gains in strength, flexibility and overall health and improve your quality of life (if you want too!).
Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline mickeys4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: January 02, 2011, 05:15:00 PM »
My mother-in-law had a small plaque that read,"Getting Old Is Not For Wimps".She has passed and this little quote often comes to mind.
"The longbow is the reason we don't speak French today,"

Offline flungonin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: January 02, 2011, 06:36:00 PM »
I have heard these sayings and worked with people that lived by these and look to each day as a challenge. "The only easy day was yesterday". I also have been blessed with good health, no broken bones, sprains, no surgerys, no hospitalizations. Just bald and have to wear glasses. Go figure, in March I turn 58. In the last four years I have been in the best shape of my life. Eating reasonably healthy, exercise and getting out in the woods and a positive attitude. By the way I have bows that I shoot, from #100 warbows to #33 Hickory selfbows.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: January 02, 2011, 06:52:00 PM »
I remember being on a 3D range and seeing an older man keeping up with his grandchildren and out shooting them with his longbow. He must have been close to 80 years old. God Bless That Man!

My wife asked me, "When you turn 65 are you still going to drive a pick-up truck?" I answered, "YES!" Turning 55 this year and ready for what it takes to keep me in the woods or on the range. Traditional Archery is a big part of my life and I'm gonna keep it that way!.... So long as I take care of the "honey-do list" first.   :rolleyes:  

... mike ...    :archer2:    ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Richard in OK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: January 02, 2011, 10:23:00 PM »
I turned 66 last October. No surgeries, but feel weaker some days, probably from statins. (You might want to have the doc check your testosterone level). But I have a 19 month old yellow lab who expects two walks a day. We go about a mile twice a day, through fields and rough ground. I have lost weight and the doc reduced my diabetes meds. If you stop moving you just become a better target.

Richard

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: January 02, 2011, 10:42:00 PM »
Glad to see there are so many of us old farts out there and that they are keeping active on so many different levels.......   :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: January 02, 2011, 11:24:00 PM »
I'll be 58 in two months. Here is a few tips I have learned.

1) Always take hero pictures with a hat on, especially if it rained.
2) Don't wear a tight, dressy looking plaid vest if you gained a little weight.
3) Don't get caught off guard by a ruthless, light fingered photographer (like your wife).

And to those of you who might be interested in the supernatural... a couple of years ago after a rain shower Winston Churchill's ghost was caught on camera with my bear!
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Offline WhiteOaks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: January 02, 2011, 11:27:00 PM »
Getting old certainly beats the alternative.
A world of opportunities awaits upwind but nothing waits downwind.

HH Wesley Special
Two Tracks Echo
Mohantongo Redtail
Mohawk Sparrow Hawk
Bear Alaskan
Bear Super 48
1958 Bear Kodiak

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©